Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hop Up done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdcolby, Feb 22, 2019.

1. mdcolby

mdcolby

Been trying to re up my subscription. I tried at the GNRS was told they were only doing it online. Been trying to do it online but it just kept saying "subscription sold out" now today there is a letter under subscriptions that doesn't sound good! Best magazine out there hope they are not done!

2. What' the letter?

3. mdcolby

mdcolby

check out the website and scroll down under subcriptions

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

https://www.hopupmagazine.com/blog/2019/2/22/subscriptions

That’s the letter.

I’d say they are probably looking for a new printer or something that can keep up with the growing demand.

Generally if your going under you don’t say stuff like “growing pains”

Just calm down and I’m sure they’ll let us know what’s going on.

hendrcs, LOU WELLS and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Hyfire

Hyfire

That’s a pretty cryptic message.

notrod13 likes this.
  6. Sounds like the management doesn't want to do what some magazines in the past have done and sell new subscription, take your money and not be able to provide the product, that's the mark of a good business decision and doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth of the subscriber.

I for one have had it happen to me and if the defunct title was revived I don't think I would invest my hard earned money again.

I appreciate the Hop Up crews being up front with their situation. HRP

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    fauj, Ranchero59, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  7. Well, that answers my question. ‘Hope they find a way to keep it going. The publishing business is brutal these days.

sidevalve8ba and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. Damn...great magazine....hope they get it handled...long live print media!

9. Spooky

Spooky

^^INDEED!^^

10. This's one of my favorite magazines and I for one still like my print. I really enjoy the purity and how non commercial it is throughout. That's why I advertise, and the fact that good people are behind it. I wonder if there's more or something that we could do as consumers/subscribers? I think the majority of us want to see HOP UP and others live on (if there really is any threat of them stopping print). Maybe they need more committed subscribes? I would imagine if there was a need we'd come to aid to see it live on!

Unkl Ian likes this.
  11. gene-koning

gene-koning

That sounds like the polite way to tell you some of the crew thinks they need to add more ads, or charge more for the mag, or they want to just be done and move on.

The idea that want to get feed back from current subscribers probably means the end product probably doesn't look much like what you have seen in the past. One has to wonder that if they haven't been taking subscriptions for a while, who exactly are the "current subscribers" they waiting to hear from? Gene

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like the partners are ready to bail, leaving that one guy holding the bag.

13. I'm seeing a lot of the same chicken little responses that popped up when The Rodders Journal was offering lifetime subscriptions to raise capital... Lots of assumption that Hop Up is done and out.

While I won't say I'm friends with any of the crew running Hop Up, I've met a couple of them on numerous occasions and know that everyone involved is very invested and involved in not only the magazine, but our hobby in general. I believe that if they thought they were done, they'd be upfront about that.

Let's not count them down and out until they decide they're down and out. :)

Hamtown Al, teach'm, cactus1 and 15 others like this.
  14. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Thank you Speedy ............

pitman, HEMI32, teach'm and 3 others like this.
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just got the latest issue a few days ago and it was a good one. They're still taking my money for my ad. I'm sure as with every business there's a few hiccups along the way. I'd resubscribe today if my sub was up.

16. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I'd re-subscribe today if the website would let me...

Hyfire, kidcampbell71 and Ranchero59 like this.
  17. Hey I dropped a hundo at Autorama.. love my new Hop Up zip up hoodie.. got more Hop Up stuff to wear. They aren’t going anywhere..support this crew!!

dmdeaton, LBCD, Tim and 2 others like this.
  18. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

20190302_113645.jpg they had some nice products to offer at Detriot autorama.

19. alchemy

alchemy

If you are closing the store you don't keep advertising.

Hop Up will live forever!

40ragtopdown, Sancho and Tim like this.
  20. slv63 likes this.
  21. Got my latest Hop Up on Monday. I’ve probably been stiffed on as many short subscriptions as anybody I know. Go live in a cave if you can’t roll with the punches. There are way more important things to stress over than this particular situation.

CHILL.

22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The print magazine is a difficult business, especially when you only have 18 subscribers (Right Morty?).
    And they have been busting their butts to give us an additional high end/traditional hot rod magazine.
    I would work for free for them, if they would have me,,,,

Hyfire and Tim like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Considering it’s 4 people who have day jobs running the thing I’d cut them some slack.

100% Matt and Hyfire like this.
  24. mopacltd

mopacltd

I must live under a rock because I never heard of this magazine!

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Never found the online version by Mark Morton, Veteren hot rod builder, publisher, entrepeneur, and George Dickel sampler?
    Never heard of Hop Up. How about Stormy Daniels? (Ain't thet right, Whiskey Man?)

26. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I just bought the same hoodie at the Dallas Autorama! Wearing it now as I type. :)

27. I Just spent the weekend hanging with one of the partners in Hop Up at the Detroit Autorama.

I wouldn't worry about their future. They are all true car people and have a passion for what they do. If you've read the magazine that's obvious.

While we did not talk about it this weekend, I'm betting they are just experiencing some growing pains.

I, for one, will just keep buying their magazine and wearing their merchandise to show my support to one of the highest quality hot rod publication to ever be produced.

hotrodpodo, captain scarlet and Tim like this.
  28. Hyfire

Hyfire

Ready to support again.

Credit card in hand!

29. mopacltd

mopacltd

? AtwaterMike

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I know all 4 of them.. and you guys are suckers.....

Please relax... this is S A R C A S M..... they are all super folks and quite passionate of what they do.. all is fine and healthy...