Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear wheels move in and out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crapnowwhat?, Feb 23, 2019.

1. crapnowwhat?

crapnowwhat?

No, not that. See reply to Crazy Steve above. Bolted angle iron to hub with no wheel and it still did it. Push in at top and pull out at bottom and it moves. Feels like in the 3rd member. I just want to know how weird this might be.

2. crapnowwhat?

crapnowwhat?

I'm not explaining the problem right. The bearings are almost new and are tight. No up and down or in and out movement. THE PROBLEM is that you can tip the tire/wheel in and out if you grab it at top and bottom and the movement has to be coming from the 3rd member. Either there is slop in the carrier bearings (should have said spider gears) or slop in the splines. My question should have been better explained. I just wondered if any of you guys had experienced this before. The tire/wheel don't move if you grab it left and right and try to get it to move. Only if you push in at the top and pull out at the bottom of the tire, or vice versa. Does that explain it better? Now I'm worried that it will work on the bearings and they can crack the rings or let the axle work out of the housing. Just wondering if this movement could be considered normal on a used third member. Axle splines look okay. Haven't dropped the 3rd member out yet. Don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

3. hoop

hoop

I had a 9 inch do that. Axle gears were loose in the carrier.

4. OK......I'm not familiar with the suspension on you car, I was assuming leaf springs with posibly worn shackels/bushings, and if the car was on jack stands on the frame and a floor jack under the center of differential, that the added leverage you got with the angle iron might have been enough to rock the dif. back and forth. Especially with the no movement left to right, only up and down. I'll go back to sleep now.

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Tear it down to parade rest and inspect it, its not safe to drive anyway. All this conjecture is just foreplay anyway...lol. The real pleasure is getting greasy and fixin' sumpin'.

6. crapnowwhat?

crapnowwhat?

Excellent advice. I'll be back to you guys in May when I have time to mess with it.

7. 270bob

270bob

Hello, I am located south of Breen, not to far from Dolores. Look me up if you need help. I will be rebuilding my 8 inch Ford soon, my pinion bearing is bad. Good luck.

8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

From your explanation, it's got to be the axles entering the side gears being loose

9. sdluck

sdluck

So what was it?

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Peg Leg burn out's.