Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who drives their Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36 Penny Coupe, Feb 1, 2019.

1. 48chevroterco

48chevroterco

I can’t wait till I finish the new aluminum radiator instal. That’s my therapy also. The old 48 Chevy truck will be so happy cruising the Cali streets listening to the straight eight just chugging along.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My insurance agent "suggested" that I not drive my roadster to work which was fine by me since the two busiest times on the street are going and coming from work. My wife and I particularly enjoy driving in the Hill country at night, slowly because of the deer. Plus, we are planning our 4th trip to El Mirage this year. Grocery-getting is fun if we don't need too much grub, but just leaving the parking lot often takes a while. Still, driving to non-descript locations is as much fun as having a real destination. I dread the time when cruising in the Deuce becomes a job. Guess by that time my Son or Grandson will fight over it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those "moments" you speak of easily turn into hours of pure fun from just driving down a country road, and day often turns into night before we realize it. Simple fun for a simple couple. Whitetail deer keep us around 40 mph or so in the Hill country.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    clem likes this.
  4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan and Keith didn't build that coupe so you could let it rust to the floor ! LOL

rpm56 likes this.
  5. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

I had a 48 Chev truck for my daily for about 5 years but in a moment of madness I sold it. Had sellers regret as soon as I hung up the phone. Buyer used it as his daily for about a year, then sold it to another dude who is also using it as his daily.

350/700R4 and Jag suspension may not be at all traditional, but it made for a great daily driver, and most folk who saw it just enjoyed seeing an old truck and waved out. Nobody yelled out "hey is that a Jag front end in there" :)

OFT and Special Ed like this.
  6. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

I drive my crapcan 1963 Valiant Signet HardTop all the time! Sun/Rain/Snow/whatever. We don't get salt/brine around my area. We use gravel trucks.:D I had to stop driving the 58 Plymouth as the front end bushings and brakes have reached critical status and are not to be trusted.

S10_Man and F&J like this.
  7. agshelby

agshelby

I've only had this one a couple of months, but have logged over 500 miles. I've been in rain, sleet and just a little bit of sun, and the car now needs a good cleaning. I'm not a car show guy and I don't see any point in just polishing a car as a trophy. Wear it out and rebuild it !

Attached Files:

Hombre, Allisons, car doctor and 6 others like this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I drive mine whenever I get the chance except when the fuel pump dies and you have to get towed home 20190128_215743.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TFoch, straykatkustoms, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  9. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

10. thorkea

thorkea

11. John Stimac

John Stimac

Driving my red coupe 454.jpg

Hombre, Lil32, BigO and 4 others like this.
  12. Funny you bring up this hot rod driving, especially now in last weeks of the winter.

The flathead in the '34 was sluggish, stumbling and had a bad miss. I called my engine builder and sent him a picture of one of the plugs. We talked. John said, "Plugs look good. But when was the last time you took the truck out on the road and ran it for an hour, as opposed to just short trips around town?"

My answer, "Years ago." He advised to give it a double dose of Marvel Mystery oil in fresh fuel and go run the hell out of it.

So yesterday was a beautiful cold day here in Richmond. I did the loop around the city, put 60 miles on the motor, and it now runs like a champ. And thoroughly cleared my head as well. No radio, no cell phone, just enjoying the view thru a flatglass windshield with an ear to that little flathead motor.

Every once-in-a-while an Italian tune-up is the ticket for these old cars. What a blast.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    clem, LBCD, Hombre and 9 others like this.
  13. I have never owned a car that could not be driven. My experience is that they were originally built to be driven and modifications should be to make them better not worse. If course I have not had anything running and driving in a while so maybe I am not a good barometer. :oops:

14. Jeff J

Jeff J

Down a gravel dirt road for 30 some miles ! lars trip 2017 054.JPG lars trip 2017 075.JPG

TFoch, straykatkustoms, rpm56 and 8 others like this.
  15. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

In sunny fla I try to drive everyday but the warm nights are the best...

16. websters restylin'

websters restylin'
    from okc

Bought this one from a-bone.. 2,000 miles the first week..

Attached Files:

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Following my buddy Keith on the way thru Monument Valley AZ. IMG_1102.JPG IMG_0997.JPG and a tunnel somewhere in CO.

18. car doctor

car doctor

Love your cabriolet, tried to swap my 5 window coupe for it but the seller wasn't into flatheads!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  19. It's in the 60's today. So I'm out cruising. Here's a couple roadside attractions That I've passed so far. Hope to find a few more. 20190311_123031.jpeg 20190311_104759.jpeg 20190311_105535.jpeg 20190311_105327.jpeg 20190311_103240.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TFoch, deathrowdave, Hombre and 8 others like this.
  20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy driving them. Here is a picture from the mid 90's family vacation to Durango, Co.
    Needless to say we had a great time.

60 pics004.jpg

TFoch, Hombre, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  21. The only reason I can think of not to drive a hot rod is it's broke or it's still a project. HRP

LOU WELLS, Hombre, Blue One and 4 others like this.
  22. Here's a few more pictures I took today. These very tall crosses and, a Cool old Packard. A great day for a cruising! Ron... 20190311_140655.jpeg 20190311_141057.jpeg 20190311_143736.jpeg 20190311_143338.jpeg 20190311_143653.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TFoch, Hombre, 55zephyr and 2 others like this.
  23. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Maine winters are not friendly to cars in general but I still manage to run my cars usually from late March to late November. If you look at the list on my profile page I have 7 hot rods and I drive the wheels off all of them. Actually my wife helps. In one trip in my '33 coupe we started out doing Rt 66 by the time we were done it was 9600 miles, 22 states, 4 Canadian Provinces and seven weeks. That coupe has been in every state except North Dakota and I still plan to get there. The roadster in my avatar is in front of Henry Ford's home in Dearborn.
    This year I will be going back to Michigan in June to visit the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, the Gilmore and Stahl Museums all for at least the second time. In September we will be heading out for The Hot Rod Hillclimb in Colorado and then taking a little side trip thru Texas to visit friends, continue on to Natchez, and drive the Natchez Trace back to Nashville and then poke our way home. All of this is done avoiding on Interstate Highways.
    Like one of my neighbors says "You're dead a long time".
    BTW... None of my cars know what a trailer is.
    It's a car... Drive It...

Guthrie1068, Hombre, 55zephyr and 4 others like this.
  24. F&J

F&J

Awesome way to view & experience life... Take a camera on your next trip out, will ya?
    Mine is trapped inside for the last two days by MUD...I have it parked in the wrong building for mud season here.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  25. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

We always have a camera and my wife writes a daily blog for family and friends on all the trips we do. The thing that got me travelling like this was a friend of mine with whom we share our blogs suggested I read "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. Reading that book dramatically changed the way I travel. Several friends and relatives now travel as we do after reading the book. I recommend it to anyone planning a trip.
    Keep the wheels turning and "Be Safe"...

Guthrie1068 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

he is not kidding... 7 weeks, I got his mail and watered her flowers !

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  27. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

IMG_5263.JPG

Just 2 weeks ago, light snow but nothing major. I need to pull the Muncie back out for a new 3-4 synchro but it won’t be down long. I’ve waited 35 years to own a 64 GTO and who knows how long we are here for except God, so I drive it when I don’t need the truck at home. Randy

28. We like to travel. Just ordered the book. Thanks!

Phil

29. I read that book too, it not only changed how I travel, it made me open my eyes to the people I meet along the way. Highly recommended.

Hombre likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s about it Danny.
    I’m getting closer however, I’m hoping I can get done and drive it this summer.

D2172850-54A6-4F2C-BA10-374AE53CC476.jpeg