Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Recommend a transportation company in Canada to ship a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Mar 1, 2019.

1. hey all
    Found a car across the country that I need !! Lol

Anyone recommend a shipping company ?
    I’ve seen rail service, and transport truck.
    Lots of companies on the old google to pick from I’m just wondering who’s used who and can recommend a company as opposed to shooting in the dark.

The car would be going from Prince Edward Island to Hamilton Ontario Canada

Thanks .

02DBB926-E3C8-46F5-9C86-D09A44E46C42.jpeg

2. TFX or Oakwood both have experience with high end vehicles and offer enclosed service throughout Canada.
    TFX is out of Barrie I believe and Oakwood out of Ingersoll

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

You sure you want a car from PEI,we have a lot of rust here:D.Try day and ross, they have a car hauling section,cant remember the name of it,last time i looked it was 1000.00 for a car from toronto to PEI,or call Adesa the car auction company and see if they can give you a name of a hauler. Harvey

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. The car looks clean in the add
    Going to call the guy today for some more pics and info
    Never bought a car “ sight inseen’ Before

5. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

wheres it at,i might know the car,PEI is a small place.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Maybe ask 37 caddy to put an eye on it.

jazz1 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many years ago I used Mackie Transport, especially when Canada was involved. They were prompt, friendly, and their pricing was VERY user friendly. Sometimes quality service trumps price by quite a measure. As I recall they were based in Canada. For that level and distance I now use Passport almost exclusively, but I don't know if they're available in Canada.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Just had a car shipped from Mississauga to Halifax 2 weeks ago The buyer made the arrangments.
    Used Thorsons out of Rexdale .1250.00 taxes in .All went smoothly .
    Also my cousin Dave lives in PEI , I would trust his judgment on a car , I could ask him to have a look
    Joe

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  9. Also that was door to door service .
    Picked up in my driveway and dropped off in his driveway .

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  10. 021A3ECA-DCF3-4A48-9450-ACD99D1EC7DB.jpeg A742BE16-1F33-4818-A6A1-ACF969DCD12A.jpeg BE869DDA-07AF-44CC-920E-DA6DEA717484.jpeg 82DACA92-5476-4AFA-B5C6-CE95D0FD4F85.jpeg DCD77554-A286-4ECC-92EA-65DD18AE7E1A.jpeg BA713534-6C6E-4C26-B7C4-067ECE719062.jpeg 3156FF3B-418C-4A61-8D20-41F2F307CAFB.jpeg 417829FE-D9F4-48F0-9B15-9338F0BFBBD1.jpeg 648BF8D8-3692-49E5-BA72-202FFD52534A.jpeg 7F8A24F3-2375-49B1-9EB6-CA79DEECDEF8.jpeg AADC7B80-897E-4D3E-BF2B-4DB77899490A.jpeg 0A529BF8-9449-4035-B3ED-6C7644FC3B53.jpeg 1D4EF3F9-F187-4DED-8BD4-93BC5E448E85.jpeg

Just spoke. With the guy
    Seems like a straight up guy, like most east coasters are.
    1000 bucks for shipping
    I’m gonna stew on it tonight
    It’s got a 302 with a c4
    Clean , straight, good floor and frame, clean interior and a solid driver.
    Just what I’m looking for....... gonna stop by the bank and see payment options.
    Never bought a car like this before hmmmmmm.....

Stogy likes this.
  11. There is a small bit of bubbling in the front quarters
    And the brakes grab a bit

Brakes are of no real concern
    And I’m guessing the rust is from maybe a humid storage area
    No rust or bondo old paint job

Stogy likes this.
  12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Is a small block Mercury a Canadian thing? '64, very nice.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I would have him send you pics of the bottom of the doors. I do not like what I see in the door open pic you have here. also looks like quite a bit of bubbling to me. Keep in mind that internet pics can and do make a mediocre car look good. Do yourself a favor and have someone on here go and look at it for you... good luck

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. The engine and trans where changed some time ago with a 302 and a c4 out of an older mustsng

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just being a convertible makes it suspect.

Moriarity likes this.
  16. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I saw it advertised also, had serious consideration til I saw the minor rust bubbles. That usually mean serious holes, I had to pass. Larry

17. 2935ford

2935ford

Try Mikes Transport out of Nova Scotia. I have used them several times. Good service and was reasonably priced.
    Cars were shipped from New Brunswick to Ontario. Being PEI someone is going to have to pay for the bridge fee!

But......make sure you have a good car first!

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Bugger, I thought it was going to be a Dodge! And when you wrote you were getting it shipped across the country i was expecting something from BC, Alberta, or Saskatchewan at least. PEI to Hamilton is just a mild cruise!!! Great pic of the ratchets by the way....

Texas Webb and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to go with what Moriarity said about taking a serious look at the bottoms of the doors. There are a lot of bubbles down low on that door. white merc door_LI.jpg

Moriarity likes this.
  20. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Thorsons is also great for Canadian shipping as well as bringing cars into the US front Canada. Not cheap, but really good. I have used them quite a bit with great results.
    https://www.thorsonsevt.com/

Stogy likes this.
  21. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

The bottom of that door does not look original,looks to be a bunch of mud in it,I dont know the car,but i would be very nervous of it,would want to see the frame and trunk floor,paint looks ok,but who knows whats under it.It is a perfect car to have someone look over,be the best money you ever spent.It is advertised as a car an older person has and the family is selling it for them,price isnt all that bad,would be a car just to enjoy the way it is,would be too much money to restore.Good Luck let us know how it turns out. Harvey

Moriarity likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

36C5F4CC-6D2B-4518-97A1-E40C64D7F0D3.jpeg Yup, that’s full of mud

24. Yeah for the price I’m sure it’s not perfect
    I just don’t want a rotted bondoed shitter.
    Calling the guy later today to get some more info.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A good friend of mine found a 64 ford galaxie convert on ebay about ten years ago. the car looked good in the pics and the buy it now price seemed just a little too cheap. He got the guys phone number and called him. The guy seemed like a strait shooter and my buddy asked him all the right questions about previous rust repairs etc. He was satisfied with the answers and pulled the trigger. A few weeks went by and the shipper dropped off the car.... Oh my god what a piece of crap. Cardboard stuffed and bondoed body... a real rust bucket. not to mention the duct taped rust holes in the frame covered in rattle can undercoating. And a worn out 7 cylinder 302 under the hood. When he called the guy back he was told to go screw himself and he should have come to look at it..... SEND SOMEONE TO LOOK AT THE CAR!!!!!!!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. :eek: Will you stop yelling....... geez ...... you sound like my dad!!!! Lol!

I’m calling the guy to get more info and pics
    I’ve sent a few PMs to pei guys to see if they are close by and can put an eye ball on it.

I have never bought a car like this before, I know a few guys who have sold like this
    My buddy just sold a 64 Lincoln to Europe sight unseen just off pics and a video, but Moriarty your right....... not everyone is a straight shooter.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a huge quantity of bondo along with questionable repair materials like galvanized metal, rivets and window screen.:eek:

I’ve heard stories about east coast guys making their living patching up rusty cars getting them looking good enough to pass inspections by any means necessary.

I’d never even consider an eastern car unless it had a carefully documented full restoration.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. Come on Guys, Just a small Island surround by salt water ,how bad could it really be !!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. X-cpe

X-cpe

If I see "new paint, no rust" I run and hide! I know what I have hidden to get a beater through inspection for myself. At least the old paint here will hide less.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  30. A great guy from pei found me and said he’ll put an eyeball on it tomorrow for me !!

The HAMB is a place for gentlemen to spend time and help each other!

More then one person offered to help from over a 1000 km away.

Let’s see what he sees tomorrow.

The price is right, the car looks decent,
    I can deal with a little filler in the rockers and not perfect paint and interior.
    I just want a good driver
    With out the floors and frame etc held together with booger welds and cost hanger.

The owner of the car had no issue with some one coming to look at it, so fingers crossed it all works out.

Thanks all for the advise, help and what to do buying a car sight unseen.