Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I need help, I have access to four model t frames, some with axles, rear ends, springs, some wheels. They are all trailers. Do they have any value? Will they sell? Quickly? What is stuff like that worth? I know this is vague and not a popular thing to do, but I need some quick answers. Got either make the deal or walk away.

Bones

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have too many, so last year i hauled a really clean one out of the nebraska sand hills down to the chickasha swap meet. no pits, nice frame, smooth light brown western rust. i went from 100, to 50 because nobody even looked at it, and in the final moment of packing up don lange (lange's t parts) offered 10 bucks. i sold it. if you have a very early one with the rear cross member flush with the rails, no body mount sticking out the side, 13 on back, they are worth a lot. up to a grand. the rest not so good. the rails do make nice small trailer frames though!

dana barlow and stillrunners like this.
  3. scotts52

scotts52

I've often wondered if you could weld one right on top of the other and then boxed it. It'd be a little bit deep but it seems like it would be stout enough to use. ?? With a slight channel job nobody would know. I could be completely wrong. Just a thought.

patmanta and raven like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

Unless they are really cheap or really mint, walk.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been happy to get $10 for some too. The Model T guys are dying. I rarely see a Model T at Pate

6. A Boner

A Boner

Sounds like some young kid should think about piecing together a T.
    $10 isn't cheap, it's basically free!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    patmanta likes this.
  7. Those frame rails are pretty narrow. I've used a TT frame and that's stout. Making a box using two rails sounds a good way to go.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. But slip one inside the other rather than stacking them....

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. David Chandler

David Chandler

Blackjack has the right idea. Then fill in the unused holes. And put in stout crossmembers too. They liked to twist with the original crossmembers. I have one. Used the front crossmember for headlight/shock mounts. The rear one I used to make a Hurst type engine mount. I still have the rails. I'd double them like Blackjack said, if I was going to use them.

10. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Build a bunch of speedsters
    2017.jpg

Attached Files:

jimgoetz likes this.
  11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Boneyard, If you were closer I'd take them all. Not all T guys are dead. You'll still see some young kids building T speedsters

jimgoetz and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That always seem to be the way it is.....anything you want is alway on the other side of the nation! It’s like these frames and parts are a four hour drive from me. He’s supposed to send me some pics of some body parts he has laying around, but so far all I’ve got is pics of the frames. But he’s talking way more than you guys are indicating they are worth.... at $10 a frame he would be better off scrapping them or close anyway.

Bones

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think they would bring 10.00 at current scrap prices here. I have two sets of rails that were part of rather crude trailers that were down at my mom's sidekick's place before he sold it. Boxed they would make nice T bucket frame rails as they are plenty thick.
    My tear drop trailer frame is made using Model T rails for all the frame work and I think that includes the cross pieces. I haven't done anything with it yet except haul stuff on it but it tows great and has wide 5 ford wheels and caps on it.
    20 years ago I bought a Model TT truck cab an frame at an auction where I raised my hand for the 10.00 starting bid and no one bid against me and everyone had a good laugh except me That was the heaviest damned frame I ever drug around and I cut it up because the truck had been in a bad wreck and was pretty well bent.

14. rusty valley

rusty valley

some of the old racers used the TT truck frame. i have some rails in the shop that were going to be this winters project, a teardrop trailer, but i bought a real one instead. 1947 modernistic IMG_1292.JPG

15. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Boneyard, what sort of numbers is he talking?

16. dwollam

dwollam

I think $50 is about all a good T frame brings. I have also given them away to friends.

Dave

17. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Any of you guys have a good T rear spring you'd part with? Shipping is probably the hard part though. I've got a good A spring. Wonder about re-arcing it down to a T profile? Maybe I just need to get a paper template of a T spring? Think that'd work?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  18. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

check www.mtfca.com

19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think it would be better to take new stock 2X3/2X4 3/16 steel box and make your own frame. You know what some will say, "start with junk...end with junk, unless you add a boatload of cash".