Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OLD GAS TANK, big dent.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pecker head, Feb 23, 2019.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

TANK YOU EVERYBODY,YOU'VE BEEN A BEAUTIFUL AUDIENCE....................

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ether I think. Any spray that lands on the outside of the tire will flame off after the bead sets. If the wheel is on the ground outside it's no big deal. Best to get all the spray inside the bead.

alanp561 and czuch like this.
  3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

You spray too much into the tire all around the rim, then run a line twards the tread end of the tire.
    Light the "fuse" and stand back.
    "Closed course, professional driver. Do not try this at home".

alanp561, Hollywood-East and blowby like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I use the propane torch at arms length looking the other way. :eek:

Growing up around junkyards I'm used to standing under a car on a fork lift with a cutting torch, or standing 4 cars up pulling some heads. Hot rods built out of salvaged parts, which even in this day and age of one click purchasing I still prefer, though it is convenient waiting for the mailman..

I guess some never made it out alive..:(

clem, czuch and pecker head like this.
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I wrote about this on another thread a few months back, but around 3 1/2 years ago, I crashed my pickup, and knocked one of the tires off the rim, as well as knocking myself in the noggin. I decided to air that tire up a few days later, and after a couple attempts, broke out the ether. Filled er up, hit it with a lighter and whump, it was back on the bead. And it started a small grass fire, in Wyoming, on a typical hurricane force windy afternoon. Thinking quickly, I think, I dashed to the house to get some water to put it out. While I was doing that, the fire melted the air hose, adding a little more wind to the fire. I got the fire out, and looked back at my tire, which had cooled off and demounted itself since I had the valve core in the stem. Went in and watched TV the rest of the day :)

ffr1222k, Nostrebor, clem and 8 others like this.
  6. ricko1966

ricko1966

When I said I had done this many times using a dent puller and a torch I wasn't kidding.imagining or theorizing. I've actually done it. the reason things could go wrong by using water to make things torch proof is the water will displace the fumes to anywhere they may get trapped which if your welding a hole shut is right where the fumes are going to be. The reason a running car and a garden hose works is the exhaust fumes have already burned most of the oxygen and again no oxygen no combustion. I like my unispotter best. And Mark did absolutlely no prep nor did he take any precautions when he blew up the drum in the shiop he just wasn;t thinking.

czuch likes this.
  7. ricko1966

ricko1966

I set one on fire once, not my fault, but we put it out pretty easy was mounting a big, sand car tire on a really wide rim asked my buddy Paul do you have any starting fluid he said sure I gave it a healthy squirt and threw a match no boom no tire seated jut burning rubber. I looked at the can and said Paul this is bleaping carb cleaner he said same difference. Some carb cleaners maybe all of them I know different.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. pecker head

pecker head

Update: I took Pist-n-Broke advice and put some air to it, and hammered on the creases . I got most of it out, enuff that I can put it up in the front of bed and forget about it. Thanks to all that replied. 61C4A811-88EC-4A93-ABD0-54BC83C41735.jpeg 1E9DF78A-5214-4C14-9919-87C886508F88.jpeg 8B47D86D-BB13-432E-8843-F439244EB1A1.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Pist-n-Broke, alanp561, clem and 8 others like this.
  9. ricko1966

ricko1966

Awesome, thanks for the update.

pecker head likes this.
  10. pecker head

pecker head

It went from 1/2 gallon dent to a 1/2 of cup dent.

alanp561, Okie Pete and czuch like this.
  11. Pull the cap and pipe out and go at it with a curved piece of bar stock and a hammer, the opening is right across from the dent.

loudbang and pecker head like this.
  12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

That was a long strange trip.

clem, egads, moparjimd60 and 2 others like this.
  13. Never woulda thought when I sold that tank to you that it would turn into a 103 post five day discussion. Hope the tank works out OK for you. Glad you got most of the dent out without blowing up all of Corsicana.
    amodel25

14. pecker head

pecker head

Its the most popular thread I ever started. You should follow PECKS RPU PROJECT

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i tried seating a bead with starting fluid from tractor supply. that stuff sucks, all it would do was burn. got real starting fluid and seated the tire.

16. pecker head

pecker head

9E0D7AF1-526A-43E5-8F4E-0D2A9E1BC883.jpeg 1DD7C431-1D83-4EC3-B3B5-B02A13854CA2.jpeg Made some saddle mounts.

Okie Pete and rockable like this.
  17. Glad to know that worked out for ya. The more ya do of it the better ya get at it.

Okie Pete and pecker head like this.
  18. Dyce

Dyce

Happy ending to an interesting thread. How do you plan on venting the tank? Just curious

19. Small hole drilled in the cap will vent it fine.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dyce likes this.
  20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ether. I'm pretty sure I used too much on the trail I laid going up to the tire and, there might have been a little too much sprayed around the tire and, the grass might have been a little too tall and too dry and, the trailer wood was very dry and, it was a long run to the closest water and an even longer run back. Can you see the picture now?

czuch and s55mercury66 like this.
  21. Moselli

Moselli

l placed a wanted advertisement for a dented gas tank on social media today so I can use all of the knowledge garnered in this thread. Nothing so far.

Wish me luck.....

egads, pecker head, Glenn S and 3 others like this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Tire shops around here used to have signs "We do not fix tires that have propane in them" Farmers that had propane powered tractor would inflate tires with propane.

alanp561 likes this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More than happy to send you one, just pay shipping:)

Moselli likes this.
  24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Did this ever reach five (5) pages?

pecker head likes this.
  25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking fuel Tank . Thanks for the update .

pecker head likes this.
  26. clem

clem

I’m sure it will,
    It’s not dead yet.

pecker head likes this.
  27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just a few more posts and it'll be there

pecker head likes this.
  28. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Hi guys,if it has'nt been said yet ,the tank is from a old speed boat,the early ones used a graduated :stick: to measure the gas,I have a very similar one in a Century speed boat from the late 30's. The cap is the giveaway.Ken

29. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I think I can see the picture now. But I don't see how being careless and/ or stupid with an explosive fluid, ignited in an uncontrolled fashion, and obtaining fairly predictable, disastrous results, is applicable to welding on an intelligently purged gas tank. Pardon my inability to make this extrapolation.

30. scotts52

scotts52

Pushing it closer to page 5

s55mercury66 and pecker head like this.