Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternator install help/tips & suggestions/

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., Mar 10, 2019.

1. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey folks, I finally got rid of the 12V Volt Regulator & Generator..

Now I'm trying to install the 12V volt alternator but not sure how and where the wires that went to the Voltage Regulator are supposed to be rerouted to.
    (Can anyone help?)

Think I already figured out the Generator wiring, cus the A & F are supposed to be marked same way on alternator.

Just got to splice pigtail and plug it in and run hot wire to battery.

Or just forget those and just run the 10 Gauge wire direct to battery as a 1 post alternator and try it that way.

(I think, at least thats what the YouTube videos I saw showed) correct Me if I am wrong though please.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help with this so that I don't fry any wiring and that I can get the battery to charge and hold charge.

Thanks in advance

2. theboss20

theboss20

First question...what exact alternator are you using? You can leave the regulator in place a run a wire from the battery terminal on the alternator to the ‘bat’ terminal on the regulator. If the alternator is a one wire self excited unit then that is all you need to do...if not, we will talk.

3. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I got one at oreilys auto parts.. I'll post the pics I took of it.

I already removed the Voltage Regulator, thinking that it was no longer needed as the alternator has an internal regulator.

Was that was an oops??

Attached Files:

4. squirrel

squirrel

second question...what kind of car is it?

Mister E. likes this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

just guessing but i would say it is a 58 chevy 1 ton. with a 6 cyl. engine.

Mister E. and s55mercury66 like this.
  6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

this may help 10siwiring_zps90b7e165.jpg pictures-wiring-diagram-for-gm-one-wire-alternator-1-at-on-1-wire-alternator-wiring-diagram.jpg

ted kovacs and ramblin dan like this.
  7. theboss20

theboss20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. theboss20

theboss20

The only problem with diagram #1 is the car won’t shut-off with the key unless there is a diode in the #1 terminal white wire...the flow is toward the alternator and blocking towards the ign. Switch.

dan griffin likes this.
  9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i always hooked up a light bulb inline. could use factory idiot light if it has one in dash.

Frankie47 likes this.
  10. theboss20

theboss20

Guess depends on the vehicle...

11. squirrel

squirrel

If it's a 58 chevy truck, it won't have an idiot light. You can substitute a resistor for the idiot light.

Mister E. likes this.
  12. theboss20

theboss20

Diode is easier...my opinion.

Mister E. likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I suppose....or you could use both.... :)

Mister E. likes this.
  14. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey Squirrel, yeah it's My 58 chevy 3800 1 ton.
    How you doin?

15. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

That's correct. 235 straight 6 with foot starter and everything is OEM .. Only thing that I'm opting to change is to upgrade to alternator, rather than the old generator.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  16. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Has mechanical / needle gauge

17. squirrel

squirrel

You can leave the ammeter wiring alone, but beware that the new alternator might let you run a bit more current through the wires and gauge, than it was designed for.

You can use a small light bulb, mounted in line in the wiring near the alternator, instead of the dash light. Or instead of a resistor, or instead of a diode. It's not very picky.

Mister E. likes this.
  18. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I want to use the OEM gauges Squirrel. The gen gauge is a needle gauge, and I trust it more than any light bulb.
    I will buy a set of diodes and do it that way so as to keep that gauge working. if need be I can return this lternator and ask about a less amp one so as not to mess that gauge up or anything.

Also, the wires from the old voltage regulator... what do I do with them?
    There is a blue wire, brown wire, and red wires as well as a yellow wire.. the red is battery I assume, blue and brown went directly to generator, yellow I am not sure what went to. I'll have to trace it out.. But the red, blue, and brown wires I know for sure went to the volt regulator and generator... So what is done with them now that the gen and volt regulator have been eliminated?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  19. squirrel

squirrel

The blue and brown wires only connected the generator to the regulator. you can remove them completely.

The red wire is what connects to the big screw terminal on the back of the alternator.

I don't know what the yellow wire is...what is the other end connected to? and which terminal is it connected to on the regulator?

20. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

yellow was connected on same post as red wire on voltage regulator.
    not sure where it connected elsewhere will have to trace it when I get home.
    is there a wire to connect the dash gauge to the alternator? Or does it connect somewhere already?

Thanks

21. squirrel

squirrel

The ammeter is already in the wiring, at the other end of the Red wire.

22. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ah, gotcha. Ok great thank you

23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You had a new generator! Analog electrons are mo' better. (Just givin' you the biz, at your abject failure to follow instruction ha ha)

24. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I HAD a new, " FAULTY " generator!
    Followed instructions to the letter!
    Not human error, faulty equipment, so opting for upgrade to end the b.s. frustrations!

jetnow1 and Truck64 like this.
  25. theboss20

theboss20

Other than it didn’t work...how did you determine it was faulty? Did you try to polarize the unit...if so which method did you use? We talked about grounds with a heavy black paint job...just wondering.

26. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I followed the instructions that came with it and then when it still gave issues took it back to O'Reilly's and had them test it.
    The manager there has a 56 chevy/ gmc that he also uses generator and knows about testing and polarizing and such.

He swapped it out for Me with a new alternator and said it's the best upgrade I could do since I am having trouble with the generator.

Actually had $$ come back to Me since the alternator was almost half the cost of generator.

He said that the generator wasn't sending a good signal, (guessing the posts) He said wasn't responding to something it was supposed to do, and that it was a defective unit.

Believe Me, if I could have got the thing to work right, I'd be happy!

Hope your weekend is going well.
    Thanks for all your help & advice, It's good to have a supportive community forum to reach out to.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    jetnow1 likes this.
  27. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey folks..
    I am still trying to get this alternator setup working. I removed the old bracket, now waiting for the new one to get here and bolt the dang thing up.

Other than that, heres another question..

What gauge wire do I need to run from the battery to the alternator? I assume it needs to be a heavy gauge as to not burn up, though I'm not sure.

On another note...
    (I found a couple tires locally for the front of My truck so now am just looking for 2 more to put on the rear.
    Will keep y'all posted on how that goes.)

Hope everyone is doing well and having a blessed day!

28. theboss20

theboss20

10ga is the easiest choice because eyelets and 8ga is harder to find...so 10ga.

Mister E. likes this.
  29. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Awesome! Thanks

30. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok, so I got the brackets fabricated and installed tge alternator. Still not getting juice to the battery. I tried tge 1 wire setup, and flopped.. No good. Now Im trying to figure out what wire goes to the battery (to or from tge alternator) and what wires go to the 2 post plug on tge alternator (internally regulated).
    I have 3 wires.. 1 plug, 1 bolt (on back of alternator with RED seal of some type arouns the base of the post .

The 2 prong plug has a white & a red wire leads.

I know 1 wire should go to positive terminal on battery, but which one?

Next is the 2 wires to the plug??
    The Red wires that went to the voltage regulator. Meat up into 1 clip that bolted to the top post on old volt regulator.

1 part of that red wire goes to the dash gauge, the other part to the horn relay.

Can someone help Me clean up this mess?
    Thank you in advance.