Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 9, 2019.

1. This ran through my mind yesterday when I was looking for a horn for the old beater, I was visiting Bonarseyard Cycles hoping I could find a old HD horn like I had on my Model A back in the early 70's, I was still heavily with the old panheads & knuckle heads and had a huge inventory of old parts.

When I sold the truck keeping the rare horn never occurred to me but that was more than 40 years ago but I always liked the unique look of the round horn and I found a new horn with the vintage look, it's chrome instead of painted but I can correct that problem.

[​IMG]

Have any of you guys let a part go with a car you wish you would have kept or do you have a certain part that you keep and use on all your cars?

I do have the same louvered key chain that has made the rounds. HRP

Tim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Yep, the early Cal Custom valve covers on the '53 Chevy panel I sold and the early Edelbrock valve covers on the '65 Chevy pickup I sold....now I want a set of either one for my new project. Oh....and the M22 four speed I don't need, but wish I'd kept.:(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Sold a 64 Tbird with the factory am/fm radio that I found in a junkyard and replaced the original am radio. Added no value to the car when I sold it, could use it now.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. banginona40

banginona40

I have one of those Harley horns and I'm still holding on to it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've met too many men in my lifetime that woulda/coulda/shoulda sums up their life, in conversation that phrase comes up often. I'm very thankful that " Figure it out, Make it happen, there are No excuses" was instilled in me very early in my life, this was my thought on your thread title. Myself, I try not to second guess my decisions. To answer your question, Yes I've sold or gave something away that maybe shoulda/coulda kept. But do not have the time or patience any more, I'm trying to reduce inventory, still have too much Stuff.

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

So far I have been lucky I haven't sold any of MY cars!
    Still own the first car I ever bought 1972 Pontiac Formula Firebird new! OT.
    I've had the 1957 Pontiac since 1983, and the newest acquisition 1932 Ford roadster since 2014!
    I tend to hang onto stuff, been married going on 46 years, she is definitely a keeper!
    When I woulda, coulda, or shoulda, I did!
    KK

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

La la la la la la la la la la...
    What?...I can't hear you!
    La la la la la la la la la la...

8. Rick, You and this fellow seems to have a slight family resemblance. :D HRP

monkey-ear.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    RDR, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. 62rebel

62rebel

Not so much any part in particular, but I would like to have the time back that I invested in them and let them go

Chavezk21 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Dual point Delco chevy distributor from 1957, Pontiac Tri Power from 1966, for a start. Those items were both given to me by friends in the late '70's, and I also gave them to some different friends.

Model A Vette and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My list is too long for me to remember, but looking back I made a pretty good profit on most stuff I sold at the time so I guess all is good.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bought a Boyds steering wheel for my 41 Willys pick up for about $500. Always wished I would have removed it before selling the truck. My 63 Impala I sold not too long ago had a vintage NOS Sun Tach that I did remove before selling.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

You sir... Are the man!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I sold a 1959 D100 that had a factory radio in it. I wish that I kept the radio

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and KoolKat-57 like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, but I've forgotten what it was so I guess selling it was the thing to do at the time. With the passing of time everything I've sold in the past 50 years would be worth more money today, but it allowed me to buy what I needed at the time I sold it.

Bob

classiccarjack and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I was one of those guys that pulled the bench seat out of my 57 and replace it with bucket seats from a 64 Chevy. Like my girlfriend at the time said, "that is a big gap there between those seats, I am not seating down there".

17. Which big gap is she talking about ?

18. squirrel

squirrel

Shoulda kept that TH400 Autostick.

Shoulda kept that 64 Pontiac 3.42 posi rear.

Shoulda kept that 59 truck recirculating heater.

The list is surprisingly short.

KoolKat-57 and classiccarjack like this.
  19. I Woulda kept my 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint had I not totaled it.

I Coulda kept my 66 fastback Mustang but I had a daughter in the hospital and I needed the money.

I Shoulda kept my Deuce pickup! :oops: HRP

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  20. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Well, Nick the Bandit, I guess you would asked such a question, when sitting in your blue roadster, thigh to thigh with the person next to you with your knees under your chins. HA HA

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Short list for me just like Jim's.
    One thing I let go and regret was the set of 57 Caddy hubcaps I had for my 51 Merc. I scrounged those caps one at a time finding them individually in wrecking yards and swapmeets and probably had 60 bucks in the set. After I sold the car I stopped by the house of the guy I sold it to to see his progress and the caps were on a 56 Chevy sedan he had sitting out in the driveway. I should never have let them go with the car.
    Sold a 54 Hood that I picked up at an auction for 10 bucks for 60 one day to a local guy who needed it and then remembered that it was the best fitting hood that I had ever had on the place as far as hood gap between the hood and the left fender go. Kinda of kicked my own butt on that one but he does have a 54.

I've sold a few less than interesting parts at swap meets when I didn't think I would ever use them and then a year or so later went out and bought similar parts again because I needed them for a different project.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. 32 Pines Winterfront:(

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Only if it was sold at a loss. I sold my ARDUN V8-60 engine that I later found out was in a Midget Duntov drove. If I had it today to sell at todays priced I'd be able to buy the Coleman Coupe. :(:( Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. I remember Randy Nash ( Deuce Roadster) buying a huge stash of Deuce parts and there was a NOS Pines Winterfront insert in the mid 80's and sold it a short time later, he got $3,500 for it and at that time that was big money and paid for the entire stash of parts. HRP

The37Kid likes this.
  25. I paid $150. sold it for $1,500 a few years later and thought I was hot shit!:cool: Instead of a shit head.:oops:
    Bob, remember the one found by the curb by Westchester Street Rod guy, NOS?

26. Yes....but.....some burnt up in the fire I had about three years ago.....easily replaced - right ?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Shoulda kept my 61 Sunliner.....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. RDR

RDR

The US Royal Masters that my dad had given me for Christmas that went away on my '49 Fleetline with a 303 Olds when I traded it in at the Chevy dealer on the '56 Chevy with recaps....Then to find out a week or two later that the salesman that bought my '49 came by to show me he had taken out the Cad 3 speed and put a hydramatic in it ! ....GGGRRR......Actually have kicked myself for ever letting the car go...That's a lot of kicking since 1962....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes! NOS and in the box!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. I don't want to call you guys a bald faced liars but that sounds like a fairy tale! :pHRP