Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. madmike3434

madmike3434

the 1933 Chevrolet master fender is exactly the same looking as 1933----35 standard series, except its 4-5" longer. I know , I accidently bought the same fender 2 times. It was NOS and ended up in Troy Ohio I believe. That was one gorgeous fender.

I guess if you trim up a 34 master the shape might look like a standard. ?

mike lynch madmike3434

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Been on hold seems like on my 30 coupe but did get seat redone and working on steering column and some odds and ends when I have time

Attached Files:

3. madmike3434

madmike3434

That's an original seat ?? , damn looks comfy .

mike lynch

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

My thoughts exactly. The stock 34 Master fenders extend down over the rear tires too far. They just look too fat.

The plan for my 34 Master, (the primer grey coupe with the cheater slicks), is for an early 1960's, era-correct drag car. Many of the drag cars of this era had the slicks extending out past the fender lip. Mine will be this way, too. The Pontiac rear axel, and chrome reverse wheels were all measured out for this. Just haven't gotten the fenders radiused, yet.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's a couple more early Chevy drag cars. Just guessing, but the 4 door sedan probably still has it's "street tires" on it. They're WAAAYYY too skinny for the engine and class that it's running.

34 Chevy Gasser w. Radiused Fenders.jpg 1933 Chevy Gasser.jpg

6. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Yea liked the look of it and decided to get it reupholstered was a mess inside with mice nests

Attached Files:

7. madmike3434

madmike3434

okay, whats going on here. There was a post from ROARARODS ? Showing a stubby power steering column and a side view of a 34 chev roadster with vintage style rocket wheels in rear fender well.

Now its disappeared, but the sequence number of the posts is intact.

SOOOOOOOOOO
    why are the posts being removed . Is somebody complaining about ???

mike lynch madmike3434

8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Perhaps it's because stubby power steering columns and 20 " wheels are not Traditional Hot Rodding? Neither of these were available before 1965, which is what this message board is all about.

Moriarity and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. madmike3434

madmike3434

His post said he had 17" wheels on the rear , not 20" as you state.
    The stubby steering column picture , I found interesting because I had not seen one before .
    So torkwrench are U the moderator of this bowties section ????

mike lynch

10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

No, I am not the moderator of this section, or any other section. If I was, it would state that, under my user name. In addition, the "Traditional" vs. "Non-Traditional" has already been covered, in this thread, (as well as being permanently posted at the top of each section of The HAMB). Because of this, it should be fairly easy to tell what is "Traditional", and relevant to this message board.

Just because something is interesting, does not mean that it automatically belongs on this message board. For example, I own an 84 Chevy S-10. My plan for it, is to replace the current 2.8 V6 with a Power Pack 283, Muncie 4 speed, and 57 Chevy rear axel. The engine, trans, and rear axel are Traditional, but the vehicle is not, so I don't post anything about it on this board.

Other examples would be posting Corvettes on a Mustang board, early Chevys on Ford Barn, or FE Fords on a 348 / 409 Chevy board.

Quite often, if too many O.T. posts are made on a thread, the thread is shut down.

11. In my eyes the moderators are pretty lenient for what we talk about and show on this thread ( Thanks ) and kinda just let us be !!!!
    I wouldnt push it , or one day, the whole thread may just dissapear .

Torkwrench likes this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mike said:
    "Droopy door handles will get fixed this spring with new ones from a 1930 ford 2 door touring, interesting they ( Chevrolet open cars ) have ford parts. I already have them so when I install the new ones will take apart the original and see what color the spring is inside and see if I can find them as spares."
    Mike, How far back did Chevy and Ford open cars use the same hardware and how extensive was it?

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This crap keeps coming up and I agree with the basic premise but "traditional" and "period correct" are not the same thing. Traditional is: Use what you can find or build to make your car fit your goals better. Period correct is: Limit yourself to what others did in some arbitrary time frame to make your car like the most popular builds of that time. Both are valid to the builders but the latter group thinks their builds fill both niches and the first group seems not to understand that the second group exists. It's Ryan's site and he makes the rules but some seem to get a bit more latitude. This thread has gotten more lenient treatment. Maybe it's because there is not a lot of Chevy content here or maybe because no one really cares about us. For what ever reason we should lay low and just share our Chevy stuff.
    By the way in the 20s there were years when Chevrolet out sold Ford and sometimes Essex out sold them both. Fords survived probably because of more steel and less wood in the bodies. Chevy and Olds OHV heads were used on Ford T & A engines to help them compete and many Essex frames were used in all sorts of race cars because they were superior to others. Even Isky's T uses an Essex frame.
    A lot of what Mad Mike puts under his cars doesn't fit the time lines but his craftsmanship especially when it comes to Chevy wood and his knowledge of Chevy years/models identification is germane to these discussions. Let it go. If you don't want to read something, skip it. Nothing on this entire website is required reading, there won't be a test. There is plenty of interest elsewhere. :)

biggeorge and wood remover like this.
  14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

In addition, there have been HAMB members who have been "Banned" due to posting content that was deemed inappropriate to this message board. The inappropriate content could range from politics, to religion, to Boyd Coddington, to rat rods, to Gas Monkey Garage, etc. in addition to non-Traditional content.

15. madmike3434

madmike3434

Yup, my 1935 chevy coupe owned since 1970 got redone 1996-2000, out came the 57 olds v8 radically modified 371.....opened up to 422 that had been in there since 64. Out came the crazy dropped 4 1/2 beam axle and in went the kugel IFS and the jag IRS went in , in 1974.
    The red super rare 35 phaeton had the full jag front and rear suspension, put in , in 1980.

My 35 chev roadster under construction has kugel IFS, jag IRS , a tremec 6 speed blah blah. But it also has the only custom DUVALL WINDSHIELD on a chevy in north America.

None of my cars qualify 100% under the rules of this site as per tradition and period correctness. After having my teeth rattled and kidneys shaken to hell with my coupe over the years to trips to many early NSRA nats starting with Peoria in 70 , I made an executive decision, first IRS in 74 and then 96 kugelled it. Nice ride quality , handles extremely well, pleasure to drive. If I wanted to live in the past I would rip out all the upgrades and go back to no handling, no ride crap , stick the barely fit engine compartment 57 olds back in.

Lots of RETRO people think those old olds , buicks, caddys, 393 hemi are cool ?? With a 10 gallon tank and having to stop on the highway every 100 miles , isn't fun, isn't cool.

My coupe has never attended a NSRA nats on a trailer of any kind. Guys who live less than 3 hours away have their cars on trailers, why, they are not even trailer worthy !!!!!! Was huge joke a couple of times at the hotels/motels.

Only the chevy stuff on roadster will be shown is the wood redo, quarter panel rebuild, trunk lid fabrication and the panel below it.

mike lynch

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    biggeorge and GuyW like this.
  16. madmike3434

madmike3434

After you previously saying on a few occasions that Essex outsold ford and chevy I went to production figures by maker or something like that.
    Never ever did Essex ever sell more than either of those. If I remember correctly best they did was one year was 5th. Essex was combined with Hudson figures and the Essex 6 was brought out in 24 probably increasing their sales drastically over the 4 banger.
    Care to expand on when Essex outsold the others.
    mike lynch
    decided to type into GOOGLE SEARCH ,
    "automotive USA production figures for 1918 " first year for Essex production .
    1918.......not in top 8
    1919.......not in top 8
    1920.......Hudson and Essex combined.........7
    1921.......Hudson and Essex combined.........7
    1922.....not in top 8
    1923 ......Hudson and Essex combined.........8
    1924.......Hudson and Essex combined..........6
    1925.......Hudson and Essex combined..........3
    1926.......Hudson and Essex combined ..........5
    1927.......Hudson and Essex combined ..........3
    1928........Hudson and Essex combined ..........4
    1929........Hudson and Essex combined...........3
    1930........Hudson and Essex combined...........5
    1931........Hudson and Essex combined .......... not in top 8
    1932........Hudson and Essex combined...........4
    1933........Hudson and Essex combined...........8 Terraplane was brought out same year.

mike lynch

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yes, "Traditional" is not always "Period Correct", nor is "Period Correct" always "Traditional". For various reasons, most of the new "Traditional" builds have some aspects that are newer. However, there are limits to how much newer content can be used, for the car to be considered "Traditional". A good example of these limits are the criteria that is used for The Meltdown Drags, (now called The Glory Days Drags). http://meltdowndrags.com/criteria/

Obviously, it is much more difficult to build a 100% "Period Correct", "Traditional" Hot Rod, or Custom. For one thing, the earlier the era that one is building to, the tougher the parts are to find. Another would be the cost.

As far as "Period Correct".....One could build a "Period Correct" 1980's Pro-Street car, or a "Period Correct" Boyd Coddington street rod. If someone wants to build one of these that is their decision. However, this is a "Traditional" message board, and it's highly unlikely that either of these examples would be very welcome here.

As was mentioned, it's Ryan's site, and he makes the rules. As far as the posts in question, there are basically three ways that they could have been deleted.
    1: The original poster deleted them on their own.
    2: They were deemed inappropriate to this board and deleted by a moderator.
    3: There have also been times when server problems have occurred, and posts have been lost. However, this is a very rare happening.

18. madmike3434

madmike3434

Correction..........ford borrowed from Chevrolet. The USA built Chevrolet open cars : roadsters 1929---1935, tourings/phaeton 1929--1935 , roadster pickups 1929-1932 , NON Fisher GM produced bodies made by Hercules -Campbell an outside supplier to Chevrolet used their own special design door hinge system and the door latching system.
    If you have a FILLING STATION catalogue they are listed in their catalogue as part # GR-601 L or R

The year ford produced a SINGLE DOOR PHAETON, 1930, uses a Chevrolet latching system. I found the company that still reproduces them in stainless steel for FORDS in the new England area. Price is about $150 each.

mike lynch

19. madmike3434

madmike3434

NON TRADITIONAL CONTENT.............so I go poking around the HAMB come across latest post on "another deuce roadster project" by BARON.
    Here is a picture from that thread showing the frame with new style tubular cross members, obviously this doesn't conform to "traditional content " as I understand it. But who am I to say whats right as a non ford guy.
    mike lynch
    dscn XCXC-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  20. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I've got,most,of a 30 Chevy coup I want gone it's mostly going to be patches or maybe replacement skins?!

These early Chevys can be really nice cars but the wood

biggeorge likes this.
  21. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

You have a trunk handle by chance

22. madmike3434

madmike3434

iandireproductions in calif lists a trunk lid handle for 1929---1932 with keyes TH06 but sold out, they may have reproduced them again or also try "the filling station" in Oregon.

mike lynch

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mike, I'll have to try and find where I read that. The big appeal with the early Essex was the very affordable closed cars. Maybe it was just a model that I was remembering.

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I think that is one of those things that has been said enough times that some start believing it without fact checking!

25. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Hoping to find an original that is aged like the door handles

Bowtie Coupe and Torkwrench like this.
  26. madmike3434

madmike3434

if you can find a nice one, then age it with sandpaper and sand blaster in spots to match door handles. Maybe even air brush some rust primer on it and clear it , just like all those FAUX finishes people seem to be in love with.

mike lynch

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Just saw this on another thread:
    CKC_1007_Jack-McNamara-34.jpg

28. madmike3434

madmike3434

Neat, 1934 Chevrolet Master series DA with bigger motor, identified by stamped in pattern in wheelhousing and stainless moldings on hood side.
    mike lynch

29. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Got to pit next to this guy and his 32 coupe, at last year's Meltdown Drags. Really nice people, a VERY QUICK Chevy, and a REALLY HOT, Hot Rod.

Skip to about 10:00 for some video of it, in action.

32 Chevy.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

One of the guys who put on The Meltdown Drags, owns this 34 coupe. He uses it to push start his vintage dragster. It's been a hot rod since the mid - late 1950's. The Power-Pack 283, cast iron Power-Glide, and 57 Chevy rear axel have been in the car, since it was first built.

34 Chevy Coupe.jpg 34 Chevy.jpg