Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ed "Big Daddy" Roth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 10, 2019.

1. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Back in the late 60s I had a 1955 Chevy that I made into a clone of Roth's 55. Removed the front bumper, and pan below the headlights, radius the rear wheel wells, alum hood scoop, and chrome reverse wheels. The only thing missing was the orange paint. Took a color picture of the car down to the place that mixed paint and told the guy at the counter this is the color that I wanted. He told me he needed the general make and year that that color came on. So I went back home and look up Roth's shop phone number. I had to find one of his ads because the internet was not invented at that time. So I get on the phone with Ed and ask him what color "orange" is his 55 and I wanted to paint my car the same. He started laughing and told me to go to the local food mart store and pick up a tangerine, not a orange but a tangerine, and show that to the paint mixer, that's the color. Well I did that and the paint mixer still wanted to know if it was a Mopar, GM, or Ford color. So I call back Ed and after telling him who I was and that I called that morning, he started laughing and said that he was sorry because he figure someone was pulling a joke on him. After a few minutes he says that it was something he mixed up starting with a Ford color called Competition Orange. Well I got a gallon and half of lacquer (DuPont) mixed and painted my car with it. Came out pretty good after many hours of block sanding, cutting and buffing. But at the end of the day, I still don't know if I had the right color of orange, Roth's car was on the west coast and mind was on the east coast---HA HA.

rod1, catdad49, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  2. He signed this at the 50th Grand National Show at the Cow Palace. DSC09471 (Small).JPG

exterminator, GuyW, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  3. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_8784.JPG In Getting To Know He Was The King Of Cool And His Stories Were Endless
    He Was A Working Class Man And That Came Thru When He Talked To People
    It Was Amazing How Many Different Levels Of People That He Touched And
    Influenced Their Lives
    He Will Sadly Be Missed But Always Remembered Like It Was Yesterday
    My Pleasure Was To Know Him And Count Him As A Friend
    Sincerely Steve Estrin alias Hot Rod Hoodlum (for live)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. When I first heard of Ed Roth I thought he was a little nuts ( crazy that is, not right in the head). But as I learned more about him I realized he really was a genius. Eccentric, but a genius. Here’s an art piece he approved then autographed.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. theamcguy

theamcguy

He did some amazing work for sure

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Indeed. When Galpin Autosport restored the Orbitron dirty Doug and itchy Otis of all people helped with the body work.

7. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Woah that’s awesome! I’m currently building a clone of the Bob Johnston 2nd Version IMG_2684.JPG and love hearing new stories! Been one of my favorites forever.. What year was that when Roth gave that to you? Must of been after this version cause this had a chrome ball.. I know it changed a few times ended with a beer tap..

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I miss him a lot. He would take me by the hand at shows and tell me all about each car. Spent time hanging out at the Maywood shop, bugging him. Still have lots of stuff he gave me when I was a kid. Darryl and I were just talking about those days last weekend. Maybe when I retire, I'll build my bubble top tribute car, I designed when I was in High School.

9. RDR

RDR

Some Great Stories how Big Daddy touched so many peoples lives.!
    He and Barris were both at the Eugene 20th 'World of Wheels' show in 1990. A friend and I were helping Ed at his booth selling shirts and RF stuff and after the show we ended up at Dunkin Donuts around midnight. We were telling Ed about our custom /hotrod shop and trying to come up with a name for it. He was scribbling on the paper napkins with some ideas and says.."I know !" Then drew up another picture and says, "You're the 'ROD RASCALS'..! Well we did get the logo on a '70 T Bird bracket racer that we painted.. DSCF3916.JPG

10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In spite of all his wildness, that lil' T-bucket's always been my favorite.

GuyW likes this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

Still have the 1963 catalog and looking thru it is still quite the thrill. Takes my right back to my youth and in awe of the man who created all those insane creatures!

flyin-t likes this.
  12. Would have been the first version. I don't think it ever had a white ball after that. I was probably between 4 and 6 years old. So probably when he first had it on the road.

The ball he snagged from the Ol' Man was made from a piece of English Briar that he brought home from the war. I got an idea that it became a memento once Mr Roth made it home.

Funny thing a lot of our heroes, I think were roll models for me, but to me they were always just my Dad's friends.

13. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I know of lot of you guys are near my age (61), so Roth was a huge influence. And his reach went way beyond just us kids. I got to meet Ed in St. Ignace, Michigan at the car show. I was helping out at the model car contest and was told to go get Ed so he could make his "pick". Only spent a few minutes walking and talking with him from his booth to the contest, but I am so glad I have that.

14. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

Do you still have the venolia rods for sale ?

15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

16. Whoa......He's back.....

chryslerfan55, flyin-t and The37Kid like this.
  17. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

It was LA Roadster show 1992. Ed signed a shirt for me. My dad asked if he could take our picture.
    I'll never forget Big Daddy whispering in my ear, "Let's stick out our tongues." How rebellious! How exciting! A grown-up wanted me to "ruin" a picture.
    Typical Ed. This picture changed my life, and I'll never forget the sound of his voice in my ear. Resized_Trevor_%26amp%3B_Big_Daddy_Roth_1992_9862.jpeg

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rod1, trollst, VANDENPLAS and 12 others like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

40B34C01-5A5F-4BC0-9135-87492BC885A3.jpeg Me and Big Daddy in 96 when I was showing Rotar at Gsta. Yes that is angel hair on our heads....

19. Please tell me that was Roth’s idea.

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes it was his idea...

21. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I always wondered. Were the “Monster” shirts from the episode of Leave it to Beaver Ed Roth’s work? I know he used to sell monster shirts and the art work in the episode looked similar to his stuff.

22. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Answered my own question they were painted by an artist on the set according to Tony Dows website but there was a lot of rumors at the time it was Roth.

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too.
    Well...that's a lie. But I did need to take a moment before I could type this. Sometimes...often, even...this place touches me deeply. This thread went right to my heart.

I wanna say...

Danny, thanks for starting this thread a month ago today. Just saw it this morning.

And guys...this is some wonderful stuff you're sharing.

beaner...I don't know what to say. Except, thanks for sharing with us new guys. I feel honored.

Of course, I knew about Big Daddy Ed Roth and his incredible creations. But I knew almost nothing about the man himself.

I'm so glad that some of you admitted that meeting Mr. Roth wasn't what you expected. My experience was the similar.

I met Ed Roth years ago at an Autorama show here in Detroit. I was by myself. It was Sunday, getting late in the day and the crowds were thinning out. Nobody was in Ed's booth except for him. I was happy to be able to get a Rat Fink t-shirt without having to wait in line and even meet Ed without any distractions or feeling hurried. What an opportunity!

It looked like Ed was maybe starting to pack up a little, but his booth was open and he was standing there in his top-hat. There really wasn't anybody else around. It was noticeably quiet. I have to admit that I was just slightly apprehensive...lol...he's one of the only famous people I've ever met. I entered his area kinda slowly until I saw that he knew I was there. I greeted him and asked if I might be able to buy a t-shirt. He was much more subdued than I expected. No matter. As we stood there looking at his stacks of t-shirts, he simply said, "I only have XXL left." I said, "That's ok.", and I bought one and he signed it. Before leaving, I extended my hand and said "Nice to meet you, sir." Or it may have been simply, "Thank you, sir." Ed shook my hand with his large paw. Our eyes met and I smiled as we shook hands...but he didn't say anything. I knew he was probably tired. I had already decided not to take much of his time, and kinda followed his lead and left without saying anything further either.

I've sometimes thought about our encounter, and it always bothered me just a little bit, because I wasn't sure if maybe I had offended him somehow. Did I not say enough? Did I say too much? Did he maybe not appreciate me calling him "sir"? Some guys are like that...I didn't know.

But this thread has made it clear to me that this man had a very quiet and gentle-hearted side. He apparently wasn't really anything like his publicity shots would've had us think. On the contrary. Reading all you guys' stories illustrates that Ed was definitely a thinking man and had a deeply caring nature for people...especially the youngsters...and others.

So thank you everybody.
    I think I understand a little better now...and know the man just a little better...and it's affect on me was a little stronger than I would've guessed...but in a good way. I'm happy that I got to kinda feel Ed's good spirit on this blustery, cold, Sunday morning.

Have good day, everybody!
    - Rick

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is a short note he sent after I had finished restoring the Road Agent. He wanted me to tour with him on the Isca circuit in 98.... I asked and I couldn’t have the winter off work....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Moriarity ...I think I'd a quit (except for a wife, baby, and mortgage...is THAT your excuse?)

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

almost... single custodian parent (young teen daughter) and mortgage. not to mention I really couldn't afford 3-4 months off at the time

28. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect prioritizing!

fegsta, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member