Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Medic4lifejr, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Hi everyone I have 53 Chevy sedan. When I purchased a while ago, it came with different colors all the way. Grey body, black hood and blue fenders. I sanded the whole car down to metal and rattle canned it. Used Krylon cans. Now that engine, suspension, and interior has been redone. Now my neighborhood wont allow me to setup paint booth in the garage due to HOA. My option would be renting a booth. Sending the car out to a pro, would be out of range quotes were 8k average especially now that I'm married and planning for a kid. Funds are easier to achieve for supplies with the sidework I can get.
    My issue is currently doing some body repair filling in dents. I am using Rustoleum 2 in 1 primer filler to spray over filler. Comes out of can and its easier due to I am able repair in the garage easily.
    I am getting single stage paint solid color from Carquest. If spraying over Rustoleum primer will it be a problem? The booth is charging $250 for 5 hrs no prepping allowed just roll in and spray then roll over to heat lamps. I'm hoping wont be problem so I can spray in one day.

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Sounds like problems to me?

Slopok likes this.
  3. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Do you have any recommendations of primer that comes out of can that I can spray over body filler?

4. I personally would not spray real paint over rattle can primer. It might come out ok for a while, but that stuff is really thin. You need to put a good coat of primer on it and prepare the primer first if you ask me. Remember, a paint job is 99% preparation and you aren't hiding anything with paint, you are just coloring it.

Bugguts and Slopok like this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

6. evintho

evintho

Solution.....move! Get far, far away from any HOA. Nothing good comes from them!
    Once in a home where you set the rules, you can set up your own portable booth and spray your car properly.

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I can't recommend a spray bomb primer for automotive paint primary because I've never used any other than self etch for break through spots and that doesn't work all that well. But use Rustolium primer on something your using there paint on, lawn furniture or flower pots.

Slopok likes this.
  8. Slopok

Slopok

Bring it to Maaco, for around $300.00 and let them roll it in and out!

Johnboy34, Oldioron, jimgoetz and 3 others like this.
  9. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Lmao!! I wish we just bought this house. Already been called to board meeting because I'm running split manifold straight pipes. Luckily the noise occurs after 7am. Neighbors complained that I have it idling 4am lol

jimgoetz likes this.
  10. belair

belair

Yep - HOA and spray bombs. Two strikes against you already. Sand it down and go to Maaco.

jimgoetz, 56don and Slopok like this.
  11. I must be missing something. Your HOA won't go along with you making a temporary paint booth in your own garage but they will go along with you setting up a temporary rented paint booth in your yard or driveway??

Anyway, here's the thing about HOAs when it comes to "temporary" situations. They have to power to send you a letter......... and that's pretty much it for something temporary like you're talking about.

12. I am pretty sure by "renting a booth" he means taking his car somewhere to spray it.

13. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Maaco in my town wanted 2400

14. This is exactly why I live out in the middle of nowhere. Things like this make my hour drive to work all worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RMONTY and Frankie47 like this.
  15. Slopok

Slopok

Wait for the special, they have it at least twice a year on TV.

Medic4lifejr likes this.
  16. Durp! :confused:
    But I was right about the part where I said I was "missing something".

belair likes this.
  17. LOL!

18. I was gong to say he same thing.^^^^^ you can't really do custom paint in a day and Maaco will give you a guarantee.

jimgoetz likes this.
  19. how did the HOA know, did ya ask?
    forgiveness is easier than permission

Truckdoctor Andy, belair and jimgoetz like this.
  20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There was a long thread about painting with Tremclad and a foam roller and brush. This subject caused a stir on the net a few years ago. The idea is, you can paint your car with a foam roller and foam brush by giving it 2 coats, wet sanding with 600, 2 more coats, wet sand with 800, 2 more coats, wet sand with 1000 and polish and get a finish equal to a spray job. Lots have tried it and it works pretty good. Do a search and see what you find out.

Medic4lifejr likes this.
  21. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

I have been doing body work on my car. Had lots of small dents both sides of quarter panel. Well I've been spraying rattle can primer with my car halfway out of the garage to some light and adding body filler. Well the HOA personal walked up to me showed me her badge and handed paper of the violation. I guess neighbors complained

22. I have painted lots of stuff with Rustoleum and a brush. A good brush and properly thinned Rustoleum will lay out real well.

I painted a bike once with Lacquer and brush. My reasoning on it was that you wet sand between coats anyway. It took me a week as opposed to a couple of days and you could not tell that it was not sprayed when I was done.

Granted that is not the new old school way to do it but it is all about the doing what needs to be done isn't it.

RDR likes this.
  23. Since when can a HOA dictate what you do inside your home? Pretty simple solution IMO; put the car in, close the garage door, build the booth, spray the car. Get some portable shop lights if needed. Put up a 'No Trespassing' sign while you're at it, that'll keep the peeping tom busybodies away...

Unless you live somewhere where doing this is prohibited by law, I don't see how they can say anything. A lot of HOAs get away with crap like this because people let them.

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

HOA's have the Nazi police. The HOA that we belonged to made up their rules as they went along and we busted them.

All HOA's have CC&R's and are different from condo's to housing tracts. If you haven't read them, I suggest that they get read. CC&R's can be your friend or enemy depending on your motives. There has to be something that they are making up as far as painting your car in your garage.

In SoCal, I know of some guy's who set up shop in their garages and nothing could be said or done about it.

25. glad I dont have a HOA
    my neighbor did put up a big privacy fence though

26. I will NEVER live anyplace that has an HOA. I've got them all around me, and horror stories abound. Give some of these people any authority and they will use it to prove their importance...

27. Is the fine cheaper than renting a booth?

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Amen.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  29. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's funny around here you can spray a car in your yard but do it in a garage and the fire department will lock you up!
    I've been out of the shop for three years now but I'm hearing about permits for booth's from the state, training requirements and the fire department always gets involved. One room in the bodyshop could cost 75K.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  30. belair

belair

If you spray in the garage, do it when most folks are either gone to work or before they leave, have some kind of (hard to notice) ventilation-air in and air out, a RESPIRATOR of some kind, as paint fumes will gladly kill you, and be SURE to blow out the pilot light for the hot water heated in the garage (if it lights the water heater, you will be in the center of an explosion). And your house will smell like paint for a while too, so deal with your wife in whatever way works for you.