Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical th400 or th475

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robz27, Jan 13, 2016.

1. dang
    and I wanted this type of trans when built my bus
    would have made the e-brake set up easier
    do tail shafts interchange between a th400 and th475

2. FireBurb

FireBurb

or if i just change the tail housing and then use the yoke from dennys would that work?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I never saw the roller bearing in any I had. As BJR said, you'll need a bushing instead. Not sure if you can just change to tail, and still use the bolt on output. I would want to eyeball that all up with the yoke(s) you've got.
    You could always change the output shaft and tail housing to parts from a std. 400. This way , you'll get a peek at the internals, too.
    I seem to remember older Chrysler powered M/H's with no park. Whether or not it had those items inside the T/F, I don't know.

4. Good discussion here about the T400 . I am looking at one of these with flange out of a Silverado.
    Did this version have the straight cut gears?
    Also,are their external serial numbers on the box that can tell you this?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may be looking at a 4x4 TH400, not a TH475.

As far as I know, the TH475 was never used in anything as small as a pickup.

TH400, with no tail cone, or adapter:
    [​IMG]
    TH400(and 4L80E) common output shaft stick-outs:
    [​IMG]
    Either a TH400 or a TH475 will have the 6-bolt hex pattern on the main case.

A 2WD TH400 setup will have a cone, like this:
    [​IMG]
    The TH475 will have this adapter:
    [​IMG]
    A 4x4 TH400 will have a different adapter, and those vary, depending on the transfer case:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If it has no tail cone, or adapter, a long tail shaft is 2WD. A short one is 4x4.

6. squirrel

squirrel

There should be a metal tag riveted to the side of the case, with some possibly useful info, including the year and model of transmission. You might be able to look up the two letter code somewhere...maybe...

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IF you can still read it, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It will be here:
    [​IMG]
    Don't be surprised if it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

8. Rick Roxx

Rick Roxx

Well I have been looking for a TH475 and just picked one up this past weekend. I plan to remove the trans brake assembly and see if another bolt on yoke I have from another '80's TH400 transmission I had will fit ball bearing trans brake tailshaft - I'll post an update when I find out what happens. On a sidebar, I carefully cleaned the TH475 ID tag and found it to have a FKA code, I had picked up another transmission a couple of weeks earlier and found out it has the same FKA code (I may now have 2 TH475's)