Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help on removing a 57 Chevy ignition without the proper key

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Huelke, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

Hey guys I bought a 57 in a box and have been putting it together slowly. Great story behind this car and its history. California car, crush velour interior, street racer back in the 60's.

OK so after installing new wiring in the whole car I tried to remove the ignition key cylinder with the key that opens the doors and trunk. The key turns to the key on ignition off but does not go any further. Key will not go to the lock position. So now what?

What should I do? Drill out the key slot? don't want to use a slide hammer and destroy the dash

HELP

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hunt down some other Tri-Five owners, and get them to try their key. You'd be surprised how many of these cars can be started with "someone else's" key. Other than that, it's a locksmith, unless you want to buy a new starter switch, tumbler, keys, and go at it with a drill. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

squirrel likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Chevy only had about 27 different keys back then. It should be easy to find one that fits

4. BJR

BJR

When I was in my teens I had 5 keys that would start almost all GM cars of the 50's.

Slopok likes this.

5. Slopok

Slopok

Not only Chevys but any GM of that era will work.

54vicky likes this.
  6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

go get a new key made ,or keep fiddling with the key , ive gotten lucky doing that.

7. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Call your local mobile locksmith. Cheap n EZ.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

I would try the key you have already been using. If it works well enough to turn the ignition switch through the other positions you should be able to get it to work for what you want to do. I would put it in and while applying light pressure to turn in the direction you want I would jiggle the key up and down and even possibly in / out a little bit. It should move to the position you are trying to get to.

9. belair

belair

Any key ( or no key) will operate the ignition from run to off. Only the proper key will turn the ignition to and from lock. I think it has to be in lock in order to get the cylinder out. As stated, old keys are you friend. And I also think/remember that the glove book lock is operated by the ignition key.

egads likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

you have to turn it past "lock" to get the cylinder out (while pressing a piece of stiff wire into the little hole).

As mentioned, trying different keys will often work. Once you get it out, you can find the 4 digit code number, and cut a new key for it

http://selectric.org/manuals/locks/index.html

or buy a new cylinder and keys, which are usually rather inexpensive.

I would rekey the lock cylinder to match the door locks, if it were my car.

alanp561 and egads like this.
  11. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

Oh yeah, That's right! I forgot about that. Even still the OP may have a little good fortune trying to jiggle the key and slide it in/out just to get it to turn that little bit he needs then once he gets the cylinder out he can get a proper key for it.

12. Step away from the slide hammer!
    Pop off the trim piece with the on/off/ lock . it's just clipped on there. Under it is s large nut screwed to the outside of the ignition switch assembly. There's a proper spanner type tool to remove the nut, but care with channel locks will usually get it loose. The assembly can then be dropped below the dash and unplugged from the harness. Don't forget to disconnect your battery 1st!

alanp561, belair and blowby like this.
  13. jeffkau

jeffkau

If you had the right key. Turn the key to the left(counter clockwise). It will stop. Use a bent straight paper clip. Push in the small pin in the hole on the face. While pushing in turn the key to the left one more notch while pulling out the paper clip. The cylinder then will be able to be pulled out.
    Since you don't have the right key. Try what the other guys told you... Use other gm keys with the same keyway Jiggle litely up and down as you are turning counter clockwise. Dont force the key.
    If this doesn't work ask your local locksmith(the older the better) if he has any old GM B10 or B11 keyway (already cut) keys you could borrow.
    There should be a 4 digit code on the cylinder. A locksmith can cut you a key by code for about $8 for the first key second key $2.
    PM me with any other questions. I'm a locksmith(30 years worth).
    Good luck

chevy57dude likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Pull the door lock first. It has numbers as well from factory. If it hasn't been changed? Worth a look.

15. squirrel

squirrel

he said the door key didn't work in the ignition lock....which is pretty common, things get replaced over the decades.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ever brain fart and just go with what's in the mind? I do. ;)

BJR and squirrel like this.
  17. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

My latest project ('59 el camino) didn't have a key. I tried every key I had in the shop. Finally, the last key I had worked. It was an old Kennedy toolbox key.

18. catdad49

catdad49

Dave, have you tried WD-40? Next get a duplicate made of the key you have and make sure it works. Now that you have an extra you could try small mods, first deburring with a wire wheel and then some careful file work to the teeth, you may get lucky! I had a 66 Chevy C-10 that you could start with a key blank, changed that in a hurry. Good Luck, Carp.

19. BJR

BJR

Advice from a brain fart usually stinks.:p

norms30a likes this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

In this case I had limited time. I read and replied to quickly on account of having to return to a family medical issue. @squirrel I wasn't in any form correcting you. Rather many don't know there are numbers on the locks as well for those who have all matching locks and ignition switch but just need a key.

I feel much better now that I let that out
    [​IMG]

21. BJR

BJR

I was just having fun with your "Brain Fart" statement, no malice meant or intended.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So am I, fun that is. :)

BJR likes this.