Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Bel Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skot71, Mar 8, 2019.

1. skot71

skot71

First thread for me. This is my first HAMB friendly car. It was my Dad's car (in my mind it still is), but Mom and Dad have given it to me. It will stay in their garage (we live 2 miles apart) until we get it going. Dad has owned it for about 15 years, but it hasn't been driven for 4 or 5 years. I know it will need the gas tank dropped and cleaned (and fix the sending unit so the gas gauge works), probably rebuild the carburetor, and check everything over. My son is getting married in April, so it will be after that before I mess with it. It is an original car and has been repainted before Dad bought it. 76,000 original miles. 235 with Powerglide. Not sure of my plans for it other than get it driving.

I wanted to show it off and see what you all would advise I check on the car since it has been sitting. It always ran/drove good before it was parked. Thanks in advance for any advice!

62 Bel Air in garage.JPG

Odometer.JPG

Dash.JPG

Front Seat.JPG

Back Seat.JPG

Attached Files:

2. williebill

williebill

Looks great. An old G/F had one similar to yours back in the 70s, we drove it everywhere, and couldn't kill it.
    Love the seat covers. After sending in a JC Whitney coupon when I was about 12 YO, I got samples of that plastic stuff several times a year in a business size envelope. Don't think I've ever sat on those kind of covers, can't imagine they're very comfortable !
    Good luck, thanks for posting.

3. skot71

skot71

Thanks! Yeah, you don't drive this car in the summer if you're wearing shorts!

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nice ride, I would look at the price of a new fuel tank before I tried to have one cleaned out.

Unique Rustorations and skot71 like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

looks like fun! as an old original car.

The brakes....I'd suggest replacing all the rubber parts in the brakes. The wheel and master cylinder cups will get tired with age, and usually a bit of corrosion starts when sitting for a while.

Truckdoctor Andy, Old wolf and skot71 like this.
  6. skot71

skot71

Thanks saltflats and squirrel. I'll sure look into those.

7. now that is cool esp with the compass on the dash =)

Just Gary and skot71 like this.
  8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That front seat cover is awesome! Great car. Fix what it needs, maintain it and enjoy!

Just Gary and skot71 like this.
  9. skot71

skot71

jfreakofkorn, the compass HAS to go!! flatheadpete, that's the plan! The seat cover may stay for a while since the seat fabric is ripped/rotten. Maybe change the wheels eventually.

10. squirrel

squirrel

the compass and seat covers are what make the car...but I guess you have to be of a certain age, to appreciate them. And miss your grandparents :)

11. Oilguy

Oilguy

I am glad to see that everyone is suggesting keeping it original. My current 62 required a complete rebuild of the front suspension and steering but it had 125K miles on it at the time and the control arm bushings were singing to me and it had the original ball joints. Don't know that I have seen one that clean in recent years. Nice car!

loveoftiki and skot71 like this.
  12. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the seat covers were from Fingerhut and they would send samples to everyone who bought a new car back in the last century. I recall putting seat covers on new cars was a common practice in the fifties and before. My mother always kept seat covers on her cars and would have them dealer installed on every new car. I never liked the idea and figured I would just reupholster when the original wore out.

Turnipseed and skot71 like this.
  13. skot71

skot71

Well, the compass may stay then. Heehee... I'm 54, and remember my grandparents having them too.

scrappybunch and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  14. Oilguy

Oilguy

I like the compass. I used to have a magnetic base Smokey Bear cigarette snuffer for the dash off a car my dad bought new in 62 but it disappeared; wish I could find it. I even like the hubcaps and the skinny whites. Detail it and drive it.

Truckdoctor Andy and skot71 like this.
  15. A high school buddy drove a white 4 door like yours. It was his mothers. His step dad drove a 64 chevy truck. He never got to drive the truck. He would back the chevy up in reverse flat on the floor. then shift to drive and leave a long black mark. Of course the chevy always had trans problems and other stuff broken. So it was replaced with a 66 with a 327 and glide. And he gave that car the same abuse. and it was always broken down When he graduated school his mom gave his mom gave him the 66 and bought a ford galaxie 500. And he wasn't allowed to drive the ford. And that ford gave good service. His stepdad would remark Chevrolet makes a good Pickup. but we had two chevy cars and both of them where Lemons!

williebill and skot71 like this.
  16. folks with small children wanted those plastic seat covers. and they many times where a necessity. much easier to clean baby poop and puke from plastic covers than cloth upholstery.

williebill and skot71 like this.
  17. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Drain all the fluids and replace with new, Check the hoses, check the brakes and replace if there is any doubt about the serviceability. Wash it and drive it everyplace. The Fingerhut seat covers need to stay. The compass is worth money if you elect to let it go. I would let it stay though.
    ALSO, go in and kiss your Dad and Mom, they seem to be great parents.

williebill, skot71 and squirrel like this.
  18. skot71

skot71

Thanks Sky Six. Yes, they are fantastic. Mom called me and figured I'd be more motivated to get it going than Dad would. He's had some minor health problems, but still good. Dad and I are going to the Indy Speedway museum tomorrow to look at all the dirt cars and Indy cars they have on display (been there many times), so I'm sure there will be discussion of the '62.

I'll follow your advice on the fluids, hoses, brakes, etc.

williebill likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah man, keep the compass, it is the traditional GPS!!

20. skot71

skot71

Traditional GPS. Gonna have to label it as that!

21. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_3494.JPG IMG_3496.JPG
    I had one very similar ran like a dream over 15 years sitting in a garage before I rescued it

22. skot71

skot71

23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I can't be the only one who's stoked it has a CB?? Haha

Nice original sedan. If'n it were me:
    -mild lowering
    -proper rubber
    -mags
    -dress up 6 cyl
    -drive the shit out of it

in that order.

skot71 likes this.
  24. skot71

skot71

Thanks! The CB will stay just because. There is a magnet mount antenna in the trunk. I thought about lowering, but is sits real low as it is. We’ll see.

Anyone have a recommendation on 14” or 15” wheels? Keep it 14”?

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

348-409.com will have a lot of information and help if needed on your car.
    Warning, this group is not for everybody, just saying. ;)

Deuces and skot71 like this.
  26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Supremes always look good, cragars, keystones, fentons...the options nearly endless.

skot71 likes this.
  27. skot71

skot71

I will just see what I can find.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think the average value of this car is?

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Getting hard to find completely ORIGINAL cars from the 70's back through the 50's. Any modification you decide to make in the coming years, save all the original parts; even if you have to rent a storage locker to keep them in. Wish I'd done that! Take MaMa to the drive-in when the weather gets nicer, and leaves the kids with a sitter.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

scott27 and 61Cruiser like this.
  29. skot71

skot71

I’ll keep any parts I change out. This isn’t a high dollar car, I know. The front bumper is bent a little on the right side, and above the taillight on the left fender has some sketchy paint work done. But overall a solid driver.

30. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Send it to me and I'll evaluate it and return it to you.... eventually.;)

scott27 and skot71 like this.