Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I chopped it!!! Model A coupe, 5 inches off the top!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jipp

jipp

i think its great you are saving a original deuce grill.. sure you can buy a repo but they seem to be pretty spendy too once you get a grill insert etc.. but hell if you can refurbish a old one.. why not, its carbon footprints been paid for long ago. also, i like the idea of the rpu's.. they are cool little coup/truck or whatever they are suppose to be labeled as. keep up the great work.
    chris.

2. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thank you! I hope you meet your goal. I would love to make it to LSRU one of these years.

Mickey, I see what you mean in that pic! After sliding the roof around it just kinda "fit." I did need to pie cut the lower pillars (see the first pic in post #96) The structural part of the A pillar is lined up, but the skin still needs to be cut and fitted. I will probably use material from my cutout sections to do this easier, depending how big my cuts and gaps are. MIG welding and big sheetmetal gaps don't get along well!! I still need to do the window openings and door tops, but haven't had much time recently. I hope soon I will have more updates. (For now I've just been driving around town with no glass...!)

Thank you, I appreciate it! The stance will be altered a bit. 117harv hooked me up with a Model T rear spring for the rear and I plan on reversing the eyes on the front spring. It should bring it down about 1 1/2" or so. I think the 19" wheels "make" the car and fit it perfectly!

Thanks Chris, gosh sometimes I don't know why I do these things to myself!! I have almost all of a good insert put together now. I bought a shell that I thought just needed some repair but it turned out to be chopped (I bought it sight unseen) so now it won't fit. But I had to use some of my "precious" 32 insert stash to repair it so I can sell..... Ugh, it's never ending. I do have fun with it though, every bar straightened is a feather in the hat!

Thanks so much to all of you, I really appreciate the comments. :D

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

keep goin man, it's looking great! if i were closer i'd be there lending a hand.

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thanks man, I wish you were closer. I could sure use the help!

I haven't gotten much done recently because of my back still hurting. Surgery was a little less than 3 months ago, but it's still giving me problems. I do a little bit in the garage, but it's hard to stop myself once I get on a roll then I end up sore for the next week. Also, a ton of things around the house (yardwork etc..) fell behind while I was recovering, so now I'm playing catch up to all that mess too.

5. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

the chop looks killer! And thanks for doing what you do in the Navy!

6. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thank you for your appreciation! I have been off work since my surgery and have to go back in a few weeks and really not looking forward to it!! Looks like I'll be getting medically discharged, which sucks since I'm halfway to retirement. Just when you think you have a plan life throws you a curveball!!

7. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

Oh I think we all know that feeling! Well get better, cause i wanna see this thing tearing up the streets, looking down right mean!!!! (Even though I live on the opposite coast)

8. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Thank you. I'm originally from Pennsylvania so a "right coast romp" may be in the future!

CA isn't the best place, but it sure is nice to have clean sheetmetal on my vehicles!

9. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i feel ya buddy, my back is all messed up too.... i know how it is to be sore-but it's worth it! just keep plugging along, you'll get there.

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

I just bought a T spring from Harvey as well. I haven't got it yet, have you put it in? I was hoping for a couple inches and maybe more with a couple leaves out.

My coupe was like yours, all stock, banger but hyd brakes. The interior is now stripped for a 4 inch chop.

12. navypainter

navypainter

Car looks bad ass. Can't wait to see it on the street either.

13. Lono

Lono

Looks cats ass!
    I left my roof open with just bows so I could see stoplights.. it was just 4.5 inches.

cool stuff!

14. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

15. ROAD AGENT

ROAD AGENT

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

any updates on your ride zombie?

17. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

18. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Shooter, sadly I had to sell the coupe. It is in the UK now with a VERY enthusiastic new owner. I figured I would leave this thread open for others as reference.

With my back being messed up I may be medically discharged from the Navy and I needed some instant cash to pay down bills and be better prepared should I love my income. It was a terrible feeling selling my favorite car, but when all is said and done, I know my family will be taken care of, and that's what it's about. Henry made enough Model A's for me to get another later on when things are looking up. :)

19. goldrat

goldrat

awsome job guys dont stop now

20. 31hillard

31hillard

yerp i've bought it and it's now residing on the east coast of england which has a little bit different climate to what the poor old girl was used to in california.

i will start a build thread once i get my teeth sunk into it but at the moment i'm just trying to get it mot'd and registered in the uk,but the chop has now been finished other than it needing a little bit of filler.

cheers Dale

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Bummer you had to sell it zombie, but I know how it goes. Good on you for putting your priorities first. And congrats to you dale, you got a sweet ride. Keep us updated.

22. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

That's great you got the chop finished up! The sale was a quick decision and unfortunately came before I had the time to do much more to the top. Can't wait to see the build thread and what you have in store for the old girl :D

Thanks buddy, sometimes the hardest decisions are the best ones to make. The car couldn't have gone to a better guy, it really eased my pain seeing it go to someone with so much heart and passion. Really a win-win all around.

23. m.ralph

m.ralph

Hi I've enjoyed your site. I am going to chop my 30 Ford coupe shortly. I had planned on a 5 inch chop also. I can't believe so many people are talking about not being able to see the traffic lights when you have a chopped car. I've owned about 15 chopped 32 Fords, and used traffic light viewers. Its a viewer that has been around from back in the thirties. They work nicely. Thanks for sharing your good work. m.ralph

Dannerr likes this.
  24. Hi M.Ralph.

Can you share a picture of the viewer in action at a traffic light? Always wondered, if they really work.

Kind regards, Dannerr

Keep ‘em kruzin!

Dannerr

25. They work! My coupe. SC19.jpg

Dannerr likes this.
  26. Adam simmons

Adam simmons

Totally badass , I'm in the process of building a 30 model a coupe , I have a 30 roadster and a 27 roadster ,but I have always wanted a 5 window since I was a kid , I have been contemplating a 4 , 5 or 6 inch chop ,I'm only 5 ft 4 so that's not a issue lol ,but you got me totally convinced on the 5 inch ,if your goin to go thru all the work to do one ,I say go in hard lol like you did , awesome chop , also have a 49 dodge with a 5 inch chop , that is about 80 percent done ,the roof is all done just some chassis and body work ,
    Looks badass love it

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

I doubt he will reply. He chopped it in 2011 and hasn’t logged back in since 2013, so……..