Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Seat heaters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnus13, Mar 5, 2019.

1. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

I'm getting ready to have my seat upholstered and want to have some seat warmers put in. Do you all haves some suggestions which ones to go with? Also, any tips on having them installed that you may have realized after the fact?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. Had a girlfriend that could do that.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

4. 6sally6

6sally6

Beans--fried food--Mexican--cabbage...all make the seat nice and warm although; when the windows go down it negates much of the warmth!:confused:
    Jus say'in
    6sally6

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It’s amazing what unseen benefits your diet has to do for you ! Just think of how many times you end up with a private seat in Church when it’s seems just as not one more person has room to sit . Always blame it on your Buddy , your in the right place to ask for forgiveness for a bit of unfaithful humor . He will be reminded to turn the other cheek in more ways than one !

Montana1 likes this.
  6. I put them in half a dozen cars. Go on eBay, you should be able to get a set for two front seats for under $50 easy. I've never had a problem with them and they work great.

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Found some at SEMA from the Check Corp. They work great .

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I don't think I would decide which ones to get based on who has the lowest price, there's a lot riding on this, if you know what I mean.
    The bucket seats I had built for my roadster (not finished) were ordered with optional seat heaters, I will dig them out tommorrow to see what brand they are, may be Jacobs Electronics.

Here is a top 5 rated kits reviews.
    https://www.boomsbeat.com/articles/...5-universal-seat-heater-kit-for-sale-2016.htm

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 2K Cad dts had them that you could turn on or adjust the seat and lean back separately. Being able to just have the back heated was great.
    I know guys scoff at this stuff but my 72 year old back appreciats that heated seat especially after a long day. I didn't think about it for the 48 but that may be added to the plan as we intend to cross the Pass to Seattle on a regulare basis and it gets rather chilly in the Rockies when the sun goes down even in August.

lothiandon1940 and Torana68 like this.
  10. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I’ve fitted literally hundreds of seats with the various eBay types. All of them work, the extra cost of the more premium kits seems to improve the quality of wiring and switches

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I can't see myself in this. But I wouldn't say no to seat chillers, if they could be had.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Ned they do make cooled seats, my wife o/t 2018 appliance has them.
    Really just perforated leather and a fan mounted under the seat to blow air
    I like it

Heated is fun too!

As far as heated
    Go with a premium kit , I have seen lots of seat pads break , short out and catch fire over the years ruining seat leathers and scaring the shit out of drivers when it happens.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Rostra brand is very good quality and are long time suppliers of this type equipment both OEM and aftermarket. There are no doubt other good brands but if you want a known good quality brand to look for, this is my recommendation. Yes, I have installed them.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. zz29

zz29

I saw a video of someone just getting some seats with seat warmers out of the junkyard and repurposing them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. robracer1

robracer1

Heated seats are great for a roadster without a top or side windows if I get the urge to go for a ride on a cool day, as far as getting a good one I would ask your upholster which they think is the best one to use.

Just Gary likes this.
  16. oldolds

oldolds

I would go you the you pull it yard and get the stuff I need there. OEM stuff is usually the better stuff. Lots if choices to pick from. Hands on picking is usually the best way to decide what will work. Lots of cars from 2000 on had them

17. My first experience with seat heats was a good while back, I was riding with a fellow club member in his new off topic car en-route to a club meeting, It was dark and the weather was extremely COLD, I noticed he was messing with the dash but wasan't paying attention and the conversion continued, a few minutes later I was squirming around in the seat and I told him my butt & nuts were on fire, he busted out laughing and said the seats were heated and pointed out the dials on the dash, he had his on 3 and mine was on 10, those leather seats can get HOT.

If I ever build another roadster I will have heated seats. HRP

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  18. Nothing worse than having your balls on fire!!:eek:

alanp561, BJR and Hnstray like this.
  19. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Installed them in several topless Jeeps. First set were not wired into the ignition circuit and drained the battery. Corrected that with the next set.

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Mullet cars.
    Traditional outside
    Street rod inside.
    Let the scathing remarks begin I have my asbestos underwear on ;)

patmanta and rusty valley like this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hot seat

paul philliup and dwollam like this.
  22. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

Thanks for the {helpful} responses.

23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

ROTFL!

But seriously, something that's easy to hide and extends the season for your car isn't a bad thing in my book. I've had seat warmers in my last few OT daily drivers and I won't go back. The current one has a heated wheel and it makes those 15° New England mornings and cold blasted pitch dark at 4:30 days A LOT more bearable.

I was planning to just throw a $20 cigarette lighter powered heating pad in mine on cold weather days. The only thing I found with them is that they're a little hard to get to stay in place.

magnus13 likes this.
  24. I wouldn't upholster a seat without them. it is the only heat in my coupe and keeps it "comfortable" with out side temps in the 30's.
    I don't remember the name brand I used, but they had little round rocker style switches that fit perfectly into the end of 3/4 emt. I welded a couple sweeps together under the seat so the switches are with in reach, but "hidden". DSCF4210.JPG

25. Got mine from Mac's (now part of Eckler's). Keeps the boys comfortable on chilly days.

26. Got mine from Mac's, now part of Eckler's. Keeps the boys warm on those chilly days. At 71-I'll take comfort to keep riding.