Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who really isn't brand conscious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm pretty brand consious. I won't buy something because of the manufacturer because someone else tells me to.

My loyalty is only to what I believe is good and not what anyone else likes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm an old Ford guy... But if I won the lottery i'd have a little of everything because I'm an old car guy. I've built more Chevys because that's what I have been paid to build or it seems that way.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. mountainman2

mountainman2

I'm not as brand conscious now as I once was. Part of the reason may be that, at my age, a "lifetime warranty" doesn't have near the significance that it once did. :(

4. I’ve been a Chevy guy most of my life, but had many old Ford trucks when I was younger because they were cheap and available. Once I got out of Tech School and got a full time job, I’ve had a bunch of Chevy Pickups. I currently have a Dodge Cummins, but will always have an old Chevy around.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have several of both, but if it comes down to just 1 guitar, for me it's gotta be a Tele.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  6. I love brand used

Nostrebor likes this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I am definitely NOT brand conscious. One reason why I like Chevy engines in old Fords, I don't care 1 bit about having a "Ford in a Ford", I find that ridiculous. But I don't like the Chevy engine because of the brand, I like it because it fits so well, and because it runs so well.

I do like 30's Fords over Chevy's, mainly because I think Fords look better, but also because I don't want to deal with the body wood in a Chevy. I really like 30's Plymouths, and one of these days when the timing is right I'll pick up a 33 coupe.

Later models, I like all brands of cars, sometimes the quirkier the better, i.e. Studebaker. Another some day car for me is a late 50's Silver Hawk.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I don't discriminate as my DD is a Ford SUV; both my hot rods are GM, Oldsmobile and Chevrolet.
    I've been around US iron and hipo cars for years now and I've owned local Ozzie, US and English Fords as well as local GM Holden and an English Bedford. I grew up as a kid in a MOPAR (Valiant) however I've never personally owned one so far. I've even owned a few Japanese cars in between.

I plan on buying a late model diesel US van soon to tour North America, either a GM (Chevy or GMC) or Ford (E-series). Whatever's best, suits my budget and plans. It doesn't bother me at all.

I prefer Wild Turkey over JD or JB, heck I'll drink anything :D Horses for courses so they say or different strokes for different folks.

9. I'm pretty eclectic in my old age but I guess I know what I like when I see it. Back when I got my license to drive I actually considered it a license to personalize and that's what I've always done. The factories never seem to get it right. In my heydays, I mostly bought new, always something with performance. But in the '70s, when American cars got really boring, I bought a furrin', sporty coupe and had some 3/4 size, Fun Lite for a while.
    Dial back the clock another decade, in the '60s, when I was drag racing most weekends, I was big into GM cars....... because I wanted to win. :p I liked that each GM brand had its own engine(s) and I was snobbish toward Fords and Mopars because I thought they cheaped out. I didn't always color between the GM lines, though. I greatly admired and respected the 340 Mopars, and I owned the first Mustang in my little town in 1964.
    I love the open arms attitude of this forum where folks freely mix-n-match across brand lines, sometimes "just because". :)

mgtstumpy likes this.
  10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I guess I fall into the line of certain body styles.... Most of the packard and hudsons though fall to my liking... But 20s to about 48 ford is a pretty decent bet for me, 48-54 chevy car, 55-59 chevy truck, 59-62 chevy cars, dodge trucks from 38-47, and 54-72 dodge trucks. Mercury 49-55, most Cadis, most lincolns up to about 70. And buick up to 62 is almost always a win.Even some Stude's are pretty cool. Pierce Arrows are classy, Duesenbergs are always nice.

My preferred powerplants are mopar, second chevy... I like flathead stuff but the amount of $ to make one run right is just not what I really want to drop my money on. Bangers are cool just have their downfalls also. Chevy 250 is a killer 6 that is a blast to drive. Ford does make some good engines, used to race BBF platform and they cost twice what a BBC costs but have some perks. Guess I love it all and that's my downfall. So I guess I am not too brand specific.

My current fleet as it sits, ot chevy surburban tow pig, wife ot charger, 56 dodge truck, 53 bel air, and extended fleet with my parents, 58 ford fairlane and 56 f100... So they have the ford stable, I got the other 2 big 3 covered...

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like what looks appealing to me. I've owned Chefs, Buicks, Pontiacs and Mopars since I quit sports cars. No Forts yet. There are only a couple of old Ford bodies that would appeal to me because I dare to be different. With the lone exception of my 57 Chevy, I generally choose cars that are not seen often and that attract attention.

You can't beat late 40's Buick for that! My 48 Super convertible draws people like bees on honey and I'm sure my 49 Sedanette will, too.

12. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Been thinking about this since it was brought back to life yesterday. I like old trucks (and cars), so no brand preference there. I do lean toward SBCs, just cuz I like em, I guess. My last couple of OT DDs have been Chevy. They have been good, and I put a lot of commute miles on them. The only brands I can think of that I absolutely stick to are Camel smokes and Justin boots.

Pat

13. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I like everything. Each brand seems to have its own following, some of it borders on religious fanaticism, I almost expect to see some fanatic standing at a podium in long robes, saying," brothers, ye shall not use the, name your car or part, for it is blasphemy and you have brought shame on all your brethren."

A while back there was a whole western business model based on the brand, Ride for the brand

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

AD series Chevy trucks, 60-66 Chevy trucks, pre-55 Chevy cars are my goto old cars. I did a stint with Corvairs too, because I love to suffer! Old stuff has always been more Chevy than Ford.

Our daily appliances have always been Ford products, which have served me quite well. That was more of "who you know" though, as a good friend of mine is a Ford driveability tech... and a really good one too. I figure if I'm going to drive a car with a computer in it, I better know someone that speaks the language.

I have gone through a bunch of 73-79 Ford trucks as well... man I dig those things. Bottom line is I just love automobiles in general. What I have landed on has more to do with timing and familiarity than preference.;)

15. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I am have been loyal to Chevy's with the first generation s.b.c. since my 1st car with a 283, not that I wouldn't have preferred a 409 big block back then but it never was in the budget, All the other brands that I worked on just didn't fall together as easy and they ain't 18436572. :rolleyes: The s.b.c. gets me going as fast as I want to go and the new engines may be faster but I don't like the way they look under the hood of an old car.

16. Nope, just loyal to original parts (or as few repo/aftermarket as possible). BTW, I like overdrive manual transmissions.....especially if it has a cable ;).

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I've had almost every make you might say. Modern drivers are generally GM. Hotrods are whatever at the time.
    Right now all the hotrods are Fords. But you never know what the next one may be. I just like old cars and trucks! It's my Dad's fault....

18. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Growing up I always had Chevies. Mostly Novas, then the 57. Now I am hooked on early Fords. I have Olds, Caddy, and flathead V8s in the garage waiting for whatever comes next. Not brand loyal anymore 20170527_175759.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  19. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

EA3F13CF-D3B6-4242-847A-E262EAD8B4D8.jpeg I like both kinds of music- country AND western. My garage is full of mopar stuff so that’s what I work on but I like anything loud and dangerous from chainsaws to chevys

alanp561 likes this.
  20. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been a GM fan, all the way back to high school but I have never been locked into it. I owned and loved a '73 Dart Sport (Duster body) and a great '64 Ford PU along the way. If the style grabbed me I got it without much thought to the brand. After a 7 year break from old cars I have somehow ended up with a couple of Fords, '66 Mustang coupe and '51 sedan. Love them both, don't ever see getting rid of them.
    Of course, a '41 Chevy crept into the shop awhile back so I'm still getting my GM fix, lol.

Gotta admit, the '51 sedan is a love/hate thing... if I could get my hands around the throats of the Ford engineers, I'd choke them to death screaming "What the Hell were you THINKING?!?!?!?"

21. I like old fords but you are correct about Chevy trucks, they are an easier sell.

I guess when I think about brand consciousness my brain conjures this up, "Gotta be a insert brand here in a insert brand here." I am a little different with bikes, as in I probably would not stuff a Honda in a Harley frame (although I did stuff a Sporster in a Cheney Norton frame once) but when it comes to cars and trucks I am a hot rodder first and that is where it becomes Katy bar the door. I am not so brand conscious as to think that a 427 medium riser is not a good match for a '55 Corvette or that an Olds with a hydro is not a good match for an F-1. That my friends in hot rodding 101. You stuff the most potent mill you can lay your hands on in whatever body that makes you smile when you look at it.

alanp561 and Old wolf like this.