Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6v to 12 v conversion starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sacredsteel1, Mar 10, 2019.

1. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

Hey guys,
    I'm about to convert my 50 chevy p/u to 12 volt.
    its got a stock 235 out of a 54 car. Still the original pedal actuated starter. My main question is, will the stock starter be ok with 12v? i did a 12v conversion many years ago on a 49 sedan i had.... the car ended up with a 235, but i think i did the conversion when it still had the 216 ( can't remember for sure). Pretty sure everything will be ok, but wanted to double check.
    Also, any recommendations for the brackets and other things I will need. I already got a wire kit from American Autowire and was thinking of calling Patricks for anything else, but saw some negative reviews about them recently.
    Thanks!!

2. Starter should be fine.6v are beefer inside. Years ago a buddy had a flattie with a 12 battery,with a switch on top.It allowed the starter to crank on 12,and still run the car on 6v.

sacredsteel1 likes this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Dont call Patrick's. I think he is out of business but whatever you do, dont call them. They will take your money and never deliver the parts. Do a search on here and you will see what I mean.

Your 6 volt starter will turn the engine over fine on 12 volts. It shouldn't be a problem at all. Just make sure other components are suited for 12 volts.

egads and sacredsteel1 like this.
  4. F&J

F&J

Just a day or so ago on here, one hamber did travel to their former business building in person, and here is a quote from that very recent thread below:

5. junkman8888

junkman8888

The changeover from six to twelve volts was around 1955, the Chevy 235 was used up to 1963 so there are twelve volt starters and generators available.

sacredsteel1 likes this.
  6. Been using 6volt Chevy starters on 12 volt systems for many years, still going strong. Just don't stand on it too long, or you will let the smoke out!

egads, sacredsteel1 and Crazy Steve like this.