Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Limeworks column shifter kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickwagon, Mar 5, 2019.

1. hi Guys, anyone using one of the Limeworks column shift steering columns ?
    question - how much steering column length do you require in the engine bay ?
    trying to work out the column length for my Model A roadster pickup and not sure if I need to allow more length because of the shifter linkage assembly at the bottom of the column.
    anyone ?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'd have the body mounted to the frame with everything in place, engine, steering shaft, exhaust etc. Lots of things to consider, engine type and placement, headers, engine tube, starter. Is it a SBC or SBF, is column RHD or LHD configuration as I only see LHD on Limeworks site? Do you plan to run a morse cable or mechanical crossover bar to connect column to transmission? If LHD column the shifter lever will be on right hand side. You need to maintain safe clearances around column and room for the connecting universal joint. You don't want the universal joint adjacent to your headers like this local car, albeit it's a 32.
    upload_2019-3-6_11-54-51.png
    Determine where you sit and dummy up a column (Exhaust tube) with a steering wheel and measure distance to floor / toe board. Then work out how far column needs to extend into engine bay past firewall. The shifter shaft doesn't really care whether it's close to firewall on inside or outside of cab however I'd recommend a morse cable for ease of fitting and adjustment. A neutral start switch mechanism is mandatory here with automatic transmissions and make sure column is securely mounted at both ends.
    upload_2019-3-6_11-33-30.png upload_2019-3-6_11-35-0.png
    [​IMG]

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't know if this is what I'm looking for or not but I would like to connect my stock shifter on my 64 via cable to the C4. Part of the reason is just more precise shifter control. I do not want to use an aftermarket shifter, I know of at least one Tbolt still running the column shifter so I should be able to also.

4. yep I'm all good with all that, done the broom handle for column length inside the car etc - the question was do I need to allow additional column length for the shift linkage at the bottom of the column. car is RHD but they only make the kit to suit LHD - not too bothered about that - the area between the column and door is just kind of waste space anyways so the shifter may as well be there. running a buick nailhead with a GM 200R4 and will use a morse cable - possibly the Lokar cable kit will be a good solution. have since found a very good installation article in HOT ROD magazine with lots of pics in a Model A roadster installation.

cheers Stumpy - appreciate your reply

5. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i have that set up and went with a 30" column. i have probably 3-4 inches sticking out the firewall . also went with a 4 " column drop . garden variety SBC with block hugger headers everything cleared . the one thing you'll need to consider is the lower mount . i had to fabricate mine

6. awesome - thanks Jbon64 - any chance of a pic of your fabricated lower mount ?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shift handle out next to the door isn't a new thing. Guys used to do it in the 50's and 60's so they could have their arm around their girlfriend and shift left handed here in the US.
    I'm guessing you are planning on using a cable and may need a custom cable.