Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's an interesting thread to date and we've been pretty good Hamber's...:D...not perfect but pretty good...;)...great job Riff.

RiffRaffRoadster and brEad like this.
  2. Ever wish you could un say something?

RiffRaffRoadster, jimgoetz and Stogy like this.
  3. patsurf

patsurf

every day....

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So with a road draft tube what is the standard protocol for running one...just install and run as original?

Riff is tearing down but replacing things as needed but that is definately a thing that is a part of that engine...

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RiffRaffRoadster have you seen any of the builders projects that he has completed?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. There are threads here on replacing the road draft tube with the more environmentally friendly pcv valve.

Phil

RiffRaffRoadster, big duece and Stogy like this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

We go from chassis talk and switch over to road draft tube? Information overload for poor Riff. Anyhow, the article on the Shorter car mentions dropped axle. I've seen the car pictured in a later rod run article in Canadian Hot Rods magazine but haven't been able to locate it. Still a great looking car.

RiffRaffRoadster and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life's like that in the world of Hotrod...sometimes directional deflections if relevant overshadow negatives. Assisting building, learning, overseeing, communicating you are correct is complex and a huge undertaking but negativity overshadows all. My intention was not to overload but to continue with topics that he will encounter...sooner or later...and engage not divide.

@goldmountain thanks for looking into that article. I have posted a link to the Shorter Roadster earlier which may be related to the one your referring to. It's nice but the earlier vintage flare has been partially taken away...not unusual for survivors.

RDR and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  9. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I have. He's legit.

dwollam, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

hailey -I'm new to the HAMB. What is the prescribed thread length, and who polices it?

11. TheBougiePunk

TheBougiePunk

This guy is kicking ass. He’s doing more in a few weeks then the previous shop did in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LBCD, slv63, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. There's no length requirement's or limits. Keep doing your thing.

slv63, jimgoetz, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I also missed the transition from chassis design to road draft tube conversions! Maybe Stogy was commenting on another post and posted here by mistake?

Full disclosure - I'm such an FNG that I had to research what the hell a road draft tube was...

Now that we're on that subject, were valve-cover mounted breathers a thing for my mid-sixties hot rod?

dwollam and Stogy like this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Could be. Road draft tube ventilation is pretty poor, leads to buildup of moisture and sludge in the engine. A pcv valve will provide much better ventilation, and though the main purpose is to reduce carbon emissions into the atmosphere a side benefit is much better oil life in the engine. By the mid 60's it was mandated on every new car, early 60's for California cars.

There are maybe a hundred threads on pcv installation here on the HAMB, so plenty of reading material for you, no need to clutter things up too much here. The earliest pcv installation on small block Chevy's they removed the road draft tube and installed a pcv valve in place of it, and then the breather on the intake manifold provided the other end of the system. But that only ventilates the lifter valley of the engine. Far better is the pcv in one valve cover and the breather on the other. That draws air in one cover, through the crankcase and out the opposite valve cover, and ventilates the whole block. That's the right way to do it. But that requires valve covers that have the holes for the pcv & breather in them, most guys don't want to cut up or drill holes into vintage valve covers that don't have any holes, so they go with the oil fill tube breather.

But you've no doubt seen the breathers from Moon Eyes and others that mount to valve covers, no real need to add them unless you did not have the oil fill tube breather in the intake manifold.

I can't find pictures of your engine, post some up so we can see what you got.

15. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Blues - the original intake manifold had a breather (I may re-use this). I'll post a picture. Thanks.

dwollam, jimgoetz and loudbang like this.
  16. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Well some 283 and 327 had a screw in PCV valve you can drive a freeze plug in the draft tube tap the intake manifold for it install breathers and vent to the air cleaner or just leave it alone on a funny note I work for the gentlemen that sold his Patten for exhaust recirculation to Ford his famous saying is dilution is not the solution to pollution ! Jerry is 80 and I built him a hot rod Model A the blue 31 in some of the pictures I posted There are some of us that just want to help a fellow car nut As a group most us enjoy helping someone learn and enjoy our hobby or as I call it our lifestyle

17. primed34

primed34

If your intake has an oil fill tube, use the mid 60's tube with the pcv in it. Run a hose from the draft tube to your breather just like the factory.

loudbang and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  18. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

[​IMG]

This is the intake that was originally installed on the 1957 283 SBC

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So air movement through that engine was between the draft tube and the oil fill tube breather. When there was a vacuum at the draft tube (when the car was rolling down the road, air was drawn into the breather and exhausted out the draft tube. When the car stopped crankcase pressure would vent out through the oil fill tube breather.

Now the intake you have on it doesn't have an oil fill tube, and the valve covers are solid I believe, so there is no way for the block to ventilate. Yeah, you need to do something different.

Some of my favorite valve covers, which would be period correct for this ride, are the old finned aluminum Cal Custom covers like these:
    [​IMG]
    Everyone has their favorites, most common are the finned Corvette valve covers. But IMO that's kind of a cookie cutter option, and you still have the problem of no crankcase ventilation. I dig the Cal Custom covers, but I'm kind of quirky. With some finned covers like these they have the provision for a breather/pcv valve. So that's an option. You could block off the draft tube and install a pcv valve in one and a breather in the other.

Or, you could install the pcv valve in the draft tube hole (there are kits to do this) and put breathers on both valve covers.

Then you could retain the new manifold you have on it now, if you wanted to do that. Though it seems like this project is screaming for a different era correct intake, isn't it. Well, that's up to you.

RiffRaffRoadster, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was this only a Vette option at the time or all models of V8 Chevrolet?

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Corvette only, if I remember right. Still can use ventless valve covers, and pcv to carb base. Breather at road draft tube. Engine front.JPG

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Or road draft tube/pcv to carb, and vent your oil fill tube. 100_3534.jpg

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

IF you were to use the pcv fitting in the oil fill tube on the intake, and use the road draft port as fresh air into the engine, for sure don't just use the road draft tube. You will pull all kinds of dirt and crap from the roadways into your engine. Then, go down a gravel, dusty road would be bad news. If you already have a breather on your oil fill, just do like the 2nd pic and route road draft to carb base. Those parts are easy to find.

24. greaser

greaser

This is the way I vented my flathead, and will be venting my 283. Usually the aftermarket oil fill tube has filter screen in the push-on cap.

25. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

when-someone-on-the-internet-says-they-reported-me-this-25984077.png

26. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

27. primed34

primed34

I tried using a vented oil fill tube with the pcv in the hose between the draft tube and carb and got negative intake vacuum.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Negative intake vacuum? You mean there was positive pressure in the intake manifold? And you measured this with a gauge? Pcv valves should close and prevent crankcase pressure from entering the intake.

29. RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  30. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I’m leaning towards the valve cover breathers - seems like the simplest and most effective approach.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.