Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. rr64

rr64
    from Montana

Nothing to do with Cobras but did you know that before Cobras Mr. Shelby sold custom steering wheel kits through Dean Moon's catalog? Hard to read in the picture of a catalog page but bright candy colors of metal flake wheel rims were included. I have seen a candy green metal flake one for sale on ebay® before. This advertisement was in the 1962 Moon catalog.

[​IMG]

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I would suggest you get some DX86 Silver micro sequin flakes rather than the bigger flakes. Spray some test panels adding more flakes until you like what you see. That is what I did on my Roadster and I did not want it to look black at night. 27 roadster dash 002.JPG Gary

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the best single choices for the Cobra build I have made in a long time. Amazing how the small touches sometime excite me the most! Lol

20190302_075556.jpeg

20190302_075551.jpeg

20190302_075608.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks Great to me!:)

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We hit the shop this morning with paint prep on the brain. Trying to tidy up a few things before we shoot the car. I decided to start with the hood that has several issues. First up, I am not happy with the hinge mount area. Don't get me wrong I am excited they work because as you already know it has taken several shots at the finish product. While it works great I am not happy with the look. But at this point, I am not about to move anything! LOL!

hood1.jpg
    My thought is to build an aluminum cover to clean the area up? I want to be careful that it does not clutter the area up even more...when finished I want it to look like it belongs there...

Resized_20190302_091058.jpeg
    So as usual, I grab the poster board and start feeling the area out. It does not take long before I have a pretty cool idea and a pattern to match.

Resized_20190302_091806.jpeg

Resized_20190302_092058.jpeg
    We made quick work of cutting the pattern out of .040 Aluminum, broke the front and rear area and gave it a test fit.

Resized_20190302_094407.jpeg

Resized_20190302_094414.jpeg

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another issue we have with the hood is the scoop. The hole was not cut perfectly. As a result, several of the rivet holes near the rear sides have very little and some no surface under them. After quite a bit of assessment, today began with a plan to simply fiberglass the hood scoop in place (from the bottom). This would make it solid from below but on top it would still appear simply to be riveted in place the same as the originals. It would also give the few rivets with issues something to grasp.

However, after the hinge system cover was complete Dad had a killer idea. Since the cover looks so good, and it really does, the photos do not do it justice, why not lay a sheet of aluminum on the under side of the hood. I got out the poster board and we made a pattern.

Resized_20190302_095949.jpeg
    The idea quickly developed. The new hinge cover will hold the sheet in place up front. The hood scoop rivets will hold it in place in the middle and my handy dandy slip on molding pieces will hold it in place on the sides. The only area we needed to bond was just the front of the scoop (air intake area).

Resized_20190302_123251.jpeg
    After using the pattern to cut the aluminum sheet, we put it in place and marked the scoop hole from the top making up for the areas where our original hole was off. We also filled the rivets holes with fiber reinforced body filler. While the hood was sitting up, we also refilled the holes in the scoop as well.

Resized_20190302_123247.jpeg

Resized_20190302_151031.jpeg
    Dad spent some time cleaning up the scoop and leveling the bottom prepping it to be reinstalled. While he was doing that I turned my attention to hood latches.

Resized_20190302_145042.jpeg
    After carefully measuring for placement I first drilled a pilot hole confirming that we came directly through the embossed area on the bottom of the hood. Then we drilled a 3/4" hole to fit the body of the latch.

Resized_20190302_144952 (1).jpeg
    I have no idea what these little tabs were for on what ever Cobra replica they were meant for but for our application they are in the way...so I ground them off.

Resized_20190302_144938.jpeg
    When we are ready, after paint, we will pop rivet these bases in place.

Resized_20190302_145154.jpeg
    The actual latch device that came with these handles will then be put in place on the bottom of the hood and riveted to the embossed area.

Resized_20190302_180654.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After the scoop was ready I marked and re-drilled all the mounting holes. Then we laid the scoop in place and measured to make sure it was straight. We marked several of the hood holes through the scoop holes. We drilled them and then installed the scoop with rivets.

Resized_20190302_173347.jpeg
    Then one at a time we carefully drilled the rest of the holes and riveted them.

Resized_20190302_173342.jpeg

Resized_20190302_174623.jpeg
    Then we flipped the hood over to have to take a peak. I am pretty darn happy with the look. I mean just look at it. When this hood is open it will look like it is aluminum with a fiberglass scoop pop rivoted in place. I am pretty sure this is about how an original might have looked. I think we are going to leave the underside of the scoop unfinished.

Resized_20190302_175355.jpeg
    Here is a close up of what the final, finished product will like. It has the push on molding installed.

Resized_20190302_175405.jpeg We still have some body work to do filling the expansion cuts we made to assist in hood fitment but at this point I am fairly stoked about how the hood is turning out!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Those bumps are there to help keep the escutcheons from turning. They add more support than just the screws. :)

enloe and egads like this.
  9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rock and roll man...thanks @rr64 you always have the best Cobra information. I knew we were close on the color but after seeing the photo you have of the original I am extremely happy. Below the top pic is yours of the original (looks like hood scoop). Below it is photo of our last text panel with a flash on the phone to fire the metallic.

CIMG1676_-_Copy.jpg

20190304_071408 (1).jpg
    The original viking blue from the factory (according to my paint guys) had what they call small and medium flake in it. I am not sure we have the right spray nozzle at this point but I will take care of that when the time comes. But as far as the amount of flake and color, we are probably as close as we are going to get!

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Undoubtedly that is what they are for but as is par for the course with the company I got them from, there always seems to be something missing. In this case obviously some sort of base the gets mounted first (or maybe even on the under side of the hood) that has openings for the tabs and then a threaded hole for the screws. But I didn't even get any screws with these things let alone what ever the hell they screw to! LOL. But as is also par for the course, nothing that a grinder can not take care of!

chryslerfan55, enloe, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  11. rr64

rr64
    from Montana

You are welcome. CSX2019 started coming out in public about a dozen years ago when its then long term owner started preparing it for sale. Two of my friends went to see the car at different times.. I asked them to take as many pictures of as many original details they had time for. Being one of just a few unrestored Shelby team race Cobras of any flavor I was wanting to capture details before they got lost. At the time I was helping with the restoration of Steven's yellow Dragonsnake CSX2427. That particular image was taken specifically taken to capture the top side detail of a blind rivet fixing the hood scoop in place. The broken 1964 applied paint exposed that rivet enough to be worth a picture.

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the fact it is one of the most successful race cars out of the Shelby stables but it came from the wrong side of the street. Both the factory Dragonsnakes were street going models that never visited the official race shop. That's why they didn't have roll bars. Crazy...but cool!

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay here is some fun stuff. I have the Rip Chords "Hey Little Cobra" album cover on the thread a few pages back. I was doing some research today and discovered some stuff I never knew about the song. So here is your Cobra Trivia for the day...LOL

Well first off it was written by a girl! Her stage name was Carol Connors (born Annette Kleinbard). While she was in Junior High in LA her best friend was dating a guy named Phil Spector (yes the real Phil Spector). While hanging out he heard Carol sing and was completely enamored with her voice. He told her he would write a song for her and if she could come up with $10 they would record it. So he did, she did and they did etc. etc. Bottom line that song was: "To Know Him Is To Love Him!" It hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in late 1958.

As the story goes a few years later, still in high school she damaged her boy friends AC Bristol sports car. No one in LA would touch the little aluminum car but someone recommended Carol Shelby. They told her he was building a sports car out of practically the same body and might be able to fix it or offer up some parts etc. Shelby was not interested in working on the car at all. But after finding out who she was (and reportedly a big fan of her first song) he toured her of the facility. Always the publicity hound Carroll made Carol a deal. If she wrote a number one song about his little car, he would give her one!

So she did and he did etc., etc. Now just to clarify, "Hey Little Cobra" only got as high as four on the Billboards but was number one on a few other charts. It was a tough go as the same week the Rip Chords released it, the Beetles Stormed the chart with "I Want To Hold Your Hand"! Never-the-less Shelby held true to his word. Carol was not old enough to insure the car at the time so the paper work all had her Mom's name on it. Now I am trying to get to the bottom of it but the registry says she wrecked CSX 2067 in the Canyons. It says the car was totaled and then destroyed. It also says it took her nearly two years to over come her injuries. However there are other accounts that say she was in a terrible car wreck two years before she meant Shelby....SO.... Who knows. I actually emailed her yesterday to ask.

That's right she is still around. In fact later in life she wrote the theme from Rocky; "Gonna Fly Now."
    As far as car songs of the sixties she is reported as the only female to have ever written one. The very reason the Beach Boys turned the song down when Spector approached them. Quote: "A girl can not write a song about a car!" You can give Brian Wilson credit for that crack!

However years later the two crossed paths at some Hollywood function. Wilson mention "Hey Little Cobra" and said, "Everyone knew a girl wrote it because you would never take a car out of gear and let it coast to the line!" Reportedly Carol responded, "Well apparently you have never been in a really fast car and that far ahead"! ....and she simply walked away!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    slv63, rustednutz, Thor1 and 13 others like this.
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

COOL COOL COOL!!!:D:D:D

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Agreed!

16. And, here she is..........
    wqaqw.JPG

rustednutz, Thor1, Offset and 7 others like this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at that body! Holy Mackerel boys! Absolutely gorgeous! Can you imagine...back then she had to have every guy on the planet running around with their tongues hanging out. You know it man! Oh...and that girl standing there actually owns her! LMAO!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  18. RodStRace

RodStRace

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20190309_092603.jpeg

And now the struggle between my OCD: wanting things as close to perfect as possible and my absolute hatred of body work begin to fight...hard! LMAO!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    loudbang, enloe, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank goodness the dash is going to get a light padding on it because after turning my tach into a dash mount unit the aftermath is ugly...lol

20190309_133102.jpeg

loudbang, enloe, Peanut 1959 and 2 others like this.
  21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Finally. Thank goodness you have been exposed as human. I could do that modification. LoL

Really can't wait to see this finished.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    loudbang, Sancho and Deuced Up! like this.
  22. dartracer

dartracer

Need to find you one of these. 1956Fiattransporter_01_1500.jpg

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that is an interesting photo James. I have never seen it. I can not attribute any of the 5 factory cars to this unit so I would say that is a guy that had a Cobra and did it on his own. Not sure what class that is on the rear tires? ds/d
    Looks like the name on the roof is Roy Campbell. I will do some checking. How about those rear rims?

Sancho, enloe, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  25. You're reading it upside down. :rolleyes:
    Sp for sports car. The baby of drag racing, sports cars entered NHRA national competition in 1956. The Sp must carry full equipment for legal street driving, and the engine must remain in its original location. Sp cars run in five classes, based upon the engine displacement [A/Sp, B/Sp, etc.].

o.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm not sure the history of that specific car, but Roy Cambell's name revolved around sports car racing quite a bit in that era. Maybe the same person?

http://www.registryofcorvetteracecars.com/ee/index.php/site/view_cars/1165

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-picture-thread.545759/page-134#post-12940041

Maybe the car belonged to Fred Sutherland?

http://www.racingsportscars.com/CarResults.aspx?driver=Fred-Sutherland-USA

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice going there @choffman41 make me look like an idiot. LMAO. I never even thought about rolling the stupid tire on around...that is hilarious! Good work.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Sancho like this.
  28. rr64

rr64
    from Montana

Probably not. I did research and parts chasing for all the Cobras except the SC. When I say parts they had to be correct and perfect or could be restored to perfect. The amount of time and money put into every part down to little rubber tips on bonnet prop rods was beyond what most people could imagine. I came up with 1964 ex-Shelby race shop 4-2V Weber carburetor systems for the yellow and red cars and I am telling you that 1964 versions of most small parts are very rare. Steven, Dave Riley, and myself chased parts and materials (like new old stock carpet Steven went to England to hunt down and send back) for years. It took ten years and more to find some parts. Dave Riley was the engine behind the hands on work and attention to detail was Pebble Beach quality with more attention to originality.

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

slv63, enloe, Deuced Up! and 2 others like this.