Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WTF really

WTF really

Looks very good. I need mirrors and them wing nuts.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Cleaned up and b roke down the 9 inch so I can slide in the alignment bar before my buddy welds up the spring and shock perches I tacked in, plenty stinky in the garage today.
    20190304_154125.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  3. clem

clem

Nice job !
    I did something similar years ago, fitted same mirrors to the door hinge of both my ‘32s.
    I drilled the hinge from the inside and very very carefully, so as not to damage the chrome, took a grinder to the contact point and contoured it to shape.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Drug home a Curtis compressor. Hope I can get it working because I shelled out $250 for it.

0305190938a_HDR_resized.jpg

RICH B, Boneyard51, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  5. I said it looks fast. Doing such a flawless job IS tedious, though and ironically takes hours.

chryslerfan55 and David Gersic like this.
  6. Hombre

Hombre

blowby, Man that's a score I have been looking for one for a while now. I check every site I can find, lots of them on Govdeals but they all seem to be 3 phase. If that one is single phase you really made out. good luck with it.

chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's 3 phase unfortunately. I have a converter that powers my spin balancer but I doubt it will handle this.

8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Those dudes are rebuildable! You did good!

Bones

9. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

For the last month, I have been moving to our new home and shop. Was in the old place for 21 years and a 5000 sq ft shop building. The 1st thing I did was to bring in a 30 yard dumpster.

Have now filled the dumpster with stuff I should have not bought or thrown away years ago. I have sold 5 pick up loads of car stuff from 1920's thru the 40's. That was a good start, then all the shop equipment. My watch makers lathe 15 feet long and 5000 pounds. The milling machine, the smaller lathes, sand blast cabinets, 10 hp air compressor and tons of tools , 50 ton press, Sunnen hone welding equipment, all the spray booth stuff 3 hoists, sheet metal fabrication equipment and the list goes on and on.

Today was our 10th load of a 20 foot box truck. Me thinks maybe just 2 more and its all moved. This does not take into consideration the professional machinery movers. The real time will be involved with sorting and finding things and where to put them. Never thought I would be doing this at this stage of my life. I always thought where we moved from was a toe tag house , I figured I would go feet first. So some sage advice from someone that has been there. Stop now and start thinning the herd, get rid of anything you have not moved touched or used in 3 years. We are all guilty of hording and saving that one thing that we might use or need, which we really don't. Start now and don't leave it up to your widow to sort through. We are down sizing and sold several cars and have decided to keep 7. The real reason was to move closer to the grandkids so we can attend their activities and games. Well thats my story and think about all the stuff you have that you will never need or use.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

chryslerfan55, Hombre and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Found out the new owner of the shop will phase out my division by the end of the month and I will be out of a job,he is a corporate guy that thinks all divisions should make money all the time but that is not how its been since I have been there. Something tells me I might be getting off the ship before it sinks and I think I have another job lined up but might take a little time to get going. I do auto upholstery in a shop that started doing electronics and window tint and that is the money maker right now so I will be going to a body shop that has been wanting to get into the upholstery business for years,I had been looking since I had a feeling this was coming.

11. Modified some Wilwood backing plates for a friend’s 32 Hiboy.
    Aluminum parts “ Admin delete post if inappropriate ”

IMG_7884.jpg IMG_7892.jpg IMG_7863.jpg IMG_7886.jpg IMG_7890.jpg IMG_7895.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  12. Nothing earth shaking but I did pickup up a repop old style Harley Davidson horn for my sedan, I figured as long as the car is down for the interior I might as well install a horn, after 30 years I have finally figured the middle finger doesn't always get their attention

Back in the early 70's when I built my model A pickup I had a original early HD horn on that truck and I picked it up years ago when I was building bikes, I should have kept it, the original ones are bringing a premium. HRP

3600010_A.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and osage orange like this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Mocked up the 377 on the engine stand today , installed the 4 end pistons to measure deck height. Gotta have something to put those 660s on:D

swade41 and osage orange like this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Got the kick panels installed.

Attached Files:

osage orange and David Gersic like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worked my way out back to take a photo of my front bumper filler panel for someone. That didn't work out well. IMG_2280.JPG The pissed off shop cat (because he doesn't have a shop with wood stove heating it to sleep in cause his human didn't get it finished) walked out with me and then figured out that those Human foot prints were better walking than wading through the snow.
    IMG_2281.JPG
    We eyeballed the cowl that is supposed to be used for the new build. Not going to get anything done ther soon.
    IMG_2278.JPG
    Outside of making a run down to Wishram to an estate sale and buying a few things for the shop and seeing some wild horses on the way back I didn't get a lot done.

Attached Files:

16. WTF really

WTF really

Them look really nice. Did you make them yourself? If so what materials did you use?

17. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JOYFLEA, swade41, blowby and 3 others like this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Changed plugs in an off HAMB 06 Honda, cleaned Map sensor, Throttle sensor, filters and changed oil. Hated every second of it!! Man what you have to do for your kids sometimes...….

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They were made from door panel boards and I reused them since I did not feel like cutting speaker holes again,I recovered them and added some padding and now to work on the panel behind the seat.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yes...these guys will stand there and watch as you light the wrong end of your cigarette. Then laugh about it. Then post about it. Pictures. Videos.

Crap...it's after 10:00 a.m. already.
    It'll be frkn winter again before I know it. Move it, RB.
    "But I'm achy and sore...and nobody cares about me."
    "Shut up and move your ass."
    Lol...have a good day, everybody. :D

21. Yeah, I hear you! My son is coming by so we can finish the brake job started six weeks ago. I've come down with a nasty cold, its been raining, the driveway is a quagmire and we'll have to hose off the car before backing it into the garage to work on it. Fortunately it will be in the mid-50s by midday, but windy with gusts to 50 mph, according to the forecast. Just have to do the right front and back brakes on his OT SUV, so a couple of hours of work should get us there.

22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Started assembling the 409 today , Need to file fit rings.. Anybody got a ring squaring tool for a 409? Damn weird deck angle .....:rolleyes:

Tickety Boo, saltflats and blowby like this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Walked the local old junkyard twice today,went over it looking for some armrests to put on the door panels in my 37 Chevy p/u and when I was on my way out ran into a friend who was just coming it so I went over the whole yard again with him looking for some 64/65 GM A body trim parts.

chryslerfan55, Hombre and lumpy 63 like this.
  24. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]

Stock model a..building a stock a engine for one of the brothers.The cat is 75,tried to lure him over to the darkside with some banger hop up ideas,no go...

chryslerfan55 and Hombre like this.
  25. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

[​IMG][​IMG]

Had both my girls in the garage helping me fix holes in the floor on the bird today.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, saltflats and Hombre like this.
  26. lake_harley

lake_harley

Today, I machined a clevis for the clutch and brake pedal assembly that I'm fabricating for my '31 Coupe. I just bought a "new-to-me" lathe and a mill/drill. A friend of mine came by for about 2 or 3 hours yesterday and gave me a session of Machining 101, and we made the clevis for the brake master cylinder. The one I made today was almost identical, but for the clutch master cylinder. I was pleased how it turned out and I didn't get my hand ripped off by the spinning parts. :)

Kinda funny that I spent about 4 hours making the two clevis' that I might have been able to buy for ~$20.

Lynn

27. Hombre

Hombre

Isn't it funny how that works.

I do a lot of competing at 1,000 yd shooting match's. One thing you really need is a shooting box to hold all of your stuff. Now you can buy a very nice solid Oak shooting box for around $300. I looked at those and said " man I can build that" So I go out and buy planners, a jointer, Table saw, router and a ton of wood working tools to build my own box. Got it built to, trouble was after I purchased all of those tools and the wood that damn box cost me close to 5 Grand. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy's.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby with my Grandson today. Won the first three heat races, placed third overall. We'll get them next year. Bob

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Went to my 16 year old grandson's birthday party. So far he is my best chance for a gear head out of the 5 grandsons. He has already talked me out of a 4 bolt 350sbc for his OT S-10 and has his eye on my 54 Olds. He got a mig welder for Christmas and has been burning up a bunch of wire learning to use it. There may be hope for some of his generation yet!:D

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Starting on the seat,was planning on brown with red bead but did not get enough brown so since I have plenty of red it will get red inserts. I still have to get over 100 dollars of foam to finish and need to watch my spending since I am changing jobs.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.