Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Resistance unit?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jimmysweden, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

2. 34Phil

34Phil

Keeps from burning up points. Pic from Macs. [​IMG]

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

4. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In all (almost all ?) Ignition systems with points they are designed to run at less than full voltage. Phil

5. pitman

pitman

Points are happy, longer, at ~ lower V.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. BJR

BJR

Most cars are wired to bypass the resistor when cranking the engine, and run through the resistor in the run position of the key switch. Giving the coil full voltage when cranking makes for faster cold starts, and on the run position the lower voltage makes the points last longer.

7. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

8. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure exactly but around 4 volts. Phil

9. 6sally6

6sally6

Like the "pink wire" on older Mustangs.
    6sally6

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The points will burn up quickly due to the current (amperes), it's not the voltage. About 3 amps is the limit.

dan griffin likes this.
  11. Garpo

Garpo

The ballast resistor is there to limit current, not voltage. A low resistance coil has a quicker build time, ideal for multi cylinder or high revs. Down side is current draw- hence the ballast resistor. As with many things it's a compromise between what is needed and how to get it. If you watch the trace on a scope it usually shows battery voltage.
    On thousands of cars but rarely understood.
    Garpo

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just bypass it at WOT. ;)

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand the comments regarding ‘current’ (amps) but the resistors also have to do with voltage limitation as it is voltage (I believe) that is the issue with with point arcing upon opening and closing.....the reason that the condenser (capacitor) is also used in the point circuit. If resistors were only used for current control, why would the ignition system bypass the resistor on startup to provide full voltage?........because there is a voltage drop during starter operation.

14. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

...or to provide a “hotter” spark during startup?

Blues4U likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, yes, that is the objective......

My point (no pun intended) is that voltage is a factor, not just current flow. An interesting thing about coil operation is that the coil output (secondary) voltage is only whatever it takes to jump the spark plug gap......and that can be variable depending on a number of factors.

The only time that is problematic is if the resistance at the plug gap exceeds the coil’s secondary voltage capacity. Stated another way, a 50,000 volt coil may routinely put out only 15,000 or so volts if the condition of the secondary ignition components is very good (no excessive resistance) and it only takes 15,000 volts to jump the gap. If the resistance is greater, the voltage output is greater up to the limit of the coil’s capacity.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Truck64 and dan griffin like this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Is this a prewar Ford? They used a 4 volt coil on a 6 volt system with a resistor. Most cars that use a resistor have a bypass wire to feed full voltage for starting. I suspect this resistor is made to have low resistance when cold and increase as it heats up. European cars achieved this without a resistor, the coils had internal resistance that increased as they got hot.

17. nugget32

nugget32

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The discussion about current & voltage is more easily understood when you keep Ohms Law in mind.

[​IMG]
    V = Volts, I = Amps, R = Resistance.

As with all laws of physics Ohms Law is self enforced and cannot be violated.

The primary voltage drops at the coil because there is resistance (the ballast resistor or resistor wire or in this case the "resistance unit"). The current is also reduced because of the resistance. Voltage then rises at the coil, and current flow, when the resistor is bypassed (reduction in resistance), per Ohm's Law.

And the same law applies at the spark plug too. The current is induced within the coil due to a collapsing magnetic field. The amount of current induced is a function of the ratio of turns of wire between the primary and secondary coils, and the inductance and resistance of those coils. The ignition coil serves as an energy storage device in addition to a transformer. The gap between the center electrode and the ground strap on the plug creates a resistance, so voltage (potential) rises in the secondary circuit because of that resistance. The higher the resistance, the higher the voltage, up to the capacity of the coil to generate current.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting, I didn't know 6 volt ignitions needed a lower voltage.

I don't know if any of you noticed but the color of the wires is coded. If you look closely at the spark plug wires each has a color code. I'll bet these were for the guys "nipping the bottle" or couldn't read to get assembly correct.:rolleyes:.

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yabut my point (heh) was a set of points don't care a whit about 6 or 12 or 15 volts but they sure as heck care about 8 amps! The kickback or ringing of the secondary winding coil being several hundred volts, it gets (mostly) absorbed by the condenser but it's still a pretty good zap.

I was just pointing out that everybody gets exercised about ballast resistors and voltage and what they really need to be thinking about is the heat.

Ohm's Law is a good one, and I've always supported it.

G-son likes this.