Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lions Drag Strip in 1959

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

And another – maybe 20 years ago I saw a battery-powered red roadster with Harrel Engines on the hood cruising around the Pomona swap meet. I asked the guy if it was the famous roadster. He didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I told him what I remembered, got his address, and months later gave him the Drag News with the roadster on the cover. I don't think he was impressed. I felt I'd done a good deed – haven't done another one since.

Stan Back

Bowtie Coupe and lurker mick like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-2-23_4-9-31.png
    Police presence at Lions

Hello,

In going through my drag racing films and cleaning out my memory banks, I came across an interesting item in the background of a 1959 drag racing film. I needed some footage for a video presentation on Lions Dragstrip for the early February "Legends of Lions" event in Bixby Knolls.

It was the Paul Nicolini/Joe Mailliard, Sidewinder coming back from being push started and out pops a black and white car in the background. As I was editing the original footage for a lengthened film for the display. I was trying to tie it in with the topic and I kept noticing something in the background that I had never noticed before.

In all of the years we had been going to Lions, we never saw a black and white police car anywhere in the whole Lions Dragstrip compound. Either we were too busy racing, getting prepped for the next round or too heavily involved with the whole drag racing pits area and race cars. One would think that with the tons of spectators weekly, there would be more of a police presence.

It was a mystery. I was even standing in the same area near the Lion's orange timing tower to get some close up action shots later in 1960, those black and whites were no where to be found. The famous white, Pontiac ambulance was always parked there, but no local police of any kind. Even if there were no Long Beach Policemen or cars, what about private security?
    upload_2019-2-23_4-17-59.png
    Jnaki

But, in a recent You Tube film that I made, I saw a flash of a motorcycle policeman with an insignia and helmet, get out of the way of a couple of FED race cars coming off of the starting line.
    upload_2019-2-23_4-18-45.png
    Scuderia vs ???

So, they were either drag race fans of the manager or just happened to be cruising by for a visit. The sight of a police car/motorcycle across from the spectator’s side was/is a shock, but it was all for spectator/racer’s safety. It was the only one on all of our Lions Dragstrip films.

I did meet some private security guys on August 14, 1960, when we went back to pick up our damaged, 1940 Willys Coupe still wedged into the fence, on the following Sunday morning. They were there all night as a courtesy from the Lion's management.

3. drumyn29

drumyn29

I stopped watching T.V. shows a few years back but lately I have been watching old racing videos on youtube ON my T.V. at night before bed. Are those Lions videos yours? MAN it was such a great time back then. I'm seriously considering buying a slow 50's dragster just for the hell of it.

jnaki likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,

WOW, you have so much going on your Willys Coupe thread... It is impressive and great work.

Most of the old drag racing films from Lions on You Tube is taken and posted from my digital files. (there are some Lions films, but none filmed with 16mm color and only a few during the 1958-60 era, so far.) I had filmed them back in 1958-60 and one clip from 1964. I was given the “JOB” of filming on the days my brother and I went there in his 1958 Impala to race. He raced and I filmed, as I was only 14.

He wanted to see himself racing and see if anything could be improved for more wins in the class. (He got mad, but I told him his starts were awfully slower than most. The 58 Impala made up for it with the power it had to catch and pass others in the ¼ mile. )

The filming originally was the 58 Impala only, but I could not let our favorites from the other classes go by without some shots. So, those original 16mm color films were shown at home, usually a week later to the cheers of all of our friends. In those days, a huge movie screen was popped up and everyone had a great time watching them in the living room, even my dad. Over the years, those set up and tear downs of the 16mm movie paraphernalia got old, really fast, so the films lay dormant in the file boxes over the many years since.

In 2015, they were converted from 16mm color film reels directly to a flash drive. I did not know what they were since the last time I saw them was a VHS tape (which has disappeared over the years) VHS tapes were the only way to get any movies transferred in those newer, but still old days. The labels said Lions Dragstrip on the steel film reel cans.
    upload_2019-2-25_5-39-24.png
    I viewed them on my computer, but did not know how to edit, as I was so overjoyed at having something visually representing our times at Lions. But, I was a novice with You Tube, so I sent a total copy to Don Ewald of WDIFL to post on his website. I had no idea that I could edit them in various stages or years or even race classes. So, he posted them on You Tube under Lions 1959 and it pops up with Howard Johansen's Twin Bear on the screen.
    That long film has all of the years: 1958, 59, 60, on them.
    upload_2019-2-25_5-41-18.png
    Then, I was so happy it was on You Tube, that I decided to send them to Ryan on the HAMB. He was happy and decided to showcase them as is. Well, for me, it was fabulous that everyone got to see what we did and what we experienced over the years. But, something was not right. I kept seeing some clips that did not fit the time or year.

There were some later 1960 films interspersed with the 58/59 clips. I apologized to Ryan
    So, I finally started my film editing as a result of those initial errors. I appreciated that he gave me the space to present the old, historic films that I took so long ago. Editing is still going on today, with newer versions cut to fit the need of various websites and events. But, only when time permits from our “hectic” daily schedule…ha!

Jnaki

I like your thread on the Willys coupe build. You have done some amazing work. Kudos to you… Ours was not so extensive. Our needed a total wet sand, no filler, remove the chrome and spray a primer to start. Back in those days, most “backyard finds” did not have 30+ years of aging, so the whole car was in today’s world, a pristine version of an old 1940 Willys Coupe. Doing some chassis, firewall, drive train mods, upgrade brakes, install the new SBC stuff and we were ready to drive down the street. But, it took several long months to get everything in place the right way for the times.

Also, the sad thing is/was, in today’s values, is what we left as junk in the surplus wrecking yard in Wilmington, near Lions in 1960. Our damaged 40 Willys Coupe would have most people rolling over in nightmares with what we left in that driveway lot. Everything was pristine, with the exception of the pushed back grille, bumpers, and slight damage to the front fenders. That chain link fencing did its intended job to protect spectators and it actually flexed enough to wedge our Willys coupe in place with some physical damage.

Our friend, Atts Ono, was in the early stages of his pristine build of his own 40 Willys Coupe. But, when given the choice of the whole coupe or spare parts, he declined as it gave him/us, the “willies” with how it all ended and my brother’s recovery process.
    upload_2019-2-25_5-45-47.png upload_2019-2-25_5-46-4.png

Ron Funkhouser and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Junjii, I managed to miss this great thread. Great because of your fantastic footage and memories. Thanks!

jnaki likes this.
  6. drumyn29

drumyn29

I can't think of the driver of the Surfers car but I think he died in a crash. Does anyone know about the wreck?

7. Mike Snively drove for the Surfers, tragically he committed suicide in 1974.

Mick

8. drumyn29

drumyn29

Does Mike have a son named Rick? I used to race a Door slammer car 15 years ago before I got into gassers against a bad ass driver named rick snively.

We all thought that his dad died in a boat racing accident. Doubt if it's the same guy.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  9. drumyn29

drumyn29

Does anyone know why he killed himself?

10. drumyn29

drumyn29

I was emailing a good friend of mine today Mark Engle. I was telling him how Engle was SO important to a group of racers called the "Surfers" back in the 60's. This is what he wrote back to me:

Surfers were Santa Monica boys, who were tight with my dad. There was these 2 big pieces of wood in the office for EVER. I never knew what they were but they were nice, and big, made of mahogany. When we closed down and cleaning out I was going to throw these things away, my brother told me they were the molds for the scoop on the surfers car! I contacted another pal who worked on the car, he was there in a heart beat and got the patters back to Tom Jobe, who then repaired them a little and they cast another scoop for the current re-make of the Surfers car. Good thing I didn't throw those old pieces of wood away, but I worked around them not knowing what they were for EVER!!!!! Mark Engle
    53037383_2333251043351835_6870076236090048512_n.jpg 53039152_2333251026685170_4131475590601506816_n.jpg 53203741_2333250986685174_4834627016164638720_n.jpg 53220916_2333250993351840_7688670696032960512_n.jpg

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hey S,
    Sorry, I did not get back to your post with a reply. Yes, the Tapia Bros did beat the Art Afrons Green Monster. It was called: "Bobby Slays the Green Monster." In 1959 in a highly publicized match race, Bobby Tapia in the Tapia Bros SBC race car called “Almost Grown” beat Art Afrons in the big Green Monster #11.

upload_2019-5-25_9-47-19.png
    FROM THE TAPIA BROTHERS COLLECTION
    In my further research, I was able to get in contact with one of the Tapia Brothers. Some more information popped up that I applied to another thread on the HAMB. It is relevant here, too, since it took place at Lions Dragstrip. Sorry, I did not get any films of the actual race. But, the photograph was pretty popular, then and now.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...picture-thread.228509/page-1925#post-13040659

Jnaki
    I did film the Green Monster #11 at Lions during the 1959 time period when they first came out to demonstrate the huge race car.
    Green Monster at Lions.

I do not know why I did not film the race between the "Almost Grown" (race car name) of the Tapia Bros FED vs the Green Monster #11. It must have been an Impala race day and we did not bring the movie camera.

EXTRA: Lefty Mudersbach did do a wheelie in that film. But, it looks like it cost him the race. Which was a rare event back in those days for the twin Chevy FED.
    upload_2019-5-25_10-24-3.png
    Lefty Mudersbach wheelie

12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-7-3_3-52-35.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_CPvOp5tYA
    1958-59 Lions Reath Sedan vs Herman Bros Olds powered roadster

Hello,

These two drag racing competitors were always going against each other at Lions in these early days. They were two of the top Altered/Modified Roadster competition cars that we saw every week. The white, Reath Automotive Altered Sedan vs the hot, Modified Roadster of the Herman Brothers was always a race to see and enjoy. The builds were outstanding and so were the performances. One of the things that stood our from our seats in the Lion’s spectator side bleachers was the bright red logo of the Mr. Horsepower woodpecker sign on the side of the blue roadster.
    upload_2019-7-3_3-56-54.png

“Clay was a hyper person and was always on the go. He always had a cigar in his mouth. That image of the woodpecker with red hair smoking the cigar is a caricature of Smith, who had a full head of red hair. It was one of the first registered trademarks.”

“A camshaft is the heart and lungs of an engine. If an engine doesn’t have the right cam, it just won’t run right.”

Jnaki

My brother introduced me to Clay Smith Cams because he wanted to put one in his 1951 Oldsmobile 2 door sedan for some street action and at Lions.. He had dreams of making his first car purchase, in 1956, a fast one and Clay Smith was the answer. We all liked the version of the Woody Woodpecker style decals and logo images, so he thought those cams would make his 51 Olds motor fast, faster than his friend with a 34 Ford Coupe and Olds motor. A lot of the local racers used Clay Smith Cams, secretly or out in the open at Lions.
    upload_2019-7-3_3-55-27.png
    The Clay Smith Cams shop in the Westside of Long Beach was 4 blocks from our last Long Beach house. It was definitely a bicycle ride away. They stayed there, until a move to the Signal Hill area off of Spring Street. Now, after all of these years, they still have their shop in Buena Park, CA. (several blocks from the airport and about 3 miles from Knotts Berry Farm.)

Another one of the Clay Smith Cams sponsored drag racers was Glen Stokey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crVDHXMNcFc

His FED was always in the running for Top Eliminator. If anything, it stood out with the bright red paint and the woodpecker logo. The people in the stands that did not know Glen Stokey, identified with the red, woodpecker dragster.

Bowtie Coupe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

Mike Sorokin drove for the Surfers and was killed in a horrific wreck. He had a son Adam who was involved in the recreation of the Surfers AA/FD. Mike Snively at one time drove for the Hawaiian racing team among others and did commit suicide.

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-7-5_4-17-29.png (The White)
    Poodle skirts, anyone?

Hello,

In 1959, there was an unusual trophy presentation for the Leffler-Loukas Competition Coupe at Lions Dragstrip. It was planned for an intermission between the trial runs and the start of the eliminations. It actually seemed like a late lunch break for us.
    upload_2019-7-5_4-19-10.png
    trophy presentation

Jnaki

It was a very different build of race car that the West Coast drag racers had never seen before. It was the Midwest terrors that had made the move to So Cal and we all were impressed.

Then a few months later in Bakersfield, the Competiton Coupe continued their races against the best in the West.
    upload_2019-7-5_4-20-18.png
    BAKERSFIELD

15. drumyn29

drumyn29

Too cool!

jnaki likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    One of my favorite race cars from Lions is obviously the Sidewinder. When the Joe Mailliard/Paul Nicolini version rolled to the starting line, everyone stood up and watched. That stand up audience was saved for only a few racers because of the popularity of the race car. Tommy Ivo’s Buick powered FEDs are also in that category. They were the race cars and races that people came to see every weekend.

It just seemed like it was every single weekend we were there racing or just taking a spectator’s break, those two cars were always there. We knew Joe Mailliard was located several blocks from our Westside of Long Beach house, but Tommy Ivo came all the way from LA to race every weekend.

We were always impressed with both styles of race cars.

Tommy Ivo single engine Buick injected and 671 supercharged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-2omkY70_4

The Sidewinder compilation from 1959-60 with original 1959 Sidewinder “sound”:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vevILoR2rRs

Jnaki

In a recent communication with a friend, the discussion was about Tommy Ivo vs. the Sidewinder. We may have seen the races, but did not get a film of the 671 Buick vs the Sidewinder back then.

“It was/is one of my favorites too. I had to laugh when Jack told me the story about Ivo's comments the first time he saw the restored version. Jack asked him if he remembered the car, Ivo looked at it and answered, "No," then walked behind the Winder and said "Now I remember it." Everyone had a good laugh.

Lee...

Tommy Ivo, always a great guy and historian.

upload_2019-7-22_2-50-59.png
    The current version of the Sidewinder is owned by Jack Gillett

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-induction-thread.1042950/page-78

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I was reading a very old thread about early roadsters. Then the idea of someone with knowledge should still be on the HAMB for verified information on my films taken in 1959-60 at Lions. I was trying to clarify information on several modified roadsters from Lions in 1959-60 era from my films. Several looked the same, had identifying markers and were easy to recognize and identify. But, some were popular, were regulars and remain unidentified to this day, 61 years later.

1959 Lions Dragstrip
    identified all but the first one with scallops and a flathead ...
    upload_2020-2-23_16-37-35.png
    Information needed: Owner, class at Lions, motor, builder, etc.

Several others: need information and identification…
    at :12 blue roadster vs Hunter, Hill, Acala

Grist Bros Willys vs unknown Willys Coupe A/Gas

If you have any verified information and facts from resources other than, “a guy I used to know, knew a friend who stood next to the racer, etc.” A grandfather, uncle, dad, or mom, etc anyone with verified information is welcome. Please contact me via HAMB conversation tab.

Thank you,

Jnaki
    upload_2020-2-23_16-46-51.png

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-23_4-17-40.png
    Hello,

The drag racing at Lions Dragstrip was full of the top racers in So Cal during the 1959 season. The racers included, the Tommy Ivo Buick camp, the Kenny Lindley/Don Hampton front mount FED, the Sidewinder, the Dragmaster Group, Glen Stokey, and of course, the Brown, Frank, Weddle Olds powered FED. Each week, one or the other would put on a show to win the Top Eliminator Trophy and notoriety.

We had watched the Brown/Frank/Weddle Olds powered FED run like a top, come off of the line with super quickness and look good doing it. (To the disappointment of their opponents.) They were on top for quite a few weeks of running during the year.
    upload_2020-5-23_4-18-21.png 1959
    We could not wait until that FED came to the starting line to race against another well know race car at Lions.
    upload_2020-5-23_4-19-10.png from @296ardun

“Dick Harryman stands over the blown Olds in the Brown, Frank and Harryman in the Joe Itow-chassied dragster, in the driveway of his house. This car was one of the first, if not the first, to break 150 on gas. Later it set the gas record of 157 mph at San Fernando. Tom Beatty blower drive. “

Jnaki

Here is the later version of the record holder from Dick Harryman, Mickey Brown and Nye Frank. Lions Dragstrip 1959
    upload_2020-5-23_4-20-26.png
    His battles at Lions Dragstrip were epic. The most sought after match up was against the Joe Mailliard/Paul Nicolini’s Sidewinder race car. These exciting events all led to the tragic end for Mickey Brown in different FED.
    1959 Lions MICKEY BROWN vs Sidewinder total

It was a sad memory in late 1959 for all of the racers at Lions Dragstrip and So Cal. Mickey Brown substituted for Mort Smith on a fateful Sept. 12 night in 1959 at Lions and was killed in the different dragster, when it overturned.

In the drag news 1959 AN EXCERPT FROM MORT SMITH OF ENGLE CAMS:

upload_2020-5-23_4-22-18.png upload_2020-5-23_4-22-29.png
    "Mickey Brown"
    "Born: July 26, 1937 Died: September 12, 1959 Age: 22"

"Michael Daryl Brown Lions Drag Strip, Wilmington, California Accident Date: September 12, 1959"

"Car: Scrima-Adams-Smith Olds-powered dragster"

"Biographical: Ronnie Scrima and Mort Smith were testing a new short wheelbase (93") dragster at Lions. They had dropped Gene Adams's Oldsmobile engine in the car, but were having a hard time getting it down the track. Mickey Brown had left his own Olds-powered dragster at home and he offered to see if he could drive the car."

"About 100 feet from the starting line, he lost control and flipped upside down, suffering fatal injuries because his head got outside the confines of the roll bar. He was transported to Seaside Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. His wife witnessed the crash. Racers remembered him as a kind of wild, but fun-loving kid. He was the first man to go over 150 MPH in a gas dragster."

upload_2020-5-23_4-33-33.png
    Lions Dragstrip Museum Memorial Wall: Mickey Brown 2nd from right, top row… Great artwork by Cindy Gibbs…
    upload_2020-5-23_4-34-41.png

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  19. 296ardun

296ardun

What a great story, these guys were legends!

elgringo71, Bowtie Coupe and jnaki like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-10-24_7-22-45.png
    Hello,

In 1959, there were a few Ford sedans still racing in the stock car division. The ones with the stock Paxton Centrifugal Superchargers were impressive with the hood raised in the pits. They were very competitive in our class. They had been around since 1957, but, as all drag racing history goes, the newer models were coming out with more accessories and more power.

So, the past winners were having a rough time as a centrifugal supercharged 57 Ford in a stock car class vs a newer 1958 Chevy 348/280 hp or 315 hp Impalas?
    57 Ford vs 58 impala

One of the most competitive cars was the centrifugal supercharged 57 Ford in the A/Stock class at Lions. By late 1959, the newest 1959 Chevy Impalas with 335 hp and 4 speeds were the top dogs and it was hard to compete with them one on one. But, we had to give credit to this little 57 Ford in challenging the big 335 El Camino in the half-time entertainment “LeMans” races. We were used to seeing the top 58 Chevy sedans go against some of the top 59 Impalas where the horsepower was somewhat close during our time in the stcok car class racing.

58 Chevy VS 59 Chevy

Jnaki

To take on one of the fastest 1959 chevys let alone it being a 335hp and 4 speed El Camino vs 300hp and 3 speed Ford was a challenge to say the least. It took a lot of courage to go against a 335 hp 4 speed El Camino. Lets say the advantage would have been for the 57 Ford to get a good lead in the run across the track and a great start.

He did get a slight lead, but, that never happened and the 59 El Camino was virtually too powerful. The rest of the half time entertainment was another LeMans race, a 59 Chevy sedan vs the same 59 El Camino. There was no stopping this El Camino on this day in 1959.

The story is part of the thank you to Bob Goggle Films from 1959. The rare footage of the Lion’s Dragstrip LeMans races are classic and a historic part of the Lions mystique. Thanks, Bob… your film is a classic representation of the style and happenings at Lions back then.

excerpt from Bob Goggle films LeMans

elgringo71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/allison-v-12s-how-many-racers-used-them.265201/page-3#post-13735396

Hello,

The records and historic posts have proven the consistency of fast drag racing builds. There have been plenty of photos and articles about the win of the Tapia Brothers low slung FED racing against the giant Green Monster at Lion’s Dragstrip in 1959.

Yet, in another historic research for more missing information for my films, I came across this ad from Chassis Research owned by Scott Fenn.
    upload_2021-1-2_5-8-30.png

Jnaki

We had to have been in the stands for the race without the 16mm movie camera. It must have been an Impala race day. We just got caught up being spectators in the bleachers, to watch the races between the small injected SBC Tapia Brothers FED against the Allison powered Green Monster. The Allison powered build was pretty impressive, but, we all like the underdog in any form of competition. The memory was one race, but now, there were two races with the results being the same. Bobby slays the Green Monster, TWICE!
    upload_2021-1-2_5-9-43.png
    From the Tapia Brothers collection. Thanks, Richard

elgringo71 likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-31_4-42-15.png
    1956 Drag News "Classlane system," cars are run when a lane needs to be cleaned.

upload_2021-8-31_4-18-42.png
    1959 The Classlane System at Lion’s Dragstrip Pits

Hello,

When we started racing, like all other competitors, we were told which lanes to get into as per class. For us it started with the 58 Impala in the A/Stock designation.
    upload_2021-8-31_4-18-14.png
    As shown, the A/stock class was lumped with the F/stock class that had higher horsepower sedans and those classes being the most populous of the total classes. It was fun because the next lanes over were the modified coupes and dragsters. But our lane, A/Stock was almost full all of the time, until it was cleared.
    upload_2021-8-31_4-19-32.png
    When they opened the gates, the Chevy sedans crowded the starting line area. It was nice to get to know the guy who opened the gates. He had the authority to see which lanes were full and needed to be cleaned out. Sometimes, when the other lanes had a couple, because we knew the guy, he would open the gate for us to get to the starting line.

In late 1959 and through 1960, when we had the 1940 Willys Coupe (carbs only) and then the 671 coupe pushing into the lanes, it was for B/C/Gas, he would open the gate, so we could head straight for the starting line, then fire up.)

upload_2021-8-31_4-23-19.png
    Sometimes, during the Impala lanes being empty, we made a run and then immediately after the timing slips were picked up, got back into the A/Stock lanes again. After the gate was opened and the A/Stock Class had their runs, the lane was almost deserted as the cars went to the pits. But, sometimes, it was the best time to get back into the lane for another high performance run.

Check out the black 1958 Impala coming back into the A/Stock lane from the return road at the Lion’s Dragstrip pits. A
    silver FED in the pits staging/firing up lane Impala in the background.

1959 Lion's Dragstrip staging lane

Jnaki

The Drag News reported that the Lion’s Dragstrip tower officials never called a class to come to the staging lanes. It was up to the gate person to clear out the lanes to keep the competition running smoothly. During the eliminations, it was the same policy. We think he had a list with the classes in the order of eliminations.

Classlane system at Lion’s Dragstrip…

upload_2021-8-31_4-38-41.png The gatekeeper pointing, far right

0:45 to 0:47 Lion's Dragstrip Gatekeeper.

elgringo71 and lurker mick like this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-8-1_9-9-19.png July 25, 1959

Hello,

My brother was getting better results from the 58 Impala in the timed runs and eliminations. He was concentrating on getting faster/quicker starts, since the cars are of equal power from the factory. He had been improving by making a run, coming back to the pits, getting rested and then heading back for the class lanes and another run.

But, on several occasions, he did this repeatedly to get back in line and race as much as he was able to do in one day, before the eliminations.
    upload_2022-8-1_9-12-56.png 1959
    Sometimes, he immediately after the timing slips were picked up, got back into the A/Stock lanes again. After the gate was opened and the A/Stock Class had their runs, the lane was almost deserted as the cars went to the pits. But, sometimes, it was the best time to get back into the lane for another high performance run. I was waiting for him to come back to the pits for a break, but, as I was walking back along the pit’s staging lane filming an SBC powered dragster, I saw his 58 Impala make a quick turn back into the A/Stock lane for another run.
    upload_2022-8-1_9-18-53.png

Jnaki

On this day August 1, 1959, for the second week in a row, something must have paid off. He won a trophy last week on July 25 and something kept him charged up for this week’s races. So, 63 years later, on the same day, I found this report in the Drag News weekly paper. He won his second consecutive week of racing and bringing home a trophy for the A/Stock class races.

Aug 1, 1959 Two weeks with straight wins

upload_2022-8-1_9-21-7.png

I checked in the following week’s results from 1959 and despite the better E.T. times, he did not win the A/Stock class.

lurker mick and elgringo71 like this.
  24. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Mention Lions and just let @jnaki run wild. Once again, he has pictures, great information, time slips, race results, and firsthand spectator/participant remarks.
    Outstanding!

Speed Gems and jnaki like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-8-30_3-32-53.png

Hello,

What I discovered in my filming locations was used by the professional photographers. Look at what I had to compete with versus the pros. This guy with a cig in his mouth was using a era specific slimline 4x5 bellows press camera. Think of a huge negative for each photo.

But, unless he was taking those crystal clear, “Getty Images,” where are those early drag racing photos, today? The big camera looks like an early version of a bellows Polaroid Camera with the pull out center lens section. The spot was right in front of the orange timing tower, where my friend, Mr. Childers and the white Pontiac ambulance was usually parked.
    upload_2022-8-30_3-34-3.png Mr. Childers and his custom, 1953 Pontiac Ambulance with the orange timing tower in the background.

It was good for starting line shots and that was short on the movie end, too. The action went by so fast standing in that location. Sometimes, the recorded powerful runs could not be "panned" without being a little shaky. Between the runs, I was able to talk to Mr.Childers about the racers and of all things, his particular job from his ringside seat location.
    upload_2022-8-30_3-46-40.png
    summer 1959 film, late summer 1959 original sound

Jnaki

It was a good place and my brother thought so, too. But, the Lion’s Dragstrip security kept yelling at me to get out of there, even though I was talking to Mr. Childers.
    upload_2022-8-30_3-50-22.png
    1958-59 Lion's Dragstrip the two brothers in deep conversation with Mr. Childers.

Note: Perhaps, I was a few years too early for my standard filming episodes. A nice 35 mm film camera would have been nice and the odd thing was, when our dad “really” got into the whole family film adventures, he went out and bought a nice 16mm color movie camera that looked like a copy of Mickey Mouse.

The large ears were the 16mm reel location on top of the movie camera. It had a wonderful telephoto lens and sound recording technology. I could have been a movie producer!!! Hot Rod, Motorcycle Racing, Drag Racing and tons of surf films…Yikes.

Our 35mm film camera adventures did not arrive until 1966. But, by then, we had already moved on to our next episode of our lives. Think of the large color & B/W photos I could have taken if I had that huge 4x5 bellows professional camera back then... Wowee!

elgringo71 likes this.
  26. Got Metal?

Got Metal?

View attachment 5732947 View attachment 5732947

27. jnaki

jnaki

@Got Metal?

Hello,
    What are the attachments? I cannot get an image upon clicking on the icons. Where do they come from?

Jnaki

If I have the attachments from my own posts, I will send them again. Sometimes the website does funny things to posted photos.

28. Got Metal?

Got Metal?

Hi Janke, Might you be familiar with this car? I'm struggling to sort out posting and comments on here, need to stay under my welding helmet. This is an image from the 1959 NHRA Nationals in Detroit, I have the car body but little information on it. 1959 NHRA Nationals Detroit.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2023
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Thanks for thinking of me and this old time period in drag racing. Yes, we went to the Riverside Raceway Drag Race event in December of 1959. It was in the club's neighborhood in So Cal. all of the biggest names in drag racing from all over the USA were in attendance. But, in checking all of my films from that day, no photos or action shots of the roadster.

Then I checked my LP album recorded from the 1959 U.S. Nationals in Detroit to see if the Modified Roadster was one of the listed recordings. As good as the whole LP album is/was, there was no listing for the Stratorods modified roadster. digital conversion made it easy to listen to each track to go along with the printed listings.
    upload_2023-5-20_4-31-34.jpeg
    Finally, I went through the complete film of the 1960 Bakersfield Smokers March Meet #2 in 1960 and again, a couple of Modified Roadsters, but not the Stratorods version.

JNaki

I also will go through my old Lion's Dragstrip films, as they show cased the same time period of drag racing. But, if the memory is still sharp, I cannot remember that Modified Roadster among the recorded Modified Roadsters that were very popular in the local So Cal area.

30. Got Metal?

Got Metal?