Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Ford Tudor transmission advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowsertc, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Cowsertc

Cowsertc

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum (and classic car scene in general) and I am in need of some advice. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but I purchased this car to learn how to work on cars/trucks. I rebuild vintage motorcycles as a hobby, so I am mechanically inclined.

Enough about me; here's my situation.

I recently purchased a 1951 Ford Tudor Custom with a late 60's 302, and a 70's era C4 transmission with a Hurst Promatic. I got a very good deal on the car because it is in need of some transmission work. I've been throwing around a couple ideas, but I would appreciate some input from someone with more experience.

Unfortunately, this car is past the point of restoration, but I do want to see it back in the road. With that being said, I'm not afraid to make alterations to the car.

Here are the options I'm thinking about:

1. Rebuild the C4 transmission with a transgo shift kit and not worry about any alterations.

Or

2. Fit a T5 transmission into the vehicle.

I would prefer the T5, but I am worried about monetary limits with the swap. I have read countless threads about the c4 to t5 swap and I can never get a clear idea as to whether or not I will have to modify the driveshaft and/or yolk to fit. I know this tends to be a case by case basis, and I would only know once I fit the t5 into the car.

I'm hoping someone could offer some advice to me before I start collecting parts for either option.

I appreciate any and all responses.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  2. Welcome to the HAMB.Not a bad looking car.We don't approve of rat talk here.Please read the rules.

3. Cowsertc

Cowsertc

My apologies, I read the hot rod rules and the custom rules, so I thought this was the right section of the forum. I will work on removing the post

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Pist-n-Broke likes this.

5. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

That sure doesn't look beyond restoration potential.

6. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

rebuild the c4, get a set of steelies and your in good shape.
    Pete

Pist-n-Broke and Cowsertc like this.
  7. Just so ya know we don't give a crap about Restoration, just Kool drivers and good people. I think you'll be just fine. Personally I'd just stick with the C-4. It's ion place and did work just fine. I feel there is way to much talk about T-5's. To say the least you will need Clutch pedal parts. Now your on the Hunt for not so easy parts to find today. You will Not just stick the existing drive shaft back in as is. If you can do your own dirty work for the cost of parts just mentioned you already spent more than it takes to rebuild the C-4.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  8. robracer1

robracer1

To me that's not a rat rod just a old car that has been neglected by some with the lack of funds, just needs a little clean up and a little TLC and will not win a trophy at a car show.
    If you don't need to drive on the highways a lot c4 would be ok, but highway driving I would go t5 for a overdrive gear for a whole lot better gas mileage.
    don't run from this forum because someone says something bad about your new ride, I had a 50 shoebox and got guidance and information from a great a group of gearheads that enjoy helping each other

9. Cowsertc

Cowsertc

Thanks everyone, I think's that's what I will be doing, rebuilding the c4. It seems to be a great car. My biggest reason for the t5 swap would be because I am used to a 6 speed in my daily driver. This car was branded the "Adventure Ford" from the previous owner who used to drive all across the southeast looking for places of interest.

I went ahead and purchased a "preformance" rebuild kit, simply because it came with both bands, and a transgo stage 2 shift kit. I'm not a huge fan of the ratchet shift installed currently, but that may be due to lack of familiarity with it.

I greatly appreciate everyone who has commented on this post.

10. George

George

That's moving fast! Was going to say; Consider putting in an AOD. never mind.

11. Cowsertc

Cowsertc

Haha, sorry about that George. I'm in a hurry to get this car back on the road. From what I understand, the C4 is an excellent around town transmission, and with the help from the other members here, it reassured that I should take the "safe" route for now. I can always do a swap later down the road.

12. Any idea what rear end ratio you have?

13. Today's overdrive stuff is just the New Wave of things. I try to stay cost effective when necessary. Think of all the Falcon's Fairlanes and Mustang's that still don't have an overdrive in them and are daily drivers. Your in that same group. If you want to update my all means the Ford AOD for any 302 would me a good move. When I built my 51 Vick it started with a turbo 350 being I had it and was part of the S.B.C. package. Later with a maintenance move it got a 700-R. No regrets there but the actual increase in Gas Mileage was only about 4 mpg on the highway. Hardly worth the cost on a stand alone change.