Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Round 2! 1940 Buick Super. Kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyNapkin, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Well heck awards evidently have been dished out...Congratulations... @DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  2. Jarek Thompson

Jarek Thompson

I think Dirty Napkin is being a little humble, this homemade car is the Worlds Most Beautiful Custom: 2DAE402D-78E2-497E-8DC1-1BB0D4C3DE6C.jpeg

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...truly one slick Machine...congratulations again

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  4. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thank you to everyone. All the kind words means a lot to me. I just build as a hobby and have so much more room to grow.
    GNRS was great and all. But Sacramento Auto Rama granted me one of my life long wishes.
    We took home “The Baggy” Eorlds Most Beautiful Custom, King of Customs, West Coast Kustoms pick, and 2 other little awards. I built the car in tribute to my mother and I built it to try and compete for those awards. But to have my name called for them was so unreal.
    Here are some pics from that weekend.
    And thank you to anyone that came by and said hi to me at the shows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Woogeroo, rockable, HEMI32 and 10 others like this.
  5. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Also The Rodders Journal came and did a little number on my car. So hopefully it’ll be published real soon. Thank you Steve, Geoff, and Curt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotgas, Woogeroo, 390cad and 9 others like this.
  6. belair

belair

Beautiful. Just like moms. Really nice color, too.

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  7. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thank you

8. Voh

Voh

I sure hope this thing makes it to the round up!

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  9. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Congratulations for your wins. Cool Rodders Journal doing shoot. can't wait to see it. I followed your build on the Hamb from the start. Fantastic workmanship. Well deserved awards. One of my favorites. Got to love the home builds.

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  10. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Voh. It won’t this year sorry. The tax man got me good this year so I’m sticking to Cali shows this summer. I will for sure bring it next year

Woogeroo likes this.
  11. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Ranchero59, thank you. It’s been a hard challenging build but I’m happy with it. Now I can’t wait to cruise it

12. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

DirtyNapkin and Peanut 1959 like this.
  13. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

14. Congratulations, Steve, well deserved! i followed your build from day one, the Buick came out so great!
    Cheers, Carsten

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  15. Voh

Voh

@DirtyNapkin did you decide if you were gonna make it to Texas for the Lonestar Roundup next weekend?

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  16. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thank you. I just wait to start driving the shit out of it.

17. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Voh
    Sadly I won’t be there. I will for sure make it next year. The tax man hit me harder then I thought this year. Have fun. I’ll just be watching it from my phone.

18. Here's a press release from Goodguy's / Fuel Curve:

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-17-of-18.jpg

STEVE PIERCE’S ’40 BUICK SUPER CROWNED GOODGUYS 2019 CUSTOM OF THE YEAR
    March 31, 2019
    by Damon @Nomad Lee

Steve (@DirtyNapkin) Pierce’s classy and classically styled ’40 Buick Super named Pamela has captured the Goodguys 2019 Street Rod Headquarters Custom of the Year title. The honor was announced this afternoon at during the awards ceremony at the 37th All American Get-Together at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton.

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-18-of-18.jpg

Pierce’s Buick proves that a largely home-built and traditionally styled custom can still win this prestigious Goodguys Top 12 title. “I build most of my cars in my two-car garage at home, after work or on my days off from my barber shop,” Steve said. “I take every car as a learning opportunity and try to grow my skills on each build.”

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-2-of-18.jpg
    2019-Custom-of-the-Year-7-of-18.jpg
    2019-Custom-of-the-Year-5-of-18.jpg

The Buick build put Steve’s skills to the test. It’s significantly redesigned with highlights that include a chopped (4-inches in front, tapering to 5¾-inches in the rear) and hardtop-style roof, one-piece hood, ’38 Ford headlights, extended rockers, molded fenders, flush-mounted fender skirts, hidden trunk hinges, ’41 Cadillac bumpers, and custom taillights in the rear bumper guards. Steve did most of the metal work at home before having friend Robbie Azevedo fine tune the body and build the hood. Martin Kolor and Style applied the Valspar Washington Blue finish.

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-14-of-18.jpg

There are updated touches underneath in the form of a ’70 Nova subframe outfitted with Slam Specialties air springs, plus a modified trailing arm rear suspension supported by more air springs. A well-detailed, cream-painted small-block Chevy provides power, backed by a 700R4 overdrive automatic. The 15-inch steel wheels are topped with Lyons hubcaps and wrapped in 6.70-15 wide whitewall Firestones.

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-10-of-18.jpg
    2019-Custom-of-the-Year-13-of-18.jpg
    2019-Custom-of-the-Year-9-of-18.jpg
    2019-Custom-of-the-Year-12-of-18.jpg

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-8-of-18.jpg

The traditionally styled interior gets some extra shine from a chrome-plated stock dash supporting a ’40 Ford-style steering column and smaller-diameter stock wheel. Johnson Kustom Upholstery stitched the stock bench seat and other soft parts in white vinyl with maroon piping and carpet.

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-1-of-18.jpg
    2019-Custom-of-the-Year-6-of-18.jpg

“The car is named Pamela after my mother, who lost her battle with cancer,” Steve said. “She saw me bring the car home and would come over and watch me work on it, but never saw it finished. My mother always pushed to put full effort in everything you do.”

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-15-of-18.jpg

Beyond that inspiration, Steve acknowledged the assistance of many others. “I have many great and talented friends that helped me,” Steve said. “My buddy Robbie Azevedo made the hood and all the windows and trim, plus many other one-off parts. My car club, Squires, help me out a lot as well. It truly is a great tribe. Big thanks to my father, Tom; he helps and does whatever needs to get done. And my girlfriend Paige – she lets me work many hours on the car and lets me be selfish with my time with no complaint.”

2019-Custom-of-the-Year-16-of-18.jpg

Prior to its Street Rod Headquarters Custom of the Year win, Pierce’s Buick received the Harold A. Bagdasarian Award for World’s Most Beautiful Custom, as well as King of the Kustoms crown, at the 2019 Sacramento Autorama. Goodguys would like to congratulate Pierce and everyone involved in crafting this truly Super Buick custom.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  19. @DirtyNapkin -

Congrats on the (14-page) "A LITTLE OFF THE TOP - Building an Old School Custom the Old School Way" article (by @Curt Six Iseli ... with photos by Steve @TRJ Coonan) in issue Number Eighty One of the Rodder's Journal:

A LITTLE OFF THE TOP.jpg
    Pre-war Buicks may be rare, but that didn’t stop Napa, California’s Steve Pierce from turning his ’40 coupe into a tasteful early custom. Inspired by a Janne Kutja illustration from TRJ #45, Steve chopped, shaved and further customized the car in his home garage with the help of friends and family. We photographed the Washington Blue Buick in the heart of Wine Country.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Squablow, Gotgas and DirtyNapkin like this.
  20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

A maroon distributor cap is a beautiful thing!

DirtyNapkin and Hnstray like this.
  21. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I'm a little late to the party, just finished the last 13 pages of this thread. Absolutely beautiful, inside and out. Congrats, all the praise is well- deserved.

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  22. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

I missed seeing the car at this year's GNRS, but enjoyed the TRJ feature. It drew me to catching up with this thread. I am im awe. What an inspiring build. Love the choice of color and all the metal work. Thanks for sharing all the details!

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  23. Mannnnnnnnn, to classy for words!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  24. What a great build , thought I would read through after the TRJ feature and it was well worth it , thanks for taking the time to show the build and congrats on the fine outcome , awesome !!

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  25. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Just wandered in here by accident this week... what an absolutely gorgeous car!

-Woog

DirtyNapkin likes this.
  26. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thank you everyone. Life’s beyond busy right now so I haven’t been on here for awhile.
    I’m beyond humbled on how the car has been received and all of you guys taking time to read/follow my build. It’s a hobby and I’m blessed to have some great friends in this field.
    Thank you guys. Keep building and keep grinding.

27. 34Larry

34Larry

Nuff said by my avatar. Always will be a buick guy. That's my now sold '48 Sedanet .
    although theses days, my first love in my 34 three window, hemi powered hi-boy coupe.

28. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

I’ve been following this build for a while and the car came out amazing. Congratulations on your awards.