Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Bel Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skot71, Mar 8, 2019.

1. David Chandler

David Chandler

Great looking car! My grandfather had a 61 with a 235 and a three speed manual. He traded it and my uncle ran down and bought it. He drove that thing around the world too. Yours should serve you well.

skot71 likes this.
  2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

great looking 62 . here's a listing for new tank. cheap and decent quality. just bought one for my 64 impala. brakes are cheap insurance. all new shoes wheel cylinders and springs plus 3 rubber lines only cost me $180. still need new lines . master cylinder upgraded to 1967 model for $30. ithttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Tank-for-61-64-Chevy-Bel-Air-Biscayne-Impala-20-Gallon/131132412776?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 has dual pots . one for front and one for back. check rock auto or summitracing. keeping things stock is cheap and easy.

3. skot71

skot71

Thanks for the link!! I had looked on Rockauto.com. Tank was 86 on there. I priced cap, rotor, plug wires, radiator hoses, and a few other things, and it totaled around 40 bucks or so. Cheap insurance for peace of mind.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i am going to try to rebuild all mechanicals on 64 impala for $3000 or less. this includes all brakes ,front suspension ,springs ,shocks. plus cheap paint job and cheap seat covers. replacing motor and transmission with reman units. things i won't do are power steering , disc brakes,a/c. just keep it stock. things get expensive when you modify from stock. then you get frustrated and quit with car not running. k.i.s.s. method keep it simple

indyjps and skot71 like this.
  5. skot71

skot71

I will definitely be keeping this simple. No major modifications.

Just Gary likes this.
  6. Oh man! That car is a definite time machine! I love it. The only thing I'd change [after getting the mechanicals in shape] is possibly a pair of curb feelers on the right side. Oh, and I'd repair the seat fabric but reuse the seat cover and find a matching cover for the back seat. Does the original AM radio work?
    When I was a kid our 55 Olds had the same covers...since the car was new! I ended up with it and the guys rode me unmercifully!! They all referred to it as my "Buick" as a slam.

Just Gary and skot71 like this.
  7. skot71

skot71

Last I knew, the radio worked. It will be left there, but I will put in an AM/FM/CD player under the dash. Got to have my tunes to stay sane.

8. Nice car. Awesome shape. Take people’s advice on how to get it back on the road safely. Any survivor like this will let you know which parts need replacing as it gets driven regularly,. Parts will be cheap and it will be fun to work on it. Don’t worry about values, just have fun. If you hit a spot when you can’t pay your mortgage, if it’s running and driving you can put it on CL for $5k-$10k. I dig the mordoors myself, especially on a 62 Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

skot71 likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Very cool and neat being in the family still. My biggest belly laugh is everyone getting excited over a stock vehicle on a hot rodding sight:D . It is funny as I get older I can appreciate stock vintage tin. One possible suggestion, my neighbor had a '63 Biscayne and he put in a '60'' correct era 45 record player and would play the records at car shows.:cool:

squirrel and skot71 like this.
  10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

What a nice time capsule. I got a smile out of the see through seat covers. My grandparents bought a new Dodge every 3 or 4 years. First thing grandma did was have those seat covers installed. Saved that nice cloth interior for the next owner:)

ffr1222k and skot71 like this.
  11. skot71

skot71

Thanks guys! I don’t have any plans on getting rid of it, my son said he’d shoot me if I did! My 2 boys live 2 blocks apart, and about 5 blocks from my parents. I am 2 miles away. It will be a great family car. I agree, it will tell me what it needs.

Just Gary likes this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

Or naked, that's probably why the rear covers have been removed!:eek:

skot71 likes this.
  13. Latigo

Latigo

Looks like a really nice 62. Your parents gave it to you.
    PRICELESS! Clean it up, make it safe and take the folks for a drive every month. You’re going to own that car for a long time.

clunker, Sky Six and skot71 like this.
  14. skot71

skot71

I found a good pic from 2009. It is basically still in this condition, I hope!!

Dad's Bel Air 2.JPG

15. skot71

skot71

What do you guys think about this wheel? On my local Craigslist. Says it is aluminum center with steel rim. Looks cracked/broken to me. These would fit my Bel Air and are cheap, but the cracks worry me. IMG_3117.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

They don't look good to me, what's up with the waves?

17. skot71

skot71

I sent a message to the seller asking if those are cracks. Looks like 2 have cracked, and opposite those 2 there is another ready to.

18. Deuces

Deuces

That's pretty cool for a 4-door inliner....:cool:

skot71 likes this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would pass on those wheels, what do you want to chance on something that is going to carrie you down the road with your family.

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very very nice, as well as special as it was your Dads...
    Another don't touch it here, other than the safety things mentioned above..
    I might of missed it, but I also would upgrade the master brake cylinder from a one line to a double line....
    Enjoy....and maybe lower it front and back some day.

skot71 likes this.
  21. skot71

skot71

Thanks guys. I agree, I won't take a chance on these wheels, safety wise. 50 bucks for the set that fit my car would be tempting, but I won't chance it. The guy said it was cracks, but wouldn't affect the driveability. I beg to differ! Not on a heavy car like this. I'd rather find a set of aluminum slots anyway. Had those on my first car, an OT '70 Cuda. Always liked those wheels. Again, thanks for all the comments and advice.

Just Gary likes this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I'm sure a deal on the right wheels will show up at the right time.

skot71 likes this.
  23. skot71

skot71

As I look for wheels, what should I look for as far as what would look best? 14" or 15"? I know deep dish wouldn't look good. Thanks in advance.

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would look for a 15 inch wheel, I think you have a better tire selection in the 15s.

skot71 likes this.
  25. skot71

skot71

Found a set of 14" slots and am picking them up tonight. Hopefully they'll clean up nice, then it's attacking the engine and gas tank to get it going. Pic is from the listing

Attached Files:

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  26. Nice '62, I never had one, maybe one day. I know someone sitting on an excellent '63 and they know I want it.

Word of advice with those plastic seat covers, on a hot summer day they will roast your ass off. Use a sunshade if you need to park it out in the open.

loudbang likes this.
  27. skot71

skot71

Thanks!! Oh yes, I know about the seat covers. There's a towel in there somewhere for that reason.

28. 4tford

4tford

I would clean/flush out the cooling system after sitting that long. New fan belts and hoses also.

29. skot71

skot71

4tford, that's in the plan. Thanks for the tip!

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nice. Would make a great Sleeper.

skot71 likes this.