Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49 Ford Drivetrain Value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Watersrl, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Watersrl

Watersrl

I have a 1949 Ford Custom with a Flathead V8, three speed manual trans and rear. All are basically stock and are in good working order. I'm considering replacing with a later model Ford motor, trans & rear and was hoping to get an idea of what the removed motor, trans & rear should be worth as far as resale. Any help would be appreciated.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Engine will have value to many hot rodders, especially if you let a buyer drive it before you remove it. The trans and rearend are only valuable to other 49-51 Ford owners, and not really a lot of them, because many will be doing the same as you.

I'd say the engine could be $500, and I'd feel lucky to get $100 each from the trans or rearend.

Pist-n-Broke and alanp561 like this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on where you are. If I have to
    have it shipped
    or
    drive across country to pick it up, I have to figure that expense into the price. I just negotiated $400 for an 8BA locally that was described as having been in covered storage. When I got the heads and manifold off, the mice had been living in it for years. My $400 engine was worth $8 at the scrapyard. The seller made good on it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. A recently rebuilt good running engine complete from carb to pan could be worth a G - note or more to the right buyer.
    Unknown but running engine down from there significantly.
    Also depends on where you live and the market for this stuff.
    Tranny and diff around 3-100 dollars each. Again depending on who’s looking.

I have bought stuff for peanuts as I like to buy when I don’t need, so I can wait and look for deals.
    I’ve also spent good money on stuff when I needed it yesterday!!

alanp561 likes this.

5. Good advice and something I learned many years ago. If your going to sell a solid running motor that's in a Car, sell it while it's still in the Car running. Also unless your a real Mechanic and know the difference you should be willing to accept the fact it may only be a running core and not necessarily a grate motor. Still with that said running is worth more than on the Floor and used to run. I can tell you this also, to do a machine shop rebuild today without buying any hard parts but including new Pistons, Cam and lifters you can easily go past 5K .

alanp561 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got $800 for the last good bare 8BA block I sold two years ago (with a money back return if it was no good). They buyer was glad to pay it, because he had torn down 5 other engines to find them badly cracked. The fact that an engine runs and drives in a car is no guarantee it is not cracked, but it's a damn good indicator.

VANDENPLAS and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

I think if it runs real good and the buyer can hear it and drive it, you could get $1000 for that engine, very complete with all the accessories. There's a fair amount of demand for flatheads and good runners are hard to find.

The trans doesn't have much value. The cluster gears tend to be chipped up, if yours looks good inside it could be worth $100 to someone who needs one but it might take a while to find that person. Driveshaft could be sold on eBay, rearend as an assembly is probably worthless, unless you want to go through the trouble of selling the center section and axles separately so they're ship-able, then you could put that stuff on eBay for say $100 each (center, axles, driveshaft) and eventually they'd all sell although you'll have to wait a while for a buyer.

Throwing the trans and rearend in with the engine won't increase the value of the engine but it'll get rid of everything faster, probably.

alanp561 likes this.
  8. Watersrl

Watersrl

Thanks to everyone for all your comments! Now I just need to figure out what I want to do.................

9. I am thinking of the same approach & was wondering what the engine & trans would sell for.
    Mine has the overdrive, does it change the value of the trans.?

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets put it this way; I would be interested in an OD transmission if the price was right. I would be interested in a straight transmission if the price was really right (how's about free).

alanp561 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not trying to invade your privacy but your profile doesn't say where you live. Doesn't have to be name on the mailbox, Street address, third pink house on the left directions but it would be helpful to a prospective buyer. I wouldn't consider buying it if you are all the away across country from me but traveling to one of the adjoining states wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure some of the other guys would feel the same way.

Texas Webb likes this.
  12. Input simply from my hands on experience and truly worth Nothing. We all go to Swap Meets. We see transmissions as well as complete used rear axles laying around a lot. When was the last time you actually seen a buyer humping one of them out the door? Very very seldom. If you gave me the stick overdrive gear box for Free I wouldn't pay the shipping. Storing these big items becomes a territory battle in any shop or garage not to mention the Grease Slick they make. Sooner or later they get moved outside and a few years latter due to water damage into the Scrap Trailer. The last few projects I took on that started as fair running driving vehicles with motors that had good value got sold while in place and I made sure it was a package deal. Price to go and the buyers were happy even if they had to take things they didn't need. Made me happy being I never had to re handle, haul, store or clean up the Grease Spot. If your into Nickle and Dime parts value ya gotta take into consideration what it takes to finally put that small change in your pocket. Yes, a good crack free Flat Head bare block will bring between $600 and $800 bucks. It takes time and money to do the tear down, tank and Mag one. How much profit ya gonna make? A middle of the road running F Head will fetch ya $800 to $1200. Most anyone shopping for a complete Flat motor is building something. I say when he knocks on your door make him a grate deal at 1K and give them everything, just make sure they load the rear axle and trans first.

13. Packrat

Packrat

I would love to have the engine and trans but you're too far away. Post your location, someone will want them.