Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Ride '38 Zephyr v12

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Commodoreswab, Jan 17, 2019.

1. 392

Nice ride. Beautiful lines for sure.

2. Stooge

Stooge

Just wow! Such a beautiful car, and luxury interior that looks like you could just sink into it a great pair with the speedster and will make for a damn cool tow vehicle!

3. that's just pure badass !!!

4. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

So far we have made it from the Bay Area to Houston, time to rest up a few days before the next haul to the FL Keys.

kidcampbell71 and warhorseracing like this.
  5. BJR

BJR

Good Eye!

6. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Super cool but too many doors

7. 3340

Looks to be awesome condition, definitely try to get the engine check out

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Beauty unrivaled. ("Too many doors???" Someone doesn't understand 'classic philosophy')
    When arriving home and getting 'situated',

1) check oil, if there is coolant at bottom of dipstick, remove oil pan plug, drain coolant from bottom of oil pan, 'til oil runs out...replace plug, top off with cheap oil for test.

2) Make certain engine will crank over by starter.

3) Prepare to remove spark plugs, disconnect coil wire.

4) Crank engine over a few turns, now remove 6 spark plugs, tapping each one on palm of your hand. You are looking for water drops...
    Crank engine again, remove next 6 plugs, repeat process, chalk-mark whichever cyl.(s) show drops.
    If drops are found,top off coolant (water) and use a radiator pump and pressurize radiator 6 PSI, now with plugs out, crank engine and watch for water at spark plug bores. (Bingo?)
    Remove head(s) and look for gasket leakage, pray for no cracks.
    If a slight crack is found in block, (minimal) sometimes a good 'Block/Head sealer will work. (water glass is best...)
    Naysayers will deny that this can work, but I've repaired more than a few like this...to last 1,2 seasons 'til I could pull down for full rebuild.
    Please try this, and keep us informed?
    Your Lincoln Zephyr is beyond 'admiration'!
    Not 'too many doors', either...

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Hey Alex, You look awful young to be driving in that one picture. I don't know how your legs reach the pedals! lol Seriously, looks like you have your son interested in cars at an early age. Good for you. Good luck on your build.

10. ???????????? Apparently they do not know what a Lincoln is. Luxury and top of the line class. Almost equaling a Rolls Royce.

11. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Thank you Mike, I just found out my gma died last night I saw her just before I started this trip back to the east coast. When I saw hew I felt it might be anyway but you never know. Keeping this car running is my way of carrying on their legacy. I have thought about a roofrack and visor even. I plan to RUN this car and give it a new breath on life.

12. Sorry to hear about your grandma. This car will be a nice way to remember your grandparents.

13. beater40

beater40

Very nice car, I was just playing with a visor on my 37 Lincoln and it looks the part, not sure about roof racks, looks elegant just like it is

Sent from my VFD 710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Say "No" to roof racks. Not once, not ever.
    And definitely not on that car.

15. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Yeah roof racks are a bad idea. Now that I actually have her home and off the trailer I can see that easily, a luggage rack might be different though and was an original accessory although there is no chance of finding one. I have found 2 pairs (different) of windwings in the car and an original radio. I haven't been able to find any spark unfortunately so Im going thru the dist now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Doing a little cleanup 20190213_175457.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

As an update the other day I was able to get her started. As I don't have the alternator set up I have no fan belt and thus no cooling so she just runs a short time. There is a nice bit of rattle in her that I believe is just a lifter a little stuck. I don't know if I am getting water in the oil yet which is what was "said" about the car but nobody knew for sure. My Grandpa had many cars and nobody knew much about this so I'm doing a bit of discovery. The motor just dies when you step on the gas, last night I tore off the carb and it is soaking right now for good reason. After running it for a little while the noise has gone away. Now to reassemble the carb and start flushing the engine with fresh oil and finish lights

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  18. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

19. ^^^^^^Now that Sir is Lincoln class.

B Bay Barn likes this.
  20. ^^^^^what he said

21. jimvette59

jimvette59

That is one beautiful piece of art. Go bless your grandfather for keeping it so nice. Please see the generator mount it doesn't look like it is bolted up properly. Good luck