Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Master Cylinder options for drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thebearded1!, Feb 27, 2019.

1. I've got a hot rod project i'm working the kinks out of it has drums all the way around and the master cylinder is leaking and needs rebuilt. Looking into the mc in the car, it's a dual mc with this cast number 5452810 says its a GM part. The previous owner told me he knew it was a gm part and possibly from a vette. This would mean it was made for all discs and doesn't have the residual valves for the drums. Rather than adding the valves to the lines and rebuilding the mc can anyone recommend a mc i can use for a 1600lbs roadster, 4 drums and mc below floor?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. 1932tub

1932tub

I used one from an early 70's Torino, it had residual pressure valves fitted. I have a 9" and F100 front brakes
    works well. Bought the m/c new cheap as, not worth rebuilding anything.

3. Popular options are vette drum/drum master
    Or mustang drum/drum master.

What wheel cylinders were used on the car?
    Best to match your master diameter to your wheel cyls.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JFYI, Corvettes never had a drum/drum master; they went from single drum to dual disc/disc.

5. Then what am I thinking of ???

Chevelle, nova maybe ?

6. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

10-1329 master cylinder from 67 chevy C 10 pickup drum/drum front and rear. Has 1" bore. Commonly used for single to dual chamber conversions on older chevy trucks 30 bucks at Oreileys
    I bought one but have to finish running brake lines before I can test it.
    You dont run a proportioning valve with drum/drum setup.

bobss396 likes this.
  7. A dual Nova or Chevelle master would be ok. So would a '67-ish Mustang master.

8. ricko1966

ricko1966

If no power assist beware of master cylinder bore diameter. Four wheel drum no power assist 1600lb car I'd look at a VW bug master cylinder,they had a remote reservoir, they never had power brakes the weight is comparable, they were all 4 wheel drum brake until they quit selling them in the U.S. and they used the same master from 1967 on.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I wanted to go to a dual piston setup and used a 1966 or later AMC master. Can't remember exactly what year or bore but it worked great in my 58. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe AMC was the one of the first car companies to implement the dual masters in the mid sixties.

1oldtimer likes this.
  10. ricko1966

ricko1966

I thought everyone went dual in 1967 by law. IDK

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cadillac was the first to use a dual master in '62. Not sure about AMC, but dual masters were DOT required in '67.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

I used a 67 Chevelle. I imagine it's probably the same M/C others have already noted.

Local parts store even had it in stock.

13. Mustang style had several bore size options. Used their 7/8's on several with good success.
    Their 1 inch was eaiser to find so used them.

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Over in the 1952-59 Ford Social group the 1967-68 Mustang Drum brake master has been popular over the years no extra valves are needed, Autozone part # M1485 this is a rebuilt (why you ask ?) That way you will have a better chance of getting a USA made Bendix or Raybestos casting newer masters are almost always from India or China and there has been issues with some.

15. Thanks for the replies everyone! Sorry I didn't respond i didn't get any notifications on this thread so i thought no one had answered. I was reading the casting number wrong and it turns out the MC that was in the car was from GM 68-70 camaro, chevelle, el camino, etc. I ended up ordering one from Rock Auto for that donor car and it worked out fine.

wvenfield and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. fordflambe

fordflambe

Put this early camaro drum/drum non-power MC on my 31 Chevy years ago. Its much smaller than the corvette dual MC. Dont know how it would work with power or under floor?

Im using a tri-five swing pedal to operate it.

AUT_9305.JPG MasterCyl.JPG