Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Rodders Journal moving to Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Got an email from Steve Coonan today that says they're moving from CA to Richmond, VA.

2. Heard the same thing this morning. Some of the "movers and shakers" in VA convinced RJ that the scene is strong back east! I, for one, am stoked!!!

3. We're Moving!
    [​IMG]
    We're extending our 50% off clearance sale until Thursday. Use the code TAKE50 at checkout. Click here to SAVE!
    2019 is shaping up to be a landmark year for The Rodder’s Journal. It marks our 25thAnniversary. It’s hard to believe, but we introduced our very first issue at the Street Rod Nationals back in 1994. Like any worthwhile endeavor, this quarter-century has been a learning experience. So, first and foremost, we would like to thank you for your unparalleled support. TRJ never would have reached this milestone without you.

We’ve hinted that something big is brewing, and now is the time to share. We’re moving our TRJ headquarters to Richmond, Virginia. TRJ has been headquartered in California for more than 20 years, and I have spent the vast majority of the past 40+ years as a Golden State resident. Now, it’s time to move on. The cost of doing business and the cost of living particularly in the San Francisco Bay Area have reached levels that are hard to fathom, and I don’t see an end to the steady increase in sight. We serve a national and even a global market, and it’s not fair to our loyal readers, nor is it sound business, to raise prices to support Bay Area overhead. So, we’re on the move.

TRJ was born on the East Coast and we’re excited to return to our roots. That being said, we see this move as an opportunity to further our involvement in this hobby we know and love—from coast to coast. As an added perk, our Richmond headquarters puts us within a long day’s drive of a very large population of East Coast and Midwest-based hot rodders.

And this in no way means we will be forsaking California or the Western states as a whole. In fact, I believe we will be able to participate in the hobby more coast to coast—and even internationally—far more than we have in recent times. Our sophisticated business plan is to spend less on rent and spend more on old cars and participating in the hobby.

I don’t want to give the impression that the only reason we are moving to Richmond is its lower cost structure. I first visited the city when I was photographing Dave Russell’s Model A Victoria for TRJ #75, and I have genuinely developed an affection for the city and its people. The reasons are too numerous to enumerate here, but there are a whole lot of factors that make Richmond and the surrounding area a good strategic choice as a new home for The Rodder’s Journal.

This is a big change for us and it is part of a broader plan that began last year when we brought our printing back to the U.S.A. And this isn’t the last change for The Rodder’s Journal. We’ve got a few more things in the works that you'll be excited to hear about. What we are not going to do, however, is make change for the sake of change. We are dedicated to continuing to publish the very best traditional hot rod and custom car magazine that we are capable of.

With the move on the horizon, we’re extending our biggest sale until Thursday. All merchandise is 50% off, and some of these items won’t be coming with us to Virginia. You can learn more about the sale here.

On behalf of myself and the TRJ staff, we would like to once again thank you for your dedication. We can’t wait to see where these next 25 years take us.

Sincerely,

Steve Coonan
    Publisher & Editorial Director
    The Rodder's Journal

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn't that hard to go to where the hot rod action is anywhere in the US or world now as it was even 25 years ago.
    They aren't the first hot rod oriented company that has moved out of California in the past few years and unless things change I see more moving just to be able to afford to stay in business and make a living at it.
    I'm a lifetime subscriber so I want to see them stay in business for a long time.

5. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks for the post Brett. Are you coming to Run to the sun? Snowman

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That's great news. Now east coasters will get their mags sooner. Seems like lots of folks are exiting CA
    these days.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome back to the East Coast, just a few hours drive to the Hershey swap meet in October. Bob

Dino 64 and D-Russ like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Sounds to me like you can "blame" Dave Russell! Thank You, Dave.

HEMI32, Scooterville, Dino 64 and 5 others like this.
  9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck! If I wasn't so old I would be outta here too. Costs are crazy-glad I own my house etc, but still the place is going down hill. I could be a desert person but my wife not so much. We could reduce our cost of living by 25% I'm sure.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    OL 55, Irish Mike, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  10. F&J

F&J

Not just Cal,,,,,Every place seems to have some sort of a drawback, some more than others. We here in Southern New England have what I feel is the most amount of traditional rod events for such a very small area...but...this freaking winter is just not letting up...as well as expenses & taxes rising. Our State is losing population just like Ca. and many other States.

11. Got that same e-mail this morning. Most of the staff has East Coast roots anyway so it only makes sense. Can't say that I blame them for bailing out of California. Maybe this will bode well for another Rodder's Journal show somewhere between D.C. and Richmond. Sure hope so. Bet that race complex that the Gore Family owns would make a great site for a show. :D

12. ................or even Richmond International Raceway.:)

13. I Don't guess I'm one of the cool kids, I didn't get the e-mail. HRP

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

He better hurry before they outlaw Fossil Fuels and Hot Rods and he has to move by High Speed Rail. Looks like a smart move to get the hell out of CA.

15. sounds like Seattle ! Congrats on the move... sound business plan for sure.. only bummer
    my TRJ may take longer to get ! LOL

Ranchero59 likes this.
  16. 2935ford

2935ford

Can't blame you.
    I had a great time when I lived there from '61 until '80. Have visited many times since but move back.....nah!

Best of luck with the move and new setup!

17. I am too, sounds great.

18. Just like F & J said. There are many Hot Rod events in New England. However, the cost of staying in Connecticut made my wife and I move to Pennsylvania. Connecticut politicions just like to spend other peoples money. We still go back to visit, but, as retired people living on Social Security we had to do what was best for us. There hare hot rodders here in Pennsylvania, too.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My guess is it went to lifetime members only. You a lifetime member Danny?

Well I for one trust Steve and crew to be doing it for all the right reasons. What an outstanding magazine !

Surfrider likes this.
  20. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. It's an exciting time here at TRJ, and we can't wait to see what Virginia has in store. We sent this email to our entire email list, Lifetime Subscriber or not.

Thank you @brett4christ for plugging it into this thread!

@HOTRODPRIMER did you check all your inboxes? If not, we need to update your email address!

Thanks again!
    The TRJ team

21. You could have come one state farther south to 10-UH-C and saved even more $$.

alanp561 and D-Russ like this.
  22. Good deal on the jackets, just ordered two...

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thank you brett for the help.:) I wanted to add the email but beyond my skill level!:D
    Just ordered a bunch of stuff to help finance the trip to VA!;):D:D
    I'm thinking of bringing them down to Smithfield for ice cream.;) Maybe a bit more.:)
    IMG_3578.JPG
    Maybe some of you fellas somewhat local to Smithfield can join in the fun if I can manage to get them down here.

24. mike matters

mike matters

When is this happening I just sent them a message last week on facebook about stopping by the office and picking up some back issues said it wouldn't be a problem????

25. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Sounds like a good business deal. Its happing all along the west coast. Good luck TRJ and look forward to many years of your high quality magazine or (book).

26. mike matters

mike matters

am heading san Francisco in april

27. Welcome to Richmond Steve and crew!

oj, Scooterville, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  28. Hey it’s like the old days..used to be plenty of Rod
    and Kustom mags from the east coast during the little pages days..

lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  29. Actually, I AM planning to be there Jim! We haven't been to MB to see her mom in a while, so in Friday afternoon and out Sunday midday. Message me with any details of events/happenings that weekend!