Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting By Pass Housing to Full Flow

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Trethewey, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Trethewey

Trethewey

There are guys who build hot rods with new parts disguised to look like period parts--examples, alternators built to look like generators, fuel injection throttle bodies to look like 4-barrel carburetors, '41 Willys roadsters, etc. I am NOT one of those guys. Not even a little.
    I was out in the beer-room, I mean "garage", and I pulled it out:eek:...a Fram-labeled bypass oil filter housing off a 1946 Something-or-other, made out of 11-gauge (or more) steel, made in USA.
    It was heavy, it was black, it was massive, it had 1/4" NPT inlets and outlets.
    Is there any reason why I can't convert that housing to full flow?
    I like 1/2" NPT inlets and outlets, not 1/4", but that is easily rectifiable.
    I haven't looked at full flow filter element availability yet, but progressing from this housing to Offenhauser's period beehive is an obvious step.
    I think this could work, but I've got to be missing something. Now there's a surprise.
    Eddie

2. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    classiccarjack likes this.
  3. would it be a good idea to have some type of bypass so when the oil is cold it will not blow out the element or starve the engine of oil?

4. Should be easy enough, here is a diagram for a Stude V8 conversion

fulfloD[1].jpg Fullflow6.jpg

5. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Tretheway,
    What kind of engine is it? For some reason I was assuming a 46 Ford Flathead.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There was a long discussion of the merits of full flow vs bypass filters on the AACA forums. Experience proves first, that either filter is better than no filter at all, second that engine life and cleanliness is alike in both cases, depending more on how the engine is used and how often the oil and filter are changed. It also appears that bypass filters were the standard for years, and full flow only came in when hydraulic lifters appeared because hydraulic lifters couldn't chance a speck of dirt bypassing the filter, because of the very small oil holes in them.

Studebaker V8s came with bypass filters even though full flow had been around for a few years when they were designed. But, the Stude had solid lifters. Evidently the engineers at Studebaker thought the bypass was better. In the early sixties they changed to full flow. Someone who has torn down and rebuilt hundreds of these engines said there was no difference in engine life and wear, and he would not pay extra for one with full flow, although many people do.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Speedway has these finned aluminum covers for $19.99
    [​IMG]