Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock hot start problem , UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Can you still get heat soak with a tunnel ram? 302 ford starts instantly cold, hard to start after sitting 10 minutes up to 2 hours after driving. 60 degrees outside, havent driven it in summer yet. Carbs sticking out of hood. 180 degree engine temp. Had no problem with hot start with 600 holleys.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is your fuel pressure? Until you know that, you are pissing in the wind.

-Abone.

swade41, dan griffin and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. rjones35

rjones35

So you just changed carbs and started having this problem? Unless you rerouted fuel lines or something, it almost has to be the floats a little too high and getting hot and dripping.

Hollywood-East likes this.

4. I did reroute the fuel lines, got them away from the engine. I checked the floats with a 7/16 drill bit under them and they are good. Doesnt seem to be running rich reading the plugs. Guess I can try a spacer under the carbs but was hoping the air from sticking through the hood would keep them cooler then being under a hood.

rjones35 likes this.
  5. Use a carb spacer, I had the same problem on my O/T El Camino with an Edelbrock carb. A Moroso 1” thick phenolic spacer was the fix. In my case, the fuel in the float bowl was boiling after shut off. The heat from the intake was boiling the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do they change your fuel for winter like they do up here?

Truck64 likes this.
  7. Im going to guess no, we havent even got any ice yet.

8. sdluck

sdluck

Hot soak on a tunnel ram is not likely,does it have electronic ignition?

egads likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

At least your not pissing in the wind .:D

Blacktop VooDoo likes this.
  10. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

If it is still hard to start after sitting almost 2 hours I don't think heat is your problem especially with a tunnel ram, that aluminum dissipates heat pretty quickly. I never had an issue when I ran an edlebrock 4 barrel. Have you tried a non-ethanol gas ? I would look at the choke for proper operation.

jazz1 likes this.
  11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Same thing with mine, spacer did the trick.

olscrounger and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  12. I dont have a choke on either carb. It always starts and idles at first hit of starter when temps are 50 to 70 degrees.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You have some type of leak down into your intake . What type of ign . are you using ?

14. Has Mallory unilite with new modulator. I ordered insulator gaskets, should come tomorrow.

15. sdluck

sdluck

Then it is rich

16. sdluck

sdluck

Try another dist.

17. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

The Edelbrocks have small fuel bowls and are prone to having this problem. I am a bit surprised it is happening on a tunnel ram intake. Still I would start with a thick non heat conductive gasket or spacer.

18. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

or sucking in raw fuel that has puddled somewhere from leak down when when it's cool
    let us know what the insulating gaskets do for it

19. Just thinkin' out loud, but are you absolutely CERTAIN that you have good spark? I was convinced I had all sorts of vapor lock problems and after making all sorts of mods (electric fuel pump with recirculation back to the fuel tank, insulating fuel lines, phenolic spacer, checking carb bowls, choke - you name it) the problem never went away until one day I decided to check my spark when the engine was hot. Guess what, nooooo spark ..... New MSD module, all problems disappeared... One other thing, mentioned above, is that if your Edelbrock cranks right up and runs well when cold without a choke means that your idle mixtures are prolly running fairly rich. But that shouldn't make it not want to start when hot....unless you can smell gas while tryin' a hot start..........hmmmm.. Here's my "story" about what I went through to make THE JUDGE behave....

https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Fighting-Vapor-Lock/

20. Well, boys and girls, it looks like another example of someone posting for help, then we all spend time and effort to help the guy out, then we never hear anything back as to whether anything we may have suggested worked or didn't. Kinda makes me not want to make suggestions..... oh well.....................

But given that our great Texas weather has had Dallas in an ice cube lately, maybe he's just trying to stay warm rather than jacking with his car..........ahahhaha

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just going to assume that the spacers he ordered haven't arrived yet. Or he hasn't had time to put them on.
    Having had fuel boil in the fuel line on my OT truck last summer and have conditions just like that I'd take a serious look at the whole fuel line routing.

22. Havent done anything to the car, 34 degrees with 20 mph wind, Im staying inside. None of the fuel line is close to the engine, pretty sure I have spark as I didnt have problem with the Holleys. Insulators came but havent put them on due to the cold, going to do that and recheck floats when warmer. Thanks for the advise guys, Ill let you know.

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Put the Holley's back on , what possessed you to take them off ?

24. I cant tune a holley, had a bad misfire (lean ?) going from cruise to full throttle that I couldnt get rid of.

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look down the carbs after 2 or 3 minutes and check for fuel dripping from the boosters.

26. Looks like you might have to wait till July ...hahaha

27. You know Tx., it will be 100 next week.

28. After reading other posts I might have found my problem. I rerouted the fuel lines from pump to drivers fender ,back across firewall to carb. I thought getting the line away from engine would help but now I read that the firewall above trans tunnel is one of the hottest places in the engine compartment. Is this true ? If so I need to reroute my fuel lines.

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Holley has jets , power valve, shooters . Edelbrock has jets, metering rods , springs , shooters ,Hmmmmmmm.........