Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A instrument panel on 32 Dash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nosetime, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Hey Guys. I am running a fuel tank in the trunk of my Brookville roadster. I ordered the body with smooth cowl and 32 dash. One day, it may become an AV8, but for now running i'm running the Banger. I would, of course do a dash with gauges for the V8 at that time, but for now I am considering using the original dash bezel and 30-31 Model A gauges. I don't think I have ever seen that particular setup? I have a dash bezel coming this week and will see how it might look. Any comments?

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Don’t think I’ve ever seen that combo. Would be different. Not sure the shape of the cluster would look at home on a 32 dash. I would mock it up and post pics, would be easier to judge.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

36-3window likes this.
  3. To install gauges you will have to cut the dash, as low as the Modal A gauge cluster sets any different instrument panel in the future will probably require you to rework the dash, save any metal removed. HRP

Dino 64 likes this.
  4. It just sort of popped into my head, I would like different! Agree, when I get it I will post a pic for opinions. Thanks

Dino 64 likes this.

5. Yeah ,I assumed I would be cutting, but nothing that could not be reverse down the road. Thanks

6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The Model A tank has a recess stamped into the tank to make room for the gauges. You probably are going to pad out the instrument cluster to make it fit and give the back of the gauges some room. As Dino points out, I've never seen this setup before ether.

7. No Tank, it's in the trunk so plenty of room.

8. IMO, the 32 dash and instrument cluster is way ahead of the ModelA as far as design and esthetics.
    But, with my 31 roadster, I gutted the stock tank, cut out the stock gauge recess and made an aluminum panel to mount a SW speedo and three 2-5/8" gauges. Looks like a ModelA, but sports a hotrod look.
    20190301_190120.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. Yeah, still very likely I will do the same, but that idea came up and just wondering...

10. If I were to go that route, can I use any older SW speedo with the stock Model A cable and turtle drive?

11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I understand your tank is in the trunk, but you will still need to make room for the gauges in your '32 dash. The Model A panel lies flat and the gauges protrude out the back of the panel. I can't see drilling clearance holes in a new Brookville dash if it's not going to be permanent. The Deuce dashboard lends itself to dozens of gauge set up's. I just went out to my shop and placed a '29 gauge panel on my Deuce dash and the '29 is taller. I hope the '31 panel is not as tall.

12. I appreciate that, thanks. I guess it all lies in the "permanent" idea. I have been building a car that never existed...bought a rolling chassis with worn out gear. The brookville body was a huge stretch financially and building for 2 years now, would like to drive something before I get to the end of the rainbow car! Buying another dash panel or patching would be way down the road.

13. Well, Woodie your suspicion was correct, 30-31 panel is too tall for 32 dash, so that makes that easy. Will do the 32 panel and SW gauges, thanks.

14. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i learned when building a hot rod that it ok to use later year parts.but not to go backwords and use older parts than the year of the car your building .....any truth to that ?