Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OLD GAS TANK, big dent.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pecker head, Feb 23, 2019.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You can do it the way I was shown at House of Kolor in 1980, put a little gas in the tank, not to much and just enough then move it around in the tank. Finally you take the lit gas torch and put it in the open hole. Either you have a dent or you don't. :)

stillrunners likes this.
  2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

he could get a steel pipe and cap the ends put in a bung for gas cap and be done. pick what size pipe and length he wanted . all new custom made for him. shouldn't cost that much. sell that to some other sucker. it's for water storage. Expansion_Tank_MN_106_DJFs.jpg

stillrunners likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well if motorcycle gas tanks never got welded on there would be some very expensive, priceless in fact vintage tanks getting scrapped. There's no shortage of guys out there that repair tanks, they crack at the mounts and seams from vibration. Dents get metal finished by cutting holes in the bottom or tunnel area to get a dolly through and then welded back up. Some fill them with inert gas, some run engine exhaust through, some do what I do. When I started I would tape a match to a broom stick and hold it over the bung until it flashed. Now I just hold a propane torch at arms length. After it flashes I stick the torch down into the tank for a bit. Maybe the 55 gallon barrel that exploded had no escape hole when he cut into it?

4. noboD

noboD

Haven't seen anyone suggest that it may have a baffle in it. Look inside with a flashlight. If you take the end off you may not really have easy access to the dent.

5. Think this tanks fun....try old motorcycle tanks.......

clem and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  6. Let's face it fellas, some of us are just plain Better and Smarter and more talented than than a whole Lot of other people. Luck has nothing to do with it. Something else that might be of some help would be to Google "How to use a Snarling Iron". Tools like this is one of the reason most Old anvil's have a Square hole in them.

Okie Pete, scott27 and pecker head like this.
  7. ricko1966

ricko1966

What I have done and it works well is used a slide hammer and then brazed the holes shut.NowI have a unispotter so no need for holes just stick the studs down and pull your dent.Remember to pull the last part of the dent first and the first part of the dent last.If you are brazing the holes shut put a garden hose in the tailpipe of a running car and into the tank you're brazing.No oxygen equals no fire.Of course I always washed them out good first also.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    stillrunners and sunbeam like this.
  8. ricko1966

ricko1966

9. ricko1966

ricko1966

The shop I worked at for many years a guy blew up a 55 gallon drum welding on it Mark was not hurt but he looked like a racoon.LOL

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would treat this the same as I used to do on motorcycle gas tanks, low air pressure and gently tap along the crease lines on the edge of the dent, it has worked for me many times, of course with a motorcycle gas tank you want to put a strap around the tank so it doesn't spread open where it goes over the frame! This isn't rocket science and it works and is a pretty quick repair.

54vicky and pecker head like this.
  11. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I've welded a few gas tanks, after flooding (twice) with water to displace any possible vapors, and, much to many people's disappointment, am still here. I wouldn't hesitate to do another, but my lawyer advises me to add a disclaimer - "Do not attempt this unless properly trained and certified".

sunbeam and Hollywood-East like this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only had one failure. Tried to reseat a tire while it was on a utility trailer. Set the tire, wood trailer floor, contents of the trailer and the surrounding vegetation on fire. The owner of the property didn't buy my " It shoulda worked ".:oops:

Okie Pete, clem and czuch like this.
  13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Lots of welding is done on gas tanks that held gas the same day they are welded. There is several ways to make a tank safe to weld. Your story, while true, simply says that the barrel was not made safe first. I have welded lots of gas tanks and I am not scared.

stillrunners and Terrible80 like this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I had a leak in the gas tank of an O/T '56 Austin Healey. I took it to the local radiator shop (back when we still had real radiator shops). The owner said he used to do them until he had one go off on him but his employee still would repair gas tanks. They would put them in the hot tank and do the repair as soon as the tank came out and was still warm which lessened the chance of it flashing. Point is it can be done by those who know what they are doing but even those with proper training can have one go off. It's up to the individual but then there are those who will work under a car with just a floor jack and no jack stands. JMO

czuch likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I think we can agree that trying to control an explosion in OP's tank to push the dent out is not a good option. I like the low pressure air or water idea. I have a little experience there. When finished welding a tank I spray the outside with soapy water, hold my hand over the cap hole and shoot air into the petcock hole to check for pinholes. By regulating the air escaping the cap hole with my hand I control the pressure inside the tank. It may be possible for the OP to do this and use the free hand to tap the outside high spots.

16. patsurf

patsurf

i think by now he could have made a new tank from scratch....this horse is a skeleton...

54vicky, Bugguts, Rex_A_Lott and 2 others like this.
  17. Gerrys

Gerrys

I soldered up a gas tank. washed out first. then filled with water leaving the repair area as the highest point. When i fist heated the spot I got a small puff and water shot out the filler. Had the tank not been filled with water it would have been real exciting. Finished the soldering and had little more volume in the tank.

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

At least you are right about some bad advice being offered, but wrong when you say the only good advice is to build a new tank! A dented tank can be straightened safely and effectively using low air pressure and basic metal work strategy of working out the creases around the edge! Just because YOU think the best way is to build a new tank does not make all other options bad.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    tb33anda3rd, kidcampbell71 and F&J like this.
  19. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting thread, I was looking for the end result did the dent ever get removed ? Curious minds want to know. I too have welded several tanks all with success but I learned back in high school as my welding teacher filled a tank with water and told us all that as long as there is water in the tank he is safe 30 seconds later we see 15 gallons of water explode as he started to torch the fill tube in place

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  20. Can you put a brass or stainless skin around the outside of the tank and leave the dent?

Charlie Stephens

21. So what you learned back then was, "don't do it like this" Right?

czuch likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Santa Clara High: 1957, Richard Starrett filled an aluminum Moon tank with water, all the way to the brim. Struck up a mild oxy/acet flame...proceeded to 'warm' the end with the tiny pin hole.
    "Whhoom!" Blew the end right off. Clear across the 60 foot metal shop.

23. 6sally6

6sally6

IF the tank was FILLED with water........what could possibly explode?

pecker head likes this.
  24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have no idea how to take the dent out.
    There have been a couple times of ether to seat a tire, always hilarious.
    I've soldered a support back onto my 57 Country Sedan's radiator, braised the gas tank on the Falcon.
    I'd just turn the dent to the wall and run it.

caseywheels and alanp561 like this.
  25. rusty valley

rusty valley

when i've welded tanks full of water you some times get the rainbow colored residue floating on top the water, and its on fire!! so what, keep welding if its full of water. years ago we had to cut gas tanks in half to get scrap price for the metal. i would put the tank on the other side of a big tree and reach around with the cutting torch and blow a hole in it. not dead yet

czuch and pecker head like this.
  26. pecker head

pecker head

Hopefully Saturday,I’m gonna try some of the suggested advice.

27. Tetanus

Tetanus

Just my 2cents whatever you do I wouldn't pressurize it with more than a few pounds of air. It's not designed for it and could kill you.air pressure is massive amount of stored energy. Just Google air compressor tank explosions and your nuts will pucker just standing by a air tank. If you fill with water and pressurize it doesn't compress so it can't store energy.i think I have heard of people doing it with a grease gun once it's full.like someone else said that's how they test tanks. Buddy of mine used to make 2 stroke expansion Chambers with water and pressure washer.hydroform them. Sometimes they would split but it would be just a little puff of water no explosions.i would try to pressurize with water and tap around the edges like the body guys say. Never done it though.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Apply a few pounds of air pressure and warm the dented area with a heat gun, no flames that way.

29. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Not sure I understand how this started a fire. Were you using hydrogen, methane, or acetylene to pressurize the tire?

30. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Let's settle this! Either:

a) Send me the tank, I'll cut the end off, remove the dent, and weld it back together, for $50.

b) Go to the next swap meet, and buy a straight, oval Model T tank for $20 (typical price).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    clem and czuch like this.