Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar flathead 6 motors- whats to be expected

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Modeljunkie, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Any Dodge truck, van and even the Volares and Aspens, 1974-86, truck trans are longer and have a cast iron tail shaft in many if not all cases.
    Get the shifter which is a hurst if you can...

whtbaron likes this.
  2. gschwen

gschwen
    from Hemet

What pistons would you use for a performance 230?

3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

How about Venolias?
    Here contact Hitek on this forum, Tim can suggest a few options on piston choices...

4. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Did you buy the adapter or make your own? Are you using the truck's bellhousing, or switch to one from a car? Did you make any changes to the input shaft or pilot bearing? lol... am I asking enough questions??

5. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Go on P15 d24 and look into Tim Kingsbury blog, all the answers to your questions are there......

6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not sure why everybody is in such a rush for overdrive with these engines. They make torque at around 2200rpm and are pretty doggy under that. Set your rear end gears correctly and run a close ratio fourspeed would be more fun and less work for the little engine.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  7. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

If I go with the taller tires on the speedster than you would typically see in car/pickup projects, then I will likely have to look at a fairly low rear end ratio which will limit the benefit of the overdrive, but effectively give me a close ratio 5 speed rather than 4. I currently have a truck transmission on the motor that is a 4 speed, but the granny low has produced less than spectacular performance in the past. I understand what you are saying though, as even the early 50's overdrives came from the factory with lower ratio rear ends than the 3 speed manuals. Hopefully I can keep the weight down and avoid some of that dogginess.

8. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

this is from the Alpar site about the 1952 model year Dodges and Plymouths...... the little 218/3 speed cars were equipped with 3.9 gears in sedans unless they got the overdrive, in which case depending on model it could go from 4.1 to 4.78's.

"Standard tire size on the Suburban and Savoy station wagons was changed to 6.70x15in and the rear axle ratio to 3.9 like the full-size Cambridge and Cranbrook models, The Concord continued to use 6.40x15in tires and a 3.73 axle ratio. When equipped with overdrive, rear-end ratios were changed on all models: to 4.1 on the Concord coupe and two door, and 4.3 on all Cambridge, Cranbrook, Suburbans, and Savoys. The Suburbans, when equipped with the 18in high clearance wheels, received a 4.78 ratio."

mikeyyeah likes this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Look at the online calculators.
    With 3.5:1 rear and 7.00-16 tires I think I am just about right.

10. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Again, it's going to depend on whether you are running a tired 218 or a built 265, and whether it's going in a sleek little speedster, or a truck with all aerodynamics of a pregnant shoebox. Gear spreads within the tranny are going to make a big difference as well. I just don't see the truck tranny with the big jump between 1st and 2nd ever getting into ideal territory regardless of the rear ratio. If I'm going the expense of adapters, new tranny etc. , it may as well have 5 gears as 4, I'll just have to cut the rearend back until I have the equivalent of a .8 overdrive with the tall ( thinking maybe 20" wheels... not sure until I research what wire wheels and tires are readily available) tires.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Flat Six Fix likes this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My point was merely that the overdrive won't help you. And the T5 is not a great choice. A t10 or Muncie might be a better fit and better geared.

A buddy put a T5 in an A pick up because all the experts told him it would be great. He go tired of it fast and shifts it 1-3-5

12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I agree, they are doggy under 2000 rpm for sure, add wind and hills well you know the answer. Mine still has a 4spd, but from a truck, so useless 1st gear, and 3.23 gears, nice up at speed, but go below the powerband and not so much fun.
    The 4spd non overdrive A833, but pricey as hell too. I have not much use for T5s, in my gameplan...

13. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

So, you seem to have come to the same conclusion as I have for the truck tranny.... it needs 3.11 gears when you are in first, but 3.90's in the other gears.

14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Heres what can be expected on the extreme of Chrysler flathead 6 Hi Performance, enjoy....

mikeyyeah and whtbaron like this.
  15. 73RR

73RR

If a 5-spd is an option for your roadster then consider using the AX15 (or even the Getrag 236 6-spd). In a roadster build you are not bound to the stock engine mounting system so new rear mounts will be made to order anyway.
    For those not familiar with the AX15, they are a favorite with the Jeep/rock crawler crowd...yeah, they are tough.
    Some adaption details on my web site and trans details everywhere on the web.

mikeyyeah and whtbaron like this.
  16. murfman

murfman

I have to disagree, I have WC T-5 from a 89 Mustang and a 4.10 rear gear. The ratios are near perfect for my 218. 2500 RPM at 70 MPH and nice even gear splits along the way. I too shift 1-3-5 when rolling along in traffic just because the 6 is torquey enough to skip gears. I do the same in my Cummins 6 Speed, 2-4-6. But when driving in a “Spirited” fashion I use all the gears.

whtbaron and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  17. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

What size tires are you running with that combo?

18. murfman

murfman

It's 27" tall

whtbaron likes this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Exactly!
    3.50 gears and a four speed would mean less shifting and a stronger trans. The overdrive is just a crutch.

20. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

In my case flat land a healthy 265 and 3.23 gears are fine.
    Overdrive would be useless unless I had 3.73s.
    Tighter gear ratios might have merit.
    Some guys are fine chugging along in overdrive.
    I dont like T5s from old S 10s but lots love them.
    At any rate i respect you built your truck with a Chrysler flathead6.

21. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Well I have been looking for almost 3 years for an OD trans for my '59 Dodge with a flathead. I got a text from a friend in the military telling me about one. I made a call and found out this person had 2 of these transmission. 1 in a '58 Plymouth wagon and the other in a '57 Plymouth 2dr wagon. I bought both and other parts from these cars. I also bought the 410 rear end from the '57 wagon because it was a flathead six engine. My understanding by the Plymouth Service manual is that the flathead 6 with OD only came with the 410 rear. The V-8 OD trans cars came with a higher gear ratio. I got the carb relays and OD handles and some of the wiring. I think I can take the Demon with the Flattie with an OD. lol

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      180.6 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      131.3 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      129.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  22. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Having used an overdrive in a couple of my old MoPars I found them to be the best improvement overall for performance. Particularly when set up with a toggle switch to manually engage the o/d.

23. hkestes

hkestes

I will second that the OD in my 48 Plymouth was the best upgrade I made followed closely by the disc brake upgrade.

24. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I was wondering about the switch connected to the carb to help activate the OD. I still want to use the OD cable handle. Are you saying use a toggle switch in place of the switch located on the carb???

25. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The toggle switch is used instead of the kick down switch. It is used to actuate the relay which supplys power to the overdrive engagement solenoid. As it is a bypass of the “automatic” kick down, the operator has to pay attention that the toggle switch is not engaged when stopped as the trans will not go into reverse while the solenoid is engaged. The cable portion is necessary for the mechanical engagement.

I found that 2nd gear overdrive was a very useful gear. I ran the overdrive in my ‘53 Dodge panel for about 10 years and about 15 in a ‘46 Plymouth sedan.

I would imagine a 5 speed of some sort would be just as useful as a good gear spread is what the limited rpm range of the 6cyl needs.

26. hkestes

hkestes

I took the kickdown switch that is normally mounted to the carb and mounted it on the lower lip of my dash below where the starter button is. Didn't make a lot of sense to me that you should have to basically floor it to get it to drop out of OD. When I wanted it out of OD I would just reach down and push the button on the switch and it would come out of OD. That way I didn't have to worry about forgetting to flip a toggle switch one way or the other when stopping. It did't allow the second gear OD like mentioned by oldwood, but I didn't really miss it.

27. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

So I'll forget about mounting the switch to the carb. 1959 Dodge didn't offer an OD trans to the V-8 or Flathead six cars. Plymouth did offer OD in '59 Plymouth even though I've only seen OD transmissions in '57,'58 Plymouths. These '57-'59 OD transmissions are very hard to find. I was lucky to find 2 at one location and to find the handles is rare. My disc and PP are being rebuilt. Now I need to find Flathead engine parts for this 42k mile engine. I might as well ring it and R and R bearings and install a new oil pump. Any info on these needed parts???? EBAY doesn't list much. Thanks guys.

28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just at the end of the parts ordering stage for my 230 rebuild. I used Vintage Power Wagons in Fairfield, IA. www.vintagepowerwagons.com They have a great online catalog and are a wealth of technical information.

They cater to the old power wagon crowd but a 218-230 is still a 218-230. They might have a snorkel outfit that you could adapt to your Dodge.

Ask for Eric 888-695-0578

29. KenC

KenC

I'm also shopping for 230 parts. Ebay does have a lot of stuff especially in standard sizes. Not so much in .010 bearings and .040 rings. Still looking for a deal, no hurry.

They are available, but from new stock with not so good prices. NOS is mostly standard. And a lot of 30-40 under rods/mains, as well as 60 pistons.

30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have a bunch of 230 bearings. .060 resizable