Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Right Shopper, Wrong Time?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 1, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Right Shopper, Wrong Time?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. dwollam

dwollam

That was unexpected! I enjoyed it very much.

Dave

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Notice "TIME" spelled backward is "EMIT".
    Somehow the two words go together.

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

The Swiss Cheese Pontiac ( and the Nomads if I still had enough money). Id' enjoy it for a little while and then sell it. As much as I love Pontiacs the ROI would supply me with enough cash to buy most any HAMB friendly car I'd want.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and 49ratfink like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I bet the lightweight Pontiac would be the best investment. But I'd have to own the 32 coupe for the fun of it.

49ratfink likes this.
  6. Hard to pick! Probably the 55 post car, followed by the Safari and then the Nomads.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and 49ratfink like this.
  7. Today, if I could reach back and snag one of these time machines it would have to be the '57 Nomad , that car just speaks to me and I ain't even a Chevy guy! HRP

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

46 pickup w/52 flatty ($950) and 155" dragster out of Ohio w/enclosed trailer ($1250). $2300 for something I could use as an everyday driver with the occasional trip to the track to run the dragster and still be able to sell it all at a much later date, say February 2019, for a hell of a lot more than I paid for it, even adjusting for inflation. OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!:D

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the problem with time travel is you would have to go around and gather up a bunch of old money and bring it with you in order to buy anything. then the big question. will your time machine bring a car back with you? you have to think of these things before you go.

10. the time machine would have to allow objects, otherwise you would arrive naked.........although in '73, you would have fit in.......

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I Remeber those adds when they were new and those cars were way more money than I had to spend in those days.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. I don't think I want to do 1973 again. I barely made it through the first time. If so, I'd keep my 57 Bel Air [327/4 speed] I swapped a kid for my old $300 jacked up 68 GTO. 57chevy.jpg

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problem with time travel, I was just talking to Elvis yesterday. As far as old money goes, some of the guys on here still have the first dollar they ever made, borrow some from them.;)

49ratfink, Ron Funkhouser and Hnstray like this.
  14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Noticed that 57 was listed by none other than Bob Wingate. A well known LA area Chevy dealer rep of the 60's factory muscle cars/FSO Corvettes. He went on to having his own lot specializing in hi-po cars and 55-57 Chevy's. I seem to recall his place was in Westminster?

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-4_3-21-25.png

Hello,

Nice choices on a possible purchase during this 1973 time period. The prices were still easy for most people. The costs were relatively affordable. Besides, for us, (only 10 years after high school,) being twenty somethings, not much affecting us other than another gas crisis. We had just purchased our 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and were driving the snot out of it. It was daily driver, short trips for shopping, and visiting friends/family.

Everyone in the family was not hot rod oriented, but liked our photography stuff. When we pulled up to a family event, it was “what” is that? We lived through that strange time period, though. At the this time after owning the sedan delivery for 2 years, there were problems that popped up that prevented my wife from driving it around, namely the right rear blind spot. So, yes, we were in the market for a station wagon. Woodies were out, being not reliable enough for us and constant upkeep.

Remembering back to the 58-65 era, there was a guy my brother knew named Bob Wingate. The name and Chevy always went into the same story.

“The James Garner Corvettes were ordered by Clippinger's onsite Corvette specialty salesman Bob Wingate through Fred Gledhill Chevrolet, Harbor City, California.”

“Bob Wingate was involved in getting the L-88s because of his reputation as 'Mr. Corvette'. Bob started at Clippinger in 1955 in prep and soon moved into sales where his special niche was Corvettes. His title as 'Mr. Corvette' reflected his record for most Corvettes sold by one person. In 1967 he sold 160+ Corvettes and was awarded a special 1967 'F & SO' Corvette in appreciation. These 'Fleet and Special Order' cars were usually custom built cars designed as rewards for top performing executives.”

“The Pearl Green 427/435 HP Vette had six tail lights, fender flares to house American Racing mags and custom interior. Wingate had the car painted with Clippinger Chevrolet promo lettering soon after delivery and entered in many races over the years. The car changed hands and was found in rough shape and restored many years later.”

Jnaki

So, if the 1957 Nomad were owned by the Bob Wingate from the Corvette History in the LA Basin, it probably ran as well and it was finished nicely. Besides, it was a local So Cal car that would have fit our needs perfectly. The only problem would have been (for this pristine Nomad,) the cost was probably sky high.

We eventually sold our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in 74-75 and ended up with a nice sports car for my wife and an El Camino. It was the times, as life was fun and exciting… young age, peak physical status, knowledge and carefree living. (but, that dumb gas crisis)

Rolleiflex and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. I would buy the Nomad for sure! But if your time machine had landed at my house in 1973. You would have found a 38 Chevy coupe, that I bought for $650. It was in excellent original condition. I added a SBC, auto, 57 rear, Cragers on M/T tires, and still had less then $12oo. in it. That's my wife on our way to her prom.;) lol Ron..... 440.jpg 150.jpg

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice cars, pretty lady

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

treb11 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. 2935ford

2935ford

It's kinda like the one I built those many years ago.
    57 Nomad.jpg

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

21. Larry, what does a Canuck know about the English language, probably more than me!

I could be loosing my grip while losing my mind! :D HRP

Blue One likes this.
  22. $3800 in 1973 would be a bit more than $21,500 today*. Still a pretty darn good deal for that blown '57 Chevy.

* (non-scientific, I just used a search engine and looked at the first site I found)

23. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

for me even if I could go back in time to buy one of the cars I couldn't because I would still be broke. Although if the guy with the nomad would loan me the car for 46 years then I could go back again I'd probabl buy the a and then pay the guy that had borrowed me the nomad.

24. all you would have to do is bet on Secretariat to win the "triple crown", the Canadians to win the Stanley cup, the Oakland A's to win the World Series and/or the Miami Dolphins to go unbeaten................bet heavy..........

bryanyeskie likes this.
  25. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Not sure what my pic would be but most likely the five window but this car belongs to Joe Pace Now Who has built several Movie cars. the other pic is what it looks like today.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd likes this.