Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rods In Winter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Mar 8, 2019.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Am I the only one or do most of you guts stranded by this dam weather start and warm up your cars throughout the winter? Snow is deep around here for Nebraska so today I had my monthly startup and bringing the cars to operating temp. Good for the motor and helps keep the battery charged. Also moved them back and forth? I've done this for many years with no problems. DAM SNOW!

chryslerfan55 and 3340 like this.
  2. No snow here in Oklahoma, right now but I try to start and run at least every 2 weeks during the winter.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I've done the same, usually get to drive them. This winter has tested that on several occasions. :)

4. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

over 3 feet of snow were I live in Minnesota expecting anywhere from 6 to 15 inches this weekend.Not really sure why I live here anymore. I do start my stuff from time to time to make sure they still run.Got to make sure they run for the 3 good months we do get.

5. F&J

F&J

Kinda cracks me up when some people here buy (mortgage) a $50k car or $70k truck and drive daily in winter slop, but won't "grab the moment" and drive the vintage car when roads are bare & dry? What's the point of not taking it out? Please tell me.

I can't afford a winter car right now, AND I have no idea how many sunsets are left for me, so I drive mine as a primary car, but I try to not run in salt slush by planning errands ahead. I am heading out right now for errands like a couple of days ago pictured below:
    DSCN2385.JPG DSCN2387.JPG
    DSCN2391.JPG
    ^^I cut your sentence short.... "food for thought". ...perhaps.

6. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

No snow here in the sunny south, but has rained just about every day since november.
    Hard to do anything outside. If that counts.

chryslerfan55, robracer1 and BigO like this.
  7. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

your definitely a role model for the rest of us I do enjoy living in Minnesota just wish it stayed warmer more months out of the year.So much for global warming.

8. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I'd drive it if I could get it out!! LOL IMG_2547[3133].jpg

9. Agreed, rain rain and more rain.

robracer1 likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

My route to the shop looks about like Rick's above. I haven't started my car this winter, let alone driven it any. I know I should be I just haven't.

11. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

12. hotrodder1932

hotrodder1932

Hard to find a parking spot

13. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I never start mine all winter long, just unhook battery and wait for spring. I have never had a problem yet. Maybe I'm just lucky too.

14. primed34

primed34

I try to start mine at least once every two to three weeks. If the weather is decent I'll drive it. If not I will move it back and forth. Either been too cold or mostly rainy to drive lately.

15. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I drove mine last fall just before it snowed, does that count?
    [​IMG]
    Really, it’s not the snow that gets you here, it’s the cold!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

Olrodder (Clark) from NC who passed late 2016

pprather, catdad49 and mcsfabrication like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] I always post this photo when winter & Hot Rods are mentioned. The Don Noyes ARDUN powered 1932 Ford. Bob

Jet96, burl, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

It was 35 degrees here today. I was doing some painting on the 42 Chevy, so started the convertible and backed her out of the garage. Streets are still to bad to drive the convertible though.

19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SNOW TIME ROADSTER.jpg

Jet96, chevyfordman and mgtstumpy like this.
  20. Are you retired? There is no way I would rely on a vintage car for winter transportation. They use heinous chemicals on the roads around here. And there is no way to plan ahead of the salt when you have to follow a work schedule. I wish I could drive a cool car all the time, but it just doesn’t fit my reality, I’d bet most here are in a similar situation.

21. figure8

figure8

I started all 3 of mine today but too much snow and ice to get them out.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. F&J

F&J

No, I don't have a defined schedule, and if I did, I'd have to get another sacrificial winter car like I once had. I did work for Conn DOT as a mechanic years ago, and I sure do know what happened to our "salt shakers". Today, Conn DOT uses no sand, and switched to some very nasty brine stuff....far worse than the plain old road salt. Matter of fact, the truck drivers have to wear full EPA suits when refilling.

I should have written my first post a lot better... What I mean is that if a person can run a very, very expensive new car/truck in the slop all the time, then why can't they wait for a cold "dry-road day" and take the vintage car out for fun, rather than wait till summer? A huge percentage of hambers are deep in their 60s-70s+,and for some reason, they simply don't take a car out on a good dry day. I see this here locally, even in spring/summer/autumn....I am the only one out there in my area, unless there is a show that day? Weird...or what?

scotty t likes this.
  23. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

krylon, I moved from Omaha to Denver in Sept, my 40 is still in Omaha, will pick it up in April...proud to say that the previous year I drove it at least once a month all 12 months...pics of people ice fishing in January, February 70 degree day cruise in at the local watering hole, other pics of Feb driving, last pics are hot rod run from Omaha to Speedway in October, starting temp of 21 degrees January 20a.jpg 70 degrees feb 22.jpg 2017-10-27 20.12.22.jpg 2017-10-27 20.35.19.jpg

Jet96 and mgtstumpy like this.
  24. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My uncle had a classic response when he was asked why he drove his car in the rain when he didn't necessarily need to. He simply said "It rained at least once in 1937".

mcsfabrication, Finn Jensen and F&J like this.
  25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Kentucky has probably had a total of 5 inches of snow this winter and at least 15 inches of KY DOT road salt and an untold amount of liquid brine. I would never consider driving an old car until all the salt residue is washed away by a good rain.

26. I guess I subscribe to the theory that it isn't good for the motor (and exhaust system) for a car to idle once a month during the winter without being driven. The battery can be put on a charger.

The problem is that even on a "dry" day, the salt and brine residue still gets kicked up into places on the body and chassis that you don't want it to sit. There is no such thing as a "good" day during the winter. The roads don't become "good" until a half dozen March/April rain showers have washed away the sand and salt.

A new car is a new car. Often nothing special beyond reliable transportation. An old car? They aren't being made anymore. Why subject it to unnecessary rust inducing chemical compounds?

FWIW, I did drive a '62 Chevy daily in Iowa winters during the mid-2000s. Would I do it again? No. The heater sucked, it didn't like to start on negative degree days, and it got rusty.

Yeah, I'm a pessimist.

27. Some crazies from Europe I found a few years ago on the HAMB.

roadster_weather.jpg roadster_weather4.jpg

charleyw and mgtstumpy like this.
  28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg I would drive it if it ran!

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I think one of the best threads about hot rods in snow,ice, rain, sleate,tornados,ect.ect. Is b-bops thread about getting laid off and going on a hotrods adventure. I don't know how to post the thread but if someone can throw it up here it is a great read!!

30. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do regular battery charges and start-ups as needed. I lived in Denver in the mid '80's and one of my neighbors had a shop with two running hot rods and two projects in various stages of completion. He put the runners up on jack-stands when the first snow fell. He would go out and fire them up weekly and run them through the gears; work the brakes, throttle up and down- basically "drive" them in the air. He said it made more sense to him than just exercising the engine by itself. I used to joke with him about driving through the wall and into my living room if they ever fell off the stands..... yeah, I know, odds were tiny but we got a laugh out of it.