Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A-V8 electric fuel pump location?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pothole, Feb 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pothole

Pothole

Folks, I am in need of ideas on where to install a Holley electric fuel pump on my 31 A w/59ab flathead. I had it installed on the right K member support arm but when my Red's headers arrived I found that my first choice won't work. I am following Vern's "hot rod your Model A " book but the Holley instructions is telling me no further than 12" from the fuel tank. I am using the original Model A tank and my K member location was a good 18 inches below the tank. Can you folks with A-V8s and electric fuel pumps let me know where you mounted yours? I would hate to have to send back the headers. Thanks,

2. town sedan

town sedan

Using a stock tank with built in gravity feed, do you really need a fuel pump?
    -Dave

3. Pothole

Pothole

Dave, I don't know to what extent the fuel pump is needed, I do have dual carbs and Vern's build called for one but technically I don't know at what point the gravity feed fail to deliver. Thanks, Bob

4. What about the flathead pump?Should do the job.

flatheadpete likes this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Holley's "instructions" does not take into consideration applications like yours. You have the advantage of gravity bringing fuel to the pump. This isn't the case in "today's market". This is why "no further than 12" from the fuel tank". Mount it where you have better clearance and go from there. This hobby is all about trial and error after all.

town sedan likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

the 12" number is horizontal, not vertical, I believe.

What Johnny said, applies here.

Tim and town sedan like this.
  7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

What Johnny and Jim said. Most instructions also mention mounting the pump lower than the tank. A stock Model A tank definitively meets that criteria.

8. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

As close and low to the tank as possible. I have one on my roadster but only use it if it has been sitting for a long time to bring fuel up to stock pump. Then switch it off.

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Simple, exactly what "panhead" above said..!
    Shouldn't be that difficult to figure out a location.

Question - WHAT Holley pump do you have? Most have WAY too high an output for any sized bank of 97's..! You only need about 1-1/2 or 2 psi., unless the carburetors have a blower under them..!

Mike

10. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I'm a big believer in electric fuel pumps on a flathead. I think if you are on the down hill, you will be fine.
    Wouldn't be without mine on my 50 ford.
    Pete

11. Pothole

Pothole

12. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks for the input, I think I have a solution that gets the pump well away from the headers and is as close as possible to the bottom of the tank. I am going to mount it to the wooden floor(more vertical piece) on the passenger side. Run the ground to nearest frame surface and have the regulator for the pump near the engine top for easy access. When I get it done I will post pics showing its position along with header location. Thanks for being there when I hit a wall- you help me think it out.

13. wisdonm

wisdonm

It is better to push than suck. Closest to the tank is better.

48fordnut likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It's BELOW the tank, which is in the upper cowling. On his lap. No 'sucking' involved.
    'Shit' runs downhill...

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ever push on a rope?

Frankie47 and Texas Webb like this.
  16. 6sally6

6sally6

If it worries you I would skip the electric fuel pump and maybe increase the size of your fuel line. I have NEVER run an engine outta fuel because the mech. pump couldn't keep up...let alone a flattie! (Maybe a blown flattie with duel quads using alcohol...nawwww not even then!):rolleyes:
    The increased cap of a bigger fuel line should keep your engine very happy with fuel.
    6sally6

17. Pothole

Pothole

Well folks I tried to take a final pic but could not get a good shot of the pump with the header on so will have to wait until I take the header off. I did what a friend recommended and mounted the pump on the bottom of the upper floor plank well out of the way of the header and tail pipe. All your suggestions regarding to add or not to add the pump are well taken but in being guided by Vern Tardel's Hot Rod your Model A and agreeing with his reasoning I did it "Vern's way". The argument centers not on flow but on rear engine/firewall space. It is very tight near the throttle bar and the opened up are as a result of doing away with the mechanical pump really helped. This is my first hot rod build, an enjoyable process but sometimes very confusing. With the space I saved by using the electric pump I was able to made a new oil filler tube moving the tube out and away from the firewall and the wires coming out. Thanks again to all and to H.A.M.B.

18. banjorear

banjorear

Tardell's book calls for one because they relocated the tank in the trunk. Using the gravity feed stock tank, you don't need it. Just use the stock flathead pump

19. Pothole

Pothole

Banjorear, I think we might be looking at different books, the one I reference is "Hot Rod your Model A", a spiral bound hard cover, published 2017. His electric pump is mounted way forward of the rear, its on the rail below the cowl tank. I may have to move mine in the future because I have been thinking that one day I might like to install a 65-68 Mustang tank in the floor area behind the front seat.

20. banjorear

banjorear

Gotcha. Yes, we are looking at two different books. Sorry about that. Good luck with your build.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@Pothole good going on sticking with what you've decided on. Yes, you've read about the idea but you stuck with what you liked about it and never turned back. To often there are guy's that listen to everyone's opinion yet never accomplish finishing their project due to worrying over failure and acceptance.

22. modeleh

modeleh

That maybe so, but I do think it’s worth considering the advice given regarding the pump pressure of the Holley pump and the likelihood of the needle and seats not being able to hold back the pressure.
    A lot of the advice given here is to try and prevent guys from making the same mistakes we’ve made ourselves, that being said one thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that the Holley electric pumps can be noisy and transmit vibrations through the chassis/body. I removed one from my Falcon for this reason, you could hear the pump over the sound of the engine.
    The mechanical pumps are quiet, reliable and produce the correct pressure. Electric pumps can be all of these things but when one of those three characteristics isn’t right they can create more problems than they solve.

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

But will you be there to "solve" along with Pothole? There are many other pumps to try later on if need be?

24. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

I put mine just under the toe board mounted on the rear edge of the bellhousing,,I also put a 12volt cut off valve in the tank to eliminate the manual valve ,,and it runs through a decent fuel filter,,

Attached Files:

25. modeleh

modeleh

Yes there are. The Facet cube style pump that Roddy shows can be bought in a configuration that puts out low pressure and they are quiet and also shut themselves off when up to pressure.