Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Mar 9, 2019.

1. VonWegener

VonWegener

Looks like a perfect event.

LBCD likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-10_4-32-10.png Just like the good old days...
    Hey LBCD,
    Santa Barbara is our second favorite place to visit and stay for vacations. We have been coming to the area since 1960 with our surf trips and visits to our friends (and son) going to UCSB, at the other end of the city. It helps that we have relatives (brother’s family) and friends living in Goleta, Carpenteria, and Summerland. It is also a great place to stop, for a rest, coming from The OC and SF Bay Area on those long coastal drives.

We have been on Cabrillo Blvd countless times. We stayed next door to the Hilton back when the Hilton was (THE) Fess Parker’s Resort Hotel. At both ends of the road, are our two favorite restaurants, East Beach Grill on the sand at the Cabrillo Pavilion and the Breakwater Restaurant near the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum at the far reaches of the harbor. (East Cabrillo turns into West Cabrillo, then Shoreline Drive near the SB Harbor.) Great meals anytime of the day.

Wow, your photo coverage of the TROG Drags is/was outstanding. Someone should hire you for your photo coverage. Just the right composition angles of the customs and drag racers were in your photos. The action shots should move you into the PRO category. But, enough of the well deserved coverage. It looked like there were plenty of things to do and see for two days of sunshine/weather.

It must have been like being at the drags in the 1950s and early 1960s with those cool hot rods and drag racers. Pop off the flipper hubcaps, pop on the slicks and unbolt those cool cut outs…then, go racing. (that black 32 3-window was my favorite.) The customs added a touch of classy styling to the whole event.

Jnaki

Again, great coverage, as it was impressive to say the least. Any sound films from the event?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  3. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks...I appreciate that Jnaki! We love the central coast too!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jnaki likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Photos are great, the coverage here and on Instagram make it look amazing. Hopefully this paired with @Ryan keeping the hamb drags going will result in more people flocking to Joplin. If you want a time warp experience at the races you can’t beat the hamb drags.

Stogy and LBCD like this.
  5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the Coverage!!!

LBCD likes this.
  6. LBCD

LBCD

Heading home to Long Beach and stopped for food....hope to see TROG come back to CA! Took some pics of a few cars in the lot.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Allisons, mgtstumpy, enloe and 8 others like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good god man... It's so pretty.

Elrod, enloe, mctim64 and 4 others like this.
  8. Very nice pictures of a very good time.

LBCD likes this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pics . And it looks like it was not too crowded either.
    Did not expect to see so many serious OHV cars with slicks. Was the blown Willy’s coupe racing?
    Anyone got any videos of the day they care to share?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    LBCD likes this.
  10. Dose anyone have video of the Wayne? That must have sounded truly awesome!
    upload_2019-3-10_17-20-4.png

Stogy, gsnort, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Great pictures Damien, it was so nice running into you and the family there. I got a ton of photos myself to post up.

LBCD likes this.
  12. :cool: Thanks for posting!

LBCD likes this.
  13. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Thanks for your pictures LBCD. Looked like a great event.

LBCD likes this.
  14. Swede64

Swede64

Stumbled upon this one

Stogy, ROCKER77, Woogeroo and 17 others like this.
  15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Swede64 cool link , very enjoyable, I had two cups of coffee to watch it twice. Obviously the rules are somewhat relaxed now and not all pre 1936 for this event as is the norm for Oilers events.
    Beautiful setting though on the street at the beach , did not realise it had a slight curve between the palms, love it.

LBCD and Swede64 like this.
  16. Thanks to Mel and all the Oilers that put on this great event! Thanks to Harley Davidson also as they did a lot to help make this happen too. Weather was beautiful (I got a bit of a sun burn.) We all had a blast!
    53910567_556500271527980_3590514645670035456_n.jpg 53454893_403309033831172_263042415890268160_n.jpg

Stogy, Pat, Elrod and 7 others like this.
  17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

East Coast guy stages Massive Coolness near the birth of Cool. Y'all got it made :cool:

18. AWESOME coverage!!!

mctim64 and LBCD like this.
  19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting the pics. What a kool location...

LBCD likes this.
  20. Thanks for the photos and videos. It was the next best thing to being there.

Phil

Swede64 and LBCD like this.
  21. LBCD

LBCD

I was telling my wife I could do this every Saturday!
    Im happy to share the pics with you guys and thanks for the videos too! It was an amazing weekend, a 2 hour drive up the coast.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My favorite shot from the weekend[​IMG]

Stogy, gsnort, Pat and 10 others like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cool video! Loved the starts, some guys were obviously more anxious to start them their opponents. The video had some kind of sepia filter or something on it, giving some odd colors, but I guess that adds to the vintage look. Great event! But I missed some of the antique mechanicals that were present at the Pismo event.

Swede64 and straykatkustoms like this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Swede64, LBCD and mctim64 like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks to all for pics & links for videos

LBCD likes this.
  25. LBCD

LBCD

Customs By The Sea did an outstanding job too. The setting was awesome, just wish they could get all the cars inside the Rotunda. [​IMG]
    It was cool meeting Sondre @SuperFleye letting him know the show was great!
    Also talked to Steve @DirtyNapkin about his 40 Buick which is to die for. I’m the guy that was drooling over your Lyon caps, they are beautiful! [​IMG]

26. Jay71

Jay71

Still shocked that S.B. let them run drags down Cabrillo! S.B. people must have been tripping!

Stogy, LBCD, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  27. Special Ed

Special Ed

Thanks for sharing those great photos with us. A buddy of ours ran up there, and had this to say about it. "I made twelve passes plus, won over half, got to smoke my little tires, overheated once ..., cut my hand when I shifted to second and my shift knob came apart, my wife said she hadn't seen me smile this much in a long time." ;)
    I believe that says it all ...

Stogy, ratrodrodder, Elrod and 6 others like this.
  28. LBCD

LBCD

No kidding!!! It was a perfect setting!!!

Not to thread jack this thread but I have thought about this for a while now and would love to see TROG and Customs By The Sea come to Long Beach. Tons of history with historic buildings and a great downtown with great hotels and restaurants.
    A close family friend is Co owner of The Breakers Hotel which would be an amazing setting...just sayin
    I can already see the customs parked out front!
    [​IMG]
    Just imagine Ocean Blvd closed off and racing towards the east end looking at the Villa Riviera Hotel[​IMG]

Stogy, Chucky, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  29. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

This was an epic event. I got to race and put my flathead engine build skills to the test. I was and always will be representing San Diego Ca. (Bean Bandits) Heres my brush painted jalopy catching up, as i gave this banger powered T a car length head start...

Stogy, ratrodrodder, Elrod and 5 others like this.