Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bait and switch - JEGS new 6 piece English wheel anvil set

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrailerTrashToo, Mar 5, 2019.

1. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Have you check the past reviews (if any), if not write a review. Maybe it is an error that will be corrected. It looks like the dies you receive, never made it to the final finish just pull off the line, thrown in a box and shipped out. Contact JEGS and see what they will do. You might be surprise to see the horsepower of a shipping clerk.

2. Sporty45

Sporty45

I'm glad you contacted them and look forward to hearing how they address the problem.

3. Mahty

Mahty

Part of the reason these parts are back ordered is because of the Chinese New Year. Apparently it’s a major work stoppage over there.
    On that note the OP ordered from and paid Jegs. It’s on them. I’ve heard too many times when there is a problem with a purchase, “it’s not our fault, it’s the manufacturers fault”. But I paid YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

F&J, TrailerTrashToo and low down A like this.
  4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

There are so many things that can go wrong with mail order. The order taker can miss one number of the part number, the stock person can pull the wrong part, the shipping person can package improperly, the delivery guy can fold...spindle...and mutilate all at the same time
    The best thing is to call them as soon as you open the box. when they answer the phone, tell them that you have an issue and ask if they can help or at least get an explanation or a referral to someone who can help you.
    The problem may be a two minute phone call away from resolution. That's better than blowing a fuse. That's just my two cents.

Yamagrant likes this.
  5. robracer1

robracer1

Next time order from Summit and if you have a problem they fix it quickly

Mahty likes this.
  6. I sent them a inquiry last night asking if the anvil dies are polished like the photo, this morning my question has disappeared, that should answer the question. HRP

Xtrom likes this.
  7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Quick update;

Got a prompt update from JEGS, with an apology and an offer to make it right. In part "
    We may have switched suppliers for these and have not yet updated our web picture."

They are in the process of pulling 5 sets from inventory to "see if they are all this way or the box you received was just a bad egg."

I sent a thank you for the prompt reply.

And for all those who are posting without reading from the beginning:
    As shipped - Med res.jpg
    This is what I got, the lower anvils were thrown in the box, not wrapped or otherwise protected, with one (1) strip of packing paper for stuffing.

No argument that these lower anvils are less than $24 each quality. I DID get what I paid for. I DID NOT get what was shown in the JEGS picture.

I got stuff to do today, I'll update when I get back.

Russ

ratrodrodder, Texas Webb and Sporty45 like this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I was unable to find a lower anvil set on the Summit web site (yes, I did do a targeted Google search). EDIT: Summit is my first choice when I can not source locally.

9. People are complaining because you went on a public forum and accused a company of doing something illegal without even contacting them first to see what they would do to rectify the problem. Very poor form.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I've received a lot of heat on this, rightly so. I should have handled this differently. That said, this is what I just received from JEGS.

Russell,

Out of the 4 sets I pulled 3 of them were the polished finish. The other 2 were black. I talked to my buyer and it looks like we got a mixed shipment from our supplier as these are the last ones that are going to be available for some time.

I did set aside a polished box if you would like to exchange the set you have for the set pictured on the web. I can also add additional bubble wrap to the package so they are not moving around in the box.

Please let me know which you would prefer and I will get this completed for you.

Thank you.

James Flanary

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

It just looks like they went thru heat treat and were not polished afterwords

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

13. pastlane

pastlane

Good on Jegs for making this right, but am I missing something here? "Out of the 4 sets I pulled 3 of them were the polished finish. The other 2 were black." o_O

NashRodMan and ratrodrodder like this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Aren't they also of a smaller OD? Wonder if the polished ones are?

15. They are smaller than the Harbour Freight ones but I don't see anywhere where Jegs states they are the same or give any dimensional information about the wheels. Other than the polish the wheels the OP got look like the ones in the Jegs picture and like the ones that come with Jegs English wheel. I also don't believe that the OP is suggesting that is part of the problem. He is just pointing it out for others trying to find wheels that fit the Harbour Freight machine.

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm assuming the 2 that were black, includes the set that was shipped to the OP

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have only ordered from JEG'S once; never again. They sent my roller cam to the East Coast (and NOT Washington D.C.); I'm in Washington State. Then, they would't refund me until their part came back to them. They keep sending their catalogs, and I throwing them in the trash; I've asked them to remove me from their mailing list at least twice now. They should send you exactly what you ordered, and tell you to just keep the ones you did't. I ordered some rally wheels from Summit; one arrived with the wheel rim lip rolled over, obviously from being dropped, but by who, who knows. They sent a replacement right out, and told me to just keep the bad one; wound up tossing it in the scrap pile. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Right you are, my bad. To that end though, there may be clearance issues with the die mounts depending on the size and curvature of the work. I have run into this problem on cycle fenders (not on a HF wheel). Nothing a bit of grinding couldn't cure. Just something to consider.

[​IMG]

19. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The threads do not need to be combined. The other thread has value. This thread is just to rant on Jegs over "bait and switch" which is incorrect. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    XXL__ likes this.
  20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Good to see that they are heat treated, anyway.

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

The black ("as-machined") set is a 3rd set.

22. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I received a FedEx return authorization (with printable label). The black anvils are on their way back.

23. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

24. Yes I got the same shit , and IAM in Mexico.. takes for ever to get the right thing..they jus fake... Before you buy from them please take some time and read the coments
    .. save you some Cash...

Sent from my Moto E (4) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TrailerTrashToo likes this.