Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM's manual 3 spd with 5 Mountong holes???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikieOne, Feb 26, 2019.

1. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

I picked this trans up the other day along with extra parts, good deal for what I was after in the extra part dept.

Here is my question. It has 5 mounting holes to mount it to the bellhousing (WTF) is that. I have never seen this type of trans and would like to know what it is. Below I'll give the specs on casting numbers and and such.
    1, Main Case= GM24 6273245 date code (L33)
    2, Side inspection Cover=GM 3952645 date code (L193) 7 bolt with top covet one center bolt
    3, Tail Shaft Housing=326558 or 328558 date code (A84)
    4, Brg Retainer=GM27 3920740 with 4.11/16" 4 bolt cover
    Stamping Numbers on Flat Machined pad=C4Z140496
    Will apppreciate any info and or Links given. I haven't found much on it so far.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. upspirate

upspirate

Maybe a pic of the trans would help?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

3. oldolds

oldolds

I pulled one out of a mid to late 70's truck that had 5 bolts holding it in. Extra one was at the center on top of the trans. I never used it and must have junked it with the truck carcass.

chryslerfan55 and junior 1957 like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

5. junkman8888

junkman8888

The truck transmission is well sought after by the dirt track guys, don't throw it away.

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

interchanges just fine with the regular 4 bolt saginaw,dirt track guys tend to break the top 2 ears on the 4 bolt version-

7. 54MEB

54MEB

I have one just like it. Came out of a late 70’s half ton truck. You can use it with a car style bell housing if you swap the snout for the throwout bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Are they not using a crossmember?

9. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Sorry haven't got around to taking pics. Member "Johnny Gee" pic is just like mine.

10. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

No for both your post. I know about that trans (MY6-NP440) over drive, I am wanting that one but haven't hit the Bone Yards yet.

11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Mikie if you get one make sure to grab the bellhousing too.

12. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Not sure about the mid 70's part, all what I know about "Date Codes" tells me this Main Case and the Side Inspection Cover has date code is 63/73 or even 83 (X X 3). The Tail Shaft Housing date code is 64/74 or even 84 (XX4) and the Bellhousing Date Code is 65/75 or even 85 (XX5) not sure when this trans's life span is if knowing that would narrow the date code down.
    This trans and all the other stuff I purchased came from a 1966 C10 6cyl. Also Bellhousing's Brg Retainer hole is for cars (4.11/16") I think and the trans has a rear trans mount provision making it a car trans I believe.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  13. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Ding Ding Ding give this man a cigar, LOL. Good call Johnny Gee

14. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Not sure it is a truck tranny as the Brg Retainer is 4.11/16" and what I have learned the truck trans have 5.1/8" for the Brg Retainer that matches the Bellhousing which the Bellhousing I have is also 4.11/16" .

15. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Is there a "Link" for any Forum or Site promoting the Dirt Track guys. Maybe I could put it up for sale there.

16. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

This trans is setup for tail shaft housing cross member mounting, but it was bolted up to a two mount bellhousing that has bellhousing cross member mounts.

17. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

I bought a package deal with (bellhousing and trans),flywheel,starter,clutch and press plate,Z bar,linkage,clutch fork and return spring. The bellhousing is setup for two cross member mounts and the trans has a tail shaft housing cross member trans mount provision as well.

18. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

Anybody else know what this trans RPO code is or what it is called by its Common name or even what its conversation name would be? You know all that stuff.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Your over thinking matter's. It's a Saginaw 3 speed for Truck's less cross member. Tail housing is one design for all Saginaw's. Only the main case is different because it hangs rather than supported.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We hit f**king walls and we can rip the left upper nut right out of a Hydroform scattershield too. And no we don't, the engine has 4 corner mounts..

21. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

This trans has two support points kinda, one on the tail housing and two on the cross member/bellhousing or at least this is how it was bought together, maybe not meant for each other as a truck trans or bellhousing has the Brg Retainer hole at 5.1/8" and this trans and bellhousing has the hole at 4.11/16".

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As said here before, bearing retainer are interchangeable. Trying to figure out why is like asking. Why does this 57 Chevy Bel Air have a 350 engine with side mounts when it should be a 283 with front mounts? Time has it's way's of changing things and there's nothing that can been done about it.

MikieOne likes this.
  23. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

So I guess where there is a will there's a way, changing a brg retainer from a 5.1/8" to a 4.11/16" is no big deal and as well with a tail shaft housing also can be changed out for a tail support or a non tail support deal. I might be catching on here, LOL maybe my mind can play in the "right " field after all, LOL. thanks

24. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

So do you know what the RPO code is or what the letter-number code is? You know like a SM330/M330, MC319 ect ect, names like that or those.

25. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

I would think a Truck and or a Car transmissions would have different RPO codes because the Truck trans has the 5th mounting hole and the Car trans only has 4 mounting holes so it would make sense that each one would have its own RPO code.
    Let me say this a Truck trans tail housing wouldn't have a trans/cross member mount it has two Bell housing cross member mounts and a Car would have a Tail Housing cross member mount only, with that said this trans has the main case and the seven bolt (one top center bolt) side cover with a same date code ending in 3 but the tail housing has a date code ending in 4 so what I think I have is a mix of parts, Bell Housing has two rear mounts and the Brg Retainer is Car (4.11/16")I think, with the Main Case being Truck (the 5th mount hole) then the Tail Housing being Car with a Trans mount. I actually thought that truck Bell Housings and frt Brg Retainers were 5.1/8" right? This is why I posted all of the specs with casting #'s along with the date codes.
    I have found Date Codes belonging to Saginaw trans but that doesn't make sense for what I found as the date codes I found Don't have the letter "L" like my main case and the side cover has but I do have a match for the tail housing being a "A". Must be two different Date Codes for Trucks and Cars. Jan.-Dec.=A,B,C,D,E,H,K,M,P,R,S,T. no "L" ???

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have to ask. Why is this so important? Is that your building something that you want numbers to be correct?

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. sdluck

sdluck

I to would like to know?

28. 54vicky

54vicky

trying to convince himself that it is a prototype that he owns.rare rare rare not not not