Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '40 Ford steering box disassembly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Mar 11, 2019.

1. '40 Ford box out of Frank Maratta's original '30 coupe, I've found a rebuild kit but before I break anything how is the sector shaft supposed to come out? IMG_1041.jpg IMG_1042.jpg IMG_1043.jpg

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

once you got the tin cover off the back, it comes right out that hole. should just take pushing on the spline end. stiff from old grease and wear, but just push it out

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Just a thought about these, once you get it apart you may find that the upper race for the worm gear doesn't have an exposed shoulder to drift it out. If that's the case you can run a small weld bead across the face of it. That will usually loosen it up to the point of just falling out. You may already know this, but John Deere corn head grease is the preferred lube to use by many that mess with these boxes. Works great and doesn't leak around the gaskets and sector shaft seal like an oil will usually do. Good luck!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Just last week my son & I were taking one apart that the old lube inside had turned to shellac making disassembly near impossible. We dumped some gas into the cavity and let it sit for a while. It loosened it up to let the sector slide out.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. And I bet it smelled real good, too LOL.

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You arent kidding it smelled bad....my hands still had a tint of the stink 3 days later!

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

These boxes are easy to rebuild, and a great choice for vintage rods. Aerokroil works great for getting stubborn ones apart. It comes in a spray can...it's like penetrating oil/PB Blaster...but way better. Kind of expensive, but worth it. A little goes a long way. As far as the 40 Ford box goes, they're pretty tough. I cut the long input shaft down on one years ago and installed a more modern coupler so a different steering column could be used inside the car...just shows how versatile these old units can be, Cheap too!

Andy likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Bet your wife loved that!:eek:

10. '37 and newer boxes had bearings vs bushings. Much better. Re build parts are readily available from all the parts suppliers and not that expensive. The key thing is getting the right combo of gaskets on the worm gear cover to make sure the mesh between worm and roller is correct. I'll see if I can find the instructions, scan and add to this.
    RB

11. alchemy

alchemy

Bearings where? Ford steering boxes had bearings on the worm for years, and on the sector around '36. But went to bushings on the sector again after that.

12. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

What type of oil would one put in those steering boxes? I took mine apart today and it's in very good shape. Except all the gaskets were leaking and the sector shaft seal. It was fairly full of oil but it's that dark brown sticky stuff that won't dilute with anything. Managed to clean it up with brake cleaner. I was wondering if I could use 600W oil for model As in those ?

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

John Deere cornhead grease

Tow Truck Tom and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Deere Corn Head Grease. It's a type of "polymetric" grease that is magic, in that the oil in it does not separate from the grease, and leak through marginal seals. Here's some poop from a technical document about this type of grease:

"The microporous polymer acts like a sponge releasing and absorbing the oil. The oil is released from the polymer through capillary action to its surface and is transferred to any surface it contacts to provide the necessary lubrication. As the quantity of oil on the surface decreases, the MPL releases more oil. If excess oil becomes present, it is reabsorbed by the porous polymer.

For example, as the temperature of the MPL-filled bearing increases, more oil is typically released by the MPL, however, this is reabsorbed by the MPL as the bearing temperature decreases. Because of this, MPLs reduce or eliminate the need for relubrication, therefore minimizing or eliminating maintenance and housekeeping."

Corn Head Grease.JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  15. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Is that grease liquidy or is it thick solid like normal grease ? How does it make its way in the sector shaft pin to lubricate the roller ?

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Very thick but liquid state, check it out on YouTube.

Departed and rusty valley like this.
  17. Departed

Departed
    from Canada

Thanks! :)