Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best looking hood for 1931 Ford coupe on 1932 frame/grill

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I've got a 1931 Ford fender-less coupe with a mini-channel onto a 1932 frame with a 1932 grill. By my mock-up, I need a 34-1/4" hood top (measurement down center hinge), so I'm looking at having Rootlieb make me a custom hood. Rootlieb sells both a 1932 hood, and a 1930/31 hood. The 1930/31 hood has a little flat area that extends 2-1/4" below the beltline, where as the 1932 hood terminates at the beltline. Also, the 1932 hood has longer and more plentiful louvers. I plan to louver the top. I plan to run with open hood sides with leather belt straps in the summer and at 1/8-mile drag strip, and full hood in the winter and for 1/2-mile and 1-mile events.

It is a semi-traditional rod with dull paint and several sets of wheels and tires to let me get lost in the 50s or early 60s. I will run rams-horn exhaust manifolds so that I can close the hood when I want to.

So, here are my questions:
    1) 1930/31 hood or 1932 hood on my '31?
    2) on the hood top: 4 rows of louvers or 6 rows? (I do plan eventually to run a louvered trunk lid.)

-Please post pics of any cars to support your recommendation/opinion.
    Thanks!

2. 48stude

48stude

I made a 32 style hood for my buddy's A. I like the 32 style best IMO Bill 2015-06-24 17.52.26.jpg 2015-06-24 17.54.02.jpg

Lil'Alb, Jibs, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

this might help might not. i thought some one made a hood for 32 grille on a model a. can't remember. SPEC-MDA-hood-1.jpg SPEC-MDA-hood-2.jpg v8-hood_measurements.jpg

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

5. wutnxt

wutnxt

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

wutnxt did you use screen door spring to hold down hood? i never finished mine. could not come up with a good way to hold down hood. truck looked great.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

nochop likes this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

do not run Velcro all the way across the cowl or grill... it holds so well that it will buckle the hood trying to lift it... use about 1" on the inner and outer rear edge of both hood sides... something that clamps or bolts on the front... my $0.02.

9. I built my hood, I needed it to be about 5” longer. The second picture shows how I did it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. alchemy

alchemy

You need the beltline to match the body. Can Rootlieb make the A hood with the proper beltline, but without the lower hanger downer?

11. ^^^^^^^^ Hoosier Hoods can.

-Brent- likes this.
  12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

At first glance at the picture of your coupe, it appears the 32 shell may be higher than the front edge of the cowl. That might make the hood appearance to be awkward. Maybe get it lined up properly if needed before specking the hood.

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had Rootlieb make a couple hoods using paper templates and the top with body bead and the sides with lower beads fit almost perfect, took very little massaging to fit.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Thanks guys! Yes, I have cut 2" out of my grill since my profile picture was taken (good eye!). I'm hoping to use the hood to verify grill height before I order a custom radiator from Walker. Rootlieb will make me a hood to fit a 31 cowl and a 32 grill with the beltline in the proper place. I guess what I'm really asking is whether folks prefer the 31 hood (with the 2-1/4" flat section below the beltline), or the 32 hood that stops at the beltline. I'm probably going to order the 2-piece hinged top tomorrow with 2 rows of louvers (I'm a little torn between 2 rows of louvers or 3 rows of louvers on each side of the hinge. I love the cars that Rolling Bones has done, and it looks like they use 2 rows of louvers on each side of the hinge). Right now, I'm leaning toward a 32 style hood top that tops at the beltline. I'm just going to order the top, and will wait to order side panels until I can make some templates for the side panels since there will need to be some de-conflicting as the hood crosses the frame rails.

48stude likes this.
  15. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

1930-31 hood, i cut the ugly lower lip of about 3/4" below the belt line and folded it inwards, nice and rigid too.

Attached Files:

30tudor and -Brent- like this.
  16. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Hood top ordered from Rootlieb yesterday-thank you for helping me with my decision. I went with a 34-1/4" long 32-style top; set up for 4-piece hood with 4 rows of louvers on top and 25 1932-style louvers on the side panel. I'm waiting to order my side panels until I can mock them up. Rod at Rootlieb was really helpful.

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

DSCN3190.JPG I used a cheap [$50.00] '35ish Chebby truck hood... it was longer and wider... think it was 36" down the center...
    Now 36.750" down the outer edge...
    Bead is a little taller than the A but it curls down to a point towards the front... '32ish...
    '33-'34 Ford truck hood sides with a 6" panel added out front...
    could have added 4" out front and 2 out back but too late now...
    . DSCN3193.JPG DSCN3189.JPG DSCN3192.JPG
    used a hardware store piano hinge... too petite...
    decided to re-use the chebby truck hinge, had to extend by 1"

Lil'Alb likes this.
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Rod at Rootlieb is the best, he has walked me through many custom hoods. They all fit as designed.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. banginona40

banginona40

I have a Rootlieb hood on my coupe and it is great but did need some modifications. No fault of Rootlieb!
    In your case depending on your wheelbase I would be tempted to buy a used '32 hood and cut and paste to fit. Just me, just a thought.

20. Rod at Rootleib worked with me on refining my design, and I couldn’t be happier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What style of louver did you order?
    I ask only because at the time I got mine from Rootlieb the flat top louver was all they offered, would rather have gotten the "old style" louver that has a radiused top.

22. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Hood top arrived today. I went with the flat louvers because that seems to be the kind of louvers I’m seeing on cheap deck lid skins on eBay and I hope to reskin the deck lid with louvers in time. I have mixed feelings about my decision. I may bring my grill up a fraction of an inch, but overall it looks good. Then will send dimensions off to Walker to have radiator made. After that is in, I will template up some 32-style hood sides.

Attached Files:

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

To late now, but I thought Speedway had a Model A hood using '32 grille.

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm going to get shit, but I feel a full hood on a model A on deuce rails is a little long looking.. I love full hoods on A's on A rails but like no hood on A's on deuce rails... OK, lets have it...…

-Brent- and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. It's subtle, but I can see your point exactly, Milo.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  26. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I got the flat top louvers and I kinda wish I’d gone with the curved Louver. Oh well, live and learn. I bought this car to learn on planning to build a roadster next. This gave me a chance to learn something, so mission accomplished. The stock 30/31 Model A hood can be used with a 32 hood without modification, if your car sits on a model A frame with original dimensions, so in that case, a Speedway hood should work. But my car is sitting on an aftermarket 32 frame, and I don’t know exactly how the previous owner located the body on the frame. But this hood is more than 6” longer than a stock A hood. I plan to have a play around with a full hood, hood top only, and no hood. But, I hope to make some time only passes at the Arkansas Mile (dry lakes racing without the clean-up and rust), and ya gotta run a hood by the rule book. Plus, I think a hood may help warm up my firewall and floor pans acting as a heater in the winter. Thanks for all the help and advice.

27. I went custom with 2" under the belt line, then added another 1" piece that it attaches to. I kinda like that you can see your motor with the top on.
    Did you already get the hood sides, I have been watching for a Chevy hood so I can harvest the doors, I like that look.

IMG_2458.JPG

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  28. I assume you know that Rootlieb, http://www.rootlieb.com/ford-1928-31-hoods.html, makes hoods with the doors you like. I don't remember ever seeing a Chevy hood for sale.

Charlie Stephens

29. I did not know Rootlieb made them, but at $850 I can probably make it for a lot less. I see Chevy hood sides occasionally, one day it will be when I have some cash in my pocket.

I am the cost of sheet metal and a case of beer to borrow a bead roller into the hood on the truck now.

30. Did you try calling them and asking if they just sell the sides? Maybe just the doors? Maybe they have blems that you could buy and cut up?

Charlie Stephens