Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Her is a turn key for sale with some history. I am sure someone has info on this. Some good info on the description.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. loudbang

loudbang

For sure a winning car back in it's day. Been posted in here many times when it had yellow paint, and in the defunct Sedan delivery thread.

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

It's at $12700 reserve not met. Better make a bid ,hell I will throw $5000 in for 25% ownership.lol I haven't seen a drag car make reserve yet. But this looks like it's well done. Good info in description of some things they used back in the day. And I got a good pic of where the headers go through inner fenders. I think there is like 20 pics on the listing. Some of them now and some old.

31hotrodguy, enloe and loudbang like this.
  5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^Course it says the car is not the original Hydrophobia car, but a tribute car; it was however a Junior Stock class car at one time, but has no history to go with the car. AND, finally; I'd posted a thread asking for information about an afteremarket bellhousing used to convert an aluminum Powerglide to side mounting; Marv Ripes and A-1 Automatic Transmissions. Now to find one!^^^ I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

old chevy luver and loudbang like this.
  6. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

From George....After the accident the car went into the body shop and they only had time replace the fender and hood and I had to take it to a points meet. I needed the points. Then took it back to be fitted and primered and took it out once again to go to Bristol Springnats. Then took it back and had the marina blue paint job done. All this using a tow bar.
    dennis doubleday photo.jpg

7. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

First time i have seen that pic. Most after repair pics it was spray bombed

8. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I did’nt know that car was up for sale again.

I asked Marv about a bellhousing like that as well. He said there might have been some left when he sold the business and told me to give them a call. I have called several times and sent Emails asking about them but never got an answer. Have heard on an other board the same story of unreturned calls.

9. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Well thats a good lesson for us all ,read ALL of the info! lol. It said had some dash insert from 70s back when it was a jr stocker. You know what happens when u jump to conclusions. I just think it's cool . I read the parts it had, and l immediately started looking to see if any are still available, So didn't finish reading. My bad..I am just trying to build a tribute car. So It's still cool to me. R u looking for that specific bell housing to have from in the day, or just away to use the factory mid mounts. The later wouldn't be hard.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  10. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

loudbang likes this.
  11. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that the biggest problem that NHRA has always had regarding the rules (and this applies to all of the classes, not just the stock classes) is that they did not know what they actually wanted. They could have kept is simple in the stock classes, by stating under "EXHAUST SYSTEM - Tubular exhaust headers are permitted, provided that they attach or bolt directly to the cylinder head with no adapters of any kind. Maximum of two (2) open exhaust outlets permitted, with the opening limited to a maximum diameter of 3 1/2 inches per opening. Replacement muffler(s) permitted, the same quantity as was delivered by the factory for that vehicle/engine combination, provided that the body of the replacement mufflers are at least 18 inchels in length. The rest of the OEM production exhaust system must remain as delivered by the factory for that vehicle/engine combination, including the tail pipes."

Ya know, simple english. Here's what you can change and here's what you can't change.

loudbang and old chevy luver like this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Tim, When the business first moved to Vancouver, Wa, after Marv Ripes sold it, they were in a really small, beat up, metal clad, building (I imagine everything was CRAMMED into it, and probably hard to find; maybe that's why they did't find them for you). They have since moved into a much LARGER and NICER building (sixteen skylights on the roof to give you an idea!), and have purchased a LOT of new equipment and machinery. The fully machined aluminum torque converters they're making look like jewelry. Anyway, after I read the Hydrophobia ad this Monday morning, I got online, and then gave A-1 a call. Talked to the receptionist, who transferred me to Alan/Allen, and asked him about those bellhousings. He did't know if they still had any, but he took my phone number, said he'd go look, and call me back in a FEW minutes. After an HOUR long wait, he finally called back; he found the ONLY TWO LEFT, and wanted to know if I wanted ONE. NO , I want BOTH of them; they're on the way as of this Monday afternoon. Now, if you'll go to their Facebook page, scroll down to a photo of a Powerglide standing on it's tail as a display at a trade show (with a heavy looking guy in the background), you'll see ANOTHER, only polished bellhousing WITH the side mounts. So, they do have ONE more left, IF they'll even part with their display, especially since I'm sure they had to pay someone to polish it. I thought I was done building Powerglides; looks like that is't the case! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.
    Old Chevy Luver, Back in the Junior Stock era, an aluminum Powerglide could't be used in a Tri-Five due to the rules; I imagine they made the aftermarket bellhousing for use in Super Stock originally. That's just a guess on my part however. I've been kicking around the idea of turning my 56 Sedan Delivery into a Bracket Car, but those bellhousings would probably be legal now since NHRA has again allowed some of the older cars back into Stock. They (NHRA) are also allowing the Tri-Five cars to use 3 speed automatics in Stock; who knows why. I could see a 3 speed automatic in a 57, due to the optional Turboglide offered that year. Basically, the Turboglide torque converter made it a "3 speed", even though there was no actual "shift" that occurred with them. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

1970 was the last year that NHRA required exhaust systems in Stock. In 1971 they were optional or not required, it was your choice.

14. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

A small 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole in the collector allowed enough exhaust to escape out the tail pipes at idle with the collector capped. That's all that was required to pass tech. I never read or was told buy NHRA anything about 10% through the tail pipes. Don't know how you would measure that anyway. As far as the collector pointing at the track I think that was overlooked as lots of tri fives used the short headers including us at one time or another and nothing was said.

15. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

loudbang likes this.
  16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thats nice Butch, but after I could get no answer from them I decided I would just keep the car original and leave the cast iron Glide in, but if I do change to a later model trans it will be a TH350 like Marv suggested.

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A TH200 metric is a much lighter trans with a better gear spread, it's why so many are using them now. They do cost $$$$$ however. What did you do with the electric shift Glide you got with the car? I am Butch/56sedandelivery

loudbang likes this.
  18. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Thanks for that information appreciate anything I can learn about parts used on the old stockers. Information on stahls is not as documented as I thought it would be. So thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  19. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

I realize the aluminum glide was not legal back in junior stock. I was just asking if you were looking for specific old school bell housing to mount your aluminum glide for nostalgia reasons. Or just away to use the factory 57 mid mount with aluminum glide. I asked because I consider using aluminum glide in my tribute project. I wanted to use factory engine mounts. We make all the engine mounts for dirt cars we build. So took a look at factory 57 and came up with a design or idea using factory 57 frame mounting. We would used the style mount we use when we can't use a mid plate. It's 2 pieces that bolt between the engine and tranny modified to bolt on to the factory 57 frame mid mounts. Very simple and light You would have to use a 1/4" converter spacing kit and the long engine dowel pins. I would use glide tranny struts if there is going to be no support at the tale-housing .

loudbang likes this.
  20. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Got one of those too. Still have that Glide also.

loudbang likes this.
  21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

All the Tri-Five Chevrolet vendors sell an aftermarket, mid-mount/bellhousing mount kit to use more modern automatics. But, in order to use an aluminum Powerglide with those, the machining process "ears" on either side of the stock bellhousing need to be cut off so they will fit. That's a lot cheaper way of doing it than the A-1 bellhousing, and less work. It looks a little cheap/cluttered to me however; the kit I bought years ago, I then sold for that very reason. The A-1 bellhousing looks better, but is a little more work, since the stock bellhousing on an aluminum Powerglide has to be completely removed/cut off. The A-1 bellhousing is then bolted to the front pump bolts, just like the SFI certified bellhousings on race automatics is bolted on/attached. I'll admit, I do have some reservations about the aluminum transmissions just "hanging" out there, like the stock cast iron Powerglides and manual transmissions did; I'd probably add a rear crossmember/transmission mount just as additional support. But, would that be legal to do in the current Stock rules? Side mounting the engine, and using a rear transmission mount/crossmember, would be the best way, but the 55-57 blocks have no provision for sidemounting those engines. And, would doing that be legal? Decisions, decisions. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Goldrush running Stock with that scoop?

goldrush scoop.............a.JPG

goldrush scoop.............b.JPG

enloe, quick85, NHRANUT and 3 others like this.
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Could have been an AHRA class; they were are LOT more liberal with their rules. They also had a LOT more classes/designations. Hard to tell, but it looks like there are bucket seats in the car also. Maybe the "S" stands for Street/AHRA. Can't see a stick shift 57 Chevrolet, snatching the front tires off the pavement, with the stock rear end either. What track? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Tom 57 150, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  24. Tom 57 150 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  25. FLATROCKER

FLATROCKER
    from nw ohio

Car is not the original Hydrophobia but it a very nice Jr Stocker. I have seen it and is very well done . Beautiful car.

26. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

Saw some of the mounts out there,that's why we were going to make our own.ha. We had better luck on our cars with tranny struts. When using mid plate or mid mounts the flex in the middle of the frame where the cross member was would twist on the back of the case. Of course everything was mounted solid. We started making a rubber setup at the back of the glide. Then we went with struts and had no problems. Now ,they make stronger after market cases with or without a removable bell housing. But probably not legal for your application. But is a much stronger piece. I think I still have some good old asbestos bands left.Let me know if u need one. Hard to find around here anymore. They work much better imho than Kevlar or red or even carbon. Kevlar bands r junk.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The two A-1 aluminum Powerglide bellhousings I ordered/bought arrived today; pretty quick delivery, but they're only down in Vancouver, Wa and it's a straight shot up I-5 to Everett on the big brown truck. Kind of disappointed; they did't even send any decals!!!! But they did stick 4 big ones on the outside of the box (???). They're really a heavy, thick casting, but not as "refined" as the current SFI certified bellhousings. Now to find a Powerglide with a busted bellhousing; I don't really want to cut one off of my good Powerglides. As far as Powerglide bands go, I have more aluminum Powerglide parts and pieces than I'll ever use; a lot of it's new or NOS. I even have an EARLY 62 drum for a Chevy II/Nova; it's one part you DON'T want to use however. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    KickinAsphalt and loudbang like this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

To bad your not closer, I could hook you up.

loudbang likes this.
  29. old chevy luver

old chevy luver
    from sd

To bad your not close .I have some empty cases.l have one that had a crack in bell housing and was welded u could have it or a good one. Don't really need them. Everything in dirt is either internal clutch 2 speeds or after market case powerglides. About killed a friend loading car on trailer with my first internal clutch tranny. You have to push clutch pedal in to move. It is a hard thing to get use to. One of the salvage guys here had a old air cooled that came out of a chevyII. I could see if he's still got it if Iu r collecting glide stuff. That drum would work in our old first gear only glides. We only put a couple plates in high and reverse. All gears had to work,but raced in low. We had just about every part for a glide in our dealership parts dept all gm. Couldn't return to gm. Had no place for them at the time. Some nos guy got everything we left. Get sick when I think the stuff we let go.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Pride & Joy

pride & Joy.JPG

New Breed

new breed xx.JPG