Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Realistic car related movies.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike

Maybe 10 years ago, I spent a couple of days checking out websites dedicated to Mad Max. I read this info on at least three different sites. Maybe it's bullshit, maybe it's not.

2. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Road to Perdition, Lawless, Public Enemies and lets not forget Blues Brothers.

3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Fast Company pretty realistic flopper racing scenes and real cars

mad mikey likes this.
  4. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I liked Death Proof also...

mad mikey likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So you really could get posi in a 63 Tempest with IRS, and not in a 64 live axle Skylark?

dan griffin and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry
    [​IMG]

7. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

mad mikey likes this.
  8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

White Lightning was one of my favorites but there was a made for tv movie that I believe came out in the late eighties called Catch Me If You Can. It had a bunch of 57 Chevys in it. Wasn't great but haven't seen it in a while.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  9. mickeyc

mickeyc

Red Line 7000! corny but oh so cool to me. The opening scene with the tach bouncing around 7 gs
    then a shot of the oil pressure gauge going to 0 and the tach plummeting then all hell breaks out! Also Junior Johnson flinging a Grand National 427 Galaxy around
    a short dirt tract like the boss he was behind the wheel.
    Another good one was called'' Thunder in Carolina.'' Starring Rory Calhoun. A real oldy one but cool as well.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  10. lake_harley

lake_harley

Yes....RUSH...Good Movie. Like most "car movies" some of the racing scenes are funky but a good story. I've probably watched it 5 times. My favorite line by the James Hunt character when he was asked his thoughts about "settling down", "Sounds fucking awful!"

Lynn

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

How about Hot Rods To Hell.

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-18_16-32-36.png
    Hello,
    As much as we wanted to have “A Star Is Born” win the best picture/actor/actress awards at the recent Oscars, with its fabulous songs and atmosphere, there were some surprises. (It won for best song…) The attraction of two, "rock music" inspired movies took away some votes. Bohemian Rhapsody split the vote…”One dream, one soul, one prize, one goal.” Of the top 3 movies in contention, they were all music inspired, just in different ways. It seemed like a tough choice, though.

This movie, “Greenbook” won the best picture, as it portrayed a portion of our society in the Southeast portion of the USA. The Cadillac played one of the most important parts of the movie. It was a great movie that showed a part of U.S. history that most of us would like to forget. The actors/characters were outstanding. But, overall, it did strike a chord as real life in the 1960s back in the East coast and in the South.

Jnaki

Our country is certainly different in the ways we all look at things and are accepted. This is one portion of our USA history books. Cars have always played a part of the USA history, too. In this well deserved award for best picture of 2019, the Greenbook was the "Best" movie. The Cadillac Sedan should have received the best supporting actor/actress award.

In reading some reviews of the movie, this one from a car related magazine said it best. IMHO

Green Book's Turquoise Star Car

Three, 1962 Cadillac Sedan DeVilles provide the primary setting the film, Green Book.
    upload_2019-3-18_16-35-52.png
    But what matters to us here is the turquoise 1962 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that transports the stars through the segregated American South during the early 1960s.

Viggo Mortensen plays chauffeur Tony Vallelonga, hired to drive pianist Don Shirley (Ali) on tour, so much of the film takes place within the confines of the car as the pair deal with racial discrimination and develop a friendship along the way. The movie draws its title from The Negro Motorist Green Book, a travel guide published from 1936 to 1967. As with many a period road film, it required a lot of vintage iron.

"We had many a day when we had 35 to 45 cars on set per day," explains Jeff Hess whose New Orleans–based company, Dirty White Boy Picture Cars, supplied background vehicles to the production. Hess himself would be one of the primary wrenches maintaining the three 56-year-old Caddies that portray the primary setting of the film.”

upload_2019-3-18_16-36-32.png Patti Perret/Universal Pictures, Participant, and DreamWorks
    "I think they wanted a coupe," Hess says about the Cadillacs. "But since Ali rides in the back seat, that's not cool. And he's a big guy, so it would be hard to do it. And you're putting cameras in there, and a two-door is not the car you want to do that."

While Green Book is being released by Universal, it was an independent production based in Louisiana, and spending wasn't lavish. "A car that old, even if it's original, it still needs to be gone through," explains Hess. "We had to put wiper motors in all of them. We even had spare wiper motors, because once you see the movie you'll see it's a lot of rain and a lot of snow."

Mechanically, all three of the DeVilles were stock—including their original 390-cubic-inch (6.4 liter), all iron, still carbureted V-8 engines. Originally rated at 325 horsepower (SAE gross), they may have been making less after nearly six decades of seasoning. Two of the cars had to run well for filming, while the cosmetically identical third car was used on stage for static filming. "The hero car, we had the intake off," Hess relates. "We put lifters and that type of thing in it. We just do what we need to do. We put in new coil springs and new shocks.

upload_2019-3-18_16-37-41.png Universal Pictures, Participant, and DreamWorks
    "We got the cars from another picture-car guy I deal with on a daily basis," Hess recalls. "We rented them. We painted them and we put interiors in them. Actually, we rented two and purchased one because it was going to go on the stage. The grips put so much on that car, it collapsed the coil springs and caved the roof in. It did extensive outside damage."

The interiors of all three cars were reupholstered to match. "We had a guy here locally," Hess says; "they picked the color and he did them. The color in that car is not a factory color. It's close, but they wanted a specific color for the camera.

"Originally, we were going to film here in New Orleans first and then go to New York City," Hess says explaining the interior's color. "But the production flipped that around to shoot the fall leaves up there. The interiors weren't done yet. So I went to Target and got some blue bed sheets to cover the seats. They approved the colors, so when we got back we took those bed sheets to the upholstery guy and told him to get as close to this as you can get. That's how all that transpired, but we wanted something close to the factory colors."

As for the hero car? "They drove the crap out of it," Hess concludes.

13. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

" The Wraith" ??

14. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I'd have to say that Gone in 60 Seconds is the movie with the least amount of inconsistencies. I think the budget was so low that they had to do everything in one take. Success by default.

Last American Hero, World's Fastest Indian are pretty accurate too.

Although full of faux pas, how about the demise of the Pontiac in The Seven Ups. Not bad.

15. Mark Freeland

Mark Freeland

just saw that, for sure some nice hot rods

mad mikey likes this.
  16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

like some scenes in "thunder road," where luke's car sounds like a straight-8!

17. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It might be just me but I like the American Graffiti 55 Chevy better in Twolane Blacktop.

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

In the opening sequence of "Hairspray" where the main character sings "Good morning Baltimore", on the street there is a '56 Meteor. As a Canadian, I thought that was nice.

19. BENT VALVE

BENT VALVE

The Caddy in Green Book was nice but there sure we're a lot of 64 Chevy taxi cabs and cop cars back in 62. Also that Dodge Business coupe owner must have been on tour with them, that thing was in almost every scene.

chryslerfan55 and gotta56forme like this.
  20. BV,

You and I have the same eye! I saw the movie last week and noticed the '64 taxi in the opening scene when they just announced it was '62! I have to admit, I told myself don't get bogged down on those discrepancies and enjoy the movie. I remember noticing one other car that was made after '63 in a scene, but the actual car isn't coming back to me.

I seem to remember a '55 chevy with a more modern stance and tire & wheel combination also, than wouldn't have been correct 'back in the day'. The blessing & curse of being a car guy...

Gotta56forme/Scott

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  21. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Pit Stop. Figure 8 racing. Real footage.

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Faith%20and%20the%20Deuce%20of%20Spades%2011.jpg I don't know if this one was named yet.

23. Man, I am kind of a stickler for historic details in a movie. If I notice little stuff like that it kind of ruins a movie for me even when I try to overlook it. It just tells me they didn’t give a shit whether it was right or not. Or maybe they just figured that folks are too dumb to notice. Dang it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. This is really trivial, nitpicky stuff, but I think there would also be more of a note of authenticity if every car in a street scene didn't look it was just freshly washed, waxed & detailed within an inch of it's life. My guess is many of the cars were wrangled from local car shows & clubs in a 'cattle call', SO... who's likely gonna sign-up for having their cars dirtied up some...

25. daliant

daliant

So nobody mentioned It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World yet? Plenty of realistic chase action in that one.

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and LBCD like this.
  26. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

27. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

28. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

29. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

30. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

1951 Ace in the Hole has a lot of great old cars, filmed in New Mexico most of them look fairly crusty.

mad mikey likes this.