Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Saving a 54 Mercury Custom 2 Door Sedan Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The 39 guy, Dec 31, 2015.

1. 204carcrazy

204carcrazy

I'm finally current on your build and want to assure you we are reading your posts . Your explanation and pictures are excellent . You have provided and explained a lot of useful ideas that will help others . Your rad install and remake of side panels to allow larger rad is one of my favourites . Thanks for taking the time to post this , Jim.

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you!

Thank you loudbag! It has been a long build and I was thinking last week that it will be much nicer than a new 54 Merc when it is done.

Thanks Joel, It is just another one of those little details that take a lot of time but add to making the car unique and well detailed.

Here is another project that went well.
    IMG_3477R.jpg IMG_3478R.jpg IMG_3480R.jpg
    IMG_3481R.jpg

IMG_3482R.jpg
    The door latch mechanisms were in pretty good shape. They just needed some clean up
    and a new coat of lithium grease.
    IMG_3483R.jpg
    The strikers pretty ugly. The drivers side one had suffered some abuse due to a misaligned door.
    IMG_3484R.jpg IMG_3485R.jpg
    Patience ,steel wool, files, sand paper and a buffer made for some better looking pieces.
    IMG_3487R.jpg
    Don told me after I was finished with these that he can order a new one...... I think he will replace the drives side piece.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Parking lights needed a little clean up. IMG_3491R.jpg
    IMG_3492R.jpg
    These light light sockets had been modified in the past. The lenses were very cloudy but
    could have been cleaned and used.
    IMG_3647R.jpg
    Don was able to find a new lens kit.The housing were re-chromed.
    IMG_3648R.jpg
    The back sides were painted semigloss black and the fronts were painted a gloss white
    for better reflective qualities.

brEad, 1959Nomad and loudbang like this.
  4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you 204carcrazy! That radiator support mod was challenging and fun. It's one of those time consuming modifications that came out well enough that no one notices when they look at the car. I guess that means it came out well....

loudbang likes this.
  5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Wing windows.....quite a project. I took a lot of pictures of this process. It took a few days to get the stainless frames polished but the rest of the project move along a a steady pace.
    IMG_3578R.jpg
    Here is what we started with. Pretty rusty and no fuzzy stuff left in the channels
    IMG_3586R.jpg
    The rubber was pretty brittle.
    IMG_3589R.jpg
    IMG_3600R.jpg
    There are a lot pieces to on of these assemblies.

IMG_3608R.jpg
    After bead blasting and paint the new rubber seal went in very easy.
    IMG_3609R.jpg
    The fuzzy rail was delivered a little long and with no holes , so I had to use the old one as a pattern.
    IMG_3610R.jpg
    I found a piece of wood that fit the slot. I found that if I did not have the wood in the
    slot that the fuzz lining would push out into the slot and some time tare making for a
    a damaged fuzzy liner. I forgot to take pictures of the process we used to attach the
    vertical fuzzy channel to the wing window. 3/16" rivets were used for some parts.
    These had to be flattened in the channel so that they would not stick out of the fuzz liner
    and scratch or break the glass.Small screws shown at the end of this post were also used
    to attach the vertical to the wing window.
    IMG_3613R.jpg
    Getting there. I did one at a time so I could have the other one to compare throughout the
    the restoration process.
    IMG_3623R.jpg
    These little rivets are used to hold the steel backed rubber seal the seals the wing window
    when closed.
    IMG_3624R.jpg
    This seal.Notice the channel is inserted onto a piece of steel stock. This was used for an
    anvil when the brass rivet was set.
    IMG_3625R.jpg

IMG_3626R.jpg
    I taped the rivets in place so I could keep them there while I places the stainless channel
    over the steel anvil.
    IMG_3627R.jpg

IMG_3631R.jpg
    I started the setting of the rivet with small centering punch.
    IMG_3632R.jpg
    I then moved on to using a center punch. It was difficult to keep the rivet spreading evenly
    during this process.
    IMG_3634R.jpg
    Last I used a larger centering punch (not shown) to flatten the rivet head out. There
    were four of these rivets for each seal. Fortunately the shipped two extras in the seal kit.
    It was easy to screw up a rivet using this method but since we lacked the proper tools
    this method had do. I am just thankful you can still buy the seal for this vintage of car.
    IMG_3637R.jpg
    This is the kit we used
    IMG_3629R.jpg
    I took the wing window latch off so I could clean and polish it. Here the parts. I had to
    replace the pin.
    IMG_3630R.jpg
    If you are wondering about the glass, We thought it was best to leave the old glass in
    the frame while we did the sanding and buffing of the stainless frame. So far it has worked
    out well. We will see what kind of condition they are in when the glass cutter gets done removing
    the old glass and installing the new glass.
    IMG_3635R.jpg
    Here is a new trick (for me) that I tried this time. When bead blasting little screws like
    this are almost impossible to hold and clean. So I inserted them in this brass screen.
    It worked great for blasting and painting.

It may seem like a posted a lot of pictures for this project. There should have been more
    but I got caught up in the project and forgot to take pictures of many of the steps of this
    wing window restoration. As I may have said before these 50's cars have a lot more
    to restore than a prewar Ford. Restoration of the window assemblies is a lot of work but interesting.

Attached Files:

40LUV, brEad, 1959Nomad and 2 others like this.
  6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to go , Sam. I've been dreading the vent window rubber for a long time. They look as nice as the rest of the car. About 1 more week and I should be working on my vent windows.... or maybe 2 weeks.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Great job on the vent windows. I did some mid-70’s truck ones. Wish I had seen this then. I really like the tip on using the screen to hold the small screws! I’ll be using that one.

loudbang likes this.
  8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Joel! did you get to those vent windows yet?

Thanks brEad! That screen thing really does work well for us. We had to revisit the wing windows again. When we sent them to the glass guys to remove the old glass and install the new they sent one back with a a broken handle stem. Just so happens it was the one I had removed the handle on for cleaning......

Well I thought we would have a difficult time finding a replacement for that part but Don was able to find a brand new one! Surprised the heck out of me....
    IMG_3704R.jpg
    The part just required a short time at the buffing wheel to bring up a little shine.
    It is held on by three brass rivets. We were able to set the rivets the same way we did the other
    rivets on this assembly. Don also has ordered a new handle for this but it has not arrived yet.
    IMG_3705R.jpg IMG_3707R.jpg
    Just a new picture of the finished product with the new glass.

IMG_3653R.jpg
    here is a small project I did recently. This is a seal that goes on the the valance just behind
    the front bumper. It straddles the bumper supports This was a part we could not find reproduced.
    They were originallyinstalled with large staples.
    IMG_3655R.jpg
    We had some 1/8 rubber gasket we had used on some other applications so I copied the
    dimensions as best I could and cut out the replacements.
    IMG_3658R.jpg

IMG_3659R.jpg
    I used Aluminum rivets to attach them to the body panel. I think we could have gotten by
    without installing these but they were simple to reproduce and fairly easy to install, so why not?

IMG_3649R.jpg
    The new electric wiper motor has been installed and I finished installing the rest of the
    Dyna Mat on the firewall. we will hold off on installing the rest of the Dynamat on the floor
    Until we are finished wit the headliner and wiring. I found that the insulation can get smashed
    when you crawl around on it a lot and it tends to ooze black goo all over your cloths. We apply
    tape at all seams in the overhead applications to keep the goo from escaping there and probably
    should do that on the floor and firewall also.

Well that's it for now, we have been working on the glass install and door seals but I am
    not ready to report on that yet.

Hivolt5.0, loudbang, Latigo and 2 others like this.
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The little things:

IMG_3660R.jpg
    Things like this are real time eaters
    IMG_3661R.jpg
    The good news is that we had all of the old window channel to work with. The usual news
    is that it all had to be replaced.
    IMG_3667R.jpg
    This rear window channel had many pieces that had to be removed from the the channel,
    cleaned and painted.
    IMG_3668R.jpg
    Theses rock guards eventually received about one weeks worth of labor to reclaim them
    for further use. This is early on in the refinishing process. The creases and big dents
    have been removed and sanding is underway.
    IMG_3670R.jpg
    IMG_3693R.jpg

Finished guards.
    IMG_3672R.jpg
    Rear window channel laidd out
    IMG_3674R.jpg IMG_3678R.jpg
    Sand blasted and painted channel parts. we ended up not using the little locator buttons.
    Epoxy was used to attach the seal to the body.
    IMG_3684R.jpg
    We epoxied the the restored hardware to the new channel
    IMG_3689R.jpg
    After the first bending attempt around that 90 we decided to bend the channel over the new glass.

IMG_3685R.jpg
    Installing the new door seals was a two or three man job.
    IMG_3686R.jpg
    A little protecton to keep the glue off of the new paint.
    IMG_3687R.jpg IMG_3691R.jpg
    The new fuzzy trim was epoxied on
    IMG_3692R.jpg
    The newly installed seals made the doors stick out so some pressure was applied with
    wood and clamps to compress the seals. It took awhile but the doors are fitting good again.
    IMG_3669R.jpg
    A little Mercury bling is installed.
    IMG_3704R.jpg
    One of the wind wing handle stems broke off while the new glass was being installed.
    IMG_3705R.jpg
    Don was able to buy a brass new replacement for it.Three brass rivets came with it and
    were successfullyinstalled using the same methods shown earlier.
    IMG_3707R.jpg
    Stay tuned!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    brEad, loudbang, olscrounger and 2 others like this.
  10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do stainless polishing too? Nice job, Sam. That Merc is going to be better than new.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you Joel,
    Yes we do stainless polishing. It is quite challenging. and we are very slow at it. We probably have hundreds of hours into the trim on this car. It has come out nicely though and will add a lot of bling to the finished car. I would say that this car will be better than new in many ways. It is still an amateur rebuild though but we are proud of what we have accomplished so far.

Anything to report on your coupe? Maybe some pictures from the upholstery shop?

12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No news on upholstery yet. The bottom cushion is supposed to be done and I am supposed to see it this week. My fingers are crossed
    I’m cleaning the window regulators while I wait.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  13. great craftsmanship

loudbang likes this.
  14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Attached Files:

loudbang, brEad and Texas57 like this.
  15. Great job all the way around. Upholstery?

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you Texas 57! We are working on the upholstery. I will post a little on that soon.

loudbang likes this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Nice chrome molding clips. Do they have sections that can be removed? It looks like they are grooved so you can shorten them.

1947knuck likes this.
  18. Not to hijack their thread, but I have used those clips, or tried to. That's exactly what they are. Problem I saw was I thought those "break off" indents left the strip too weak. Probably just me.
    Nice to see they survived all those hours of buffing........it's a dangerous job, but one with very gratifying results when the stuff ends up looking like theirs.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

The clips do have shallow grooves or indentations. I think they are more useful for allowing accurate/equal cuts to be made while shortening them to fit your application.

I ended up cutting the clips to size with my dremel cut off wheel. I don't think they would break off all that easily. Speaking of dangerous, Don bent the final/last piece of interior stainless about 45 degrees off square. We straightened as best we could and figured we would have to live with it. Fortunately we had a friend that attends the local swap meets looking for some parts for us. He found a great source for 54 Mercury parts that we wish we could have known about earlier in the build. We made the 3 hour drive to check out his stash of parts and came home with a replacement for the piece that had been bent and several other treasures. If any of you are looking for 53/54 Mercury parts I would be happy to send you his info if you send a PM. He has an attic full of parts including body panels.

loudbang likes this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I noticed that my recent post only shows up as a quote. So in attempt to straighten that out I did this copy and past to see if it would show up as a regular post with decent size pictures.

Can't believe it has been so long since I posted a progress report. I have a lot of pictures to process and post. Here are a couple of projects that are behind us now.

[​IMG]
    It's time to install the stainless trim. We tried using the plastic push in clips using a piece of aluminum
    but the plastic pieces would not hold the stainless tight to the body.
    [​IMG]
    Don found these universal clips which I had to cut down to fit the trim. They worked well. [​IMG]
    There was one clip location on each fender trim that we had to use the plastic clips because there was no way to get a nut or wrench on the clip inside the fender.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The plastic fitting
    [​IMG]
    This fitting is used at the leading edge of the trim
    [​IMG]
    This was our first try at trim clips before converting to the universal molding clips.
    [​IMG]
    The door interior cards had this slot across the bottom for attachment. We had to come p with a plan since we could not find the original hardware to work in this spot.
    [​IMG]
    With a little experimenting and fabrication we ended up riviting some 18 gauge steel to the wood door card .
    [​IMG]
    It works very well.

[​IMG]
    The original covers for these access holes was cardboard. We used some 1/8" plywood
    to make the new covers.
    [​IMG]
    Heavy mill plastic sheet was cut and glued to the backside of the plywood to protect it from
    moisture.
    IMG_3790R.jpg IMG_3791R.jpg
    [​IMG]
    The door handles were re chromed in Spokane WA. They came out great!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We polished the stainless button and used a new rubber gasket set the install.
    [​IMG]
    The new gasket were not an exact copy so some trimming was required.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like new!
    [​IMG]
    Maybe better than new!

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Photos look fine.

1947knuck likes this.
  22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say better than new,Sam. You guys are taking big steps now. Great work as always.

loudbang likes this.
  23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Joel! I wouldn't say they are great steps but I think we can see the end of the to do list.

Here is a little project I had to to. Both of these kick panel weather strip clamp gizmos were rusted out at the bottom. I couldn't convince Don that we could do without these things so I had to fab up a replacement for each end.

IMG_3772R.jpg
    Each part required several steps and the arsenal of metal shaping tools.

IMG_3773R.jpg
    IMG_3774R.jpg
    I could not figure out a process for putting the small curve at the outside pinching edge.
    But I was able to duplicate everything else with reasonable accuracy.
    IMG_3776R.jpg
    I clamped the original section to some sheet metal and marked the curvature before cutting
    off the old rusty section The I clamped the new section to the steel plate and welded them
    together.
    IMG_3777R.jpg
    IMG_3778R.jpg
    Not perfect but it should do the job. This was another time eater that I avoided doing for
    a long time. I am glad it is behind me.

24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

IMG_3780R.jpg
    Just when I thought we were done with stainless Don brought in these pieces off of the door
    panels. We bead blasted the back sides to get rid of the rust.
    IMG_3782R.jpg
    Talk about flimsy/fragile pieces to polish......I did a lot of the prep but after a few close calls
    I decided Don could be the one that bends theses pieces. He made it to the last piece before
    he bent one. We were able to straighten it out though. We have since found a complete panel
    with like new stainless on it. The PO recommended we polish while it is still on the panel.
    Good advice!
    IMG_3801R.jpg
    We wore out my old Craftsman buffer and bought this one from Eastwood to replace it.
    It has much more torque and two buffing speeds. I had to make some spacers to move the
    the buffing wheels further out on the long shaft. I also made a new stand for it. I put floor
    anchors in so that the short bolts removed and unit can be moved on it's wheeled stand to
    get it out of the way when not in use. It moves around like a hand truck.
    IMG_3783R.jpg
    This is what the original panels looked like.
    IMG_3785R.jpg
    Foil tape was was installed on all of the seams of the roof insulation.
    IMG_3788R.jpg
    Don had the headliner made up by his upholstery guy. After bead blasting and painting
    the headliner bows Don spent several hours sorting out where they needed to go.
    IMG_3789R.jpg
    After considerable thought I think he was having second thoughts about installing this
    headliner himself. But he is not easily intimidated and quite resourceful.
    IMG_3814R.jpg
    The learning process started with some tips from the upholster whom can no longer
    work overhead. Then hours of trial and error, and some more instruction and help
    from a club member that had some experience.
    IMG_3815R.jpg
    The reason for putting in the headliner at this phase of the build is that the headliner must
    go in before the front and back glass rubber seals are installed.
    IMG_3940R.jpg
    The finished headliner Not bad for an amateur.
    IMG_3941R.jpg
    These headliners are a lot of work. I have always respected the upholstery craft. This
    project just made me respect the practitioners even more.

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Nice work on the headliner!

loudbang likes this.
  26. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Amazing skills, so many excellent tips to apply to any build.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and photos.

loudbang likes this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thank you 1959Nomad!

Thank you irant! I do try to share things that I think might be helpful to other builders. Some of them learned the hard way.....

Today's post is about armrests. That is one of the items we could not find reproduced or
    readily available. So I decided to try to restore them.Since this car had been sitting outside
    for decades the armrests had suffered. I am surprised the rats had not eaten them. One of
    had a few teeth marks on it but they were easily sanded out.
    IMG_3792R.jpg
    You can see the sag in the top of the arm rest.
    IMG_3793R.jpg
    We applied a small amount of heat and used the hammer to gently push the sag out of the
    part.
    IMG_3795R.jpg
    This worked pretty well as you can see.
    IMG_3796R.jpg
    This arm rest had a crack in it.
    IMG_3798R.jpg
    I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to keep the crack from spreading.
    IMG_3799R.jpg

IMG_3800R.jpg
    This screw boss was cracked. I used Grey Marine Tex to fix it. Sorry no picture of this ugly
    but strong repair.
    IMG_3802R.jpg
    I used Euro Gold glazing putty to build up the low spots.I chose this product because it
    is soft and easy to sand. I also chose it because the plastic is also soft. Since they are
    about the same hardness it was easier to blend the two. If I had chosen a harder bondo
    I think I would have had a harder time feathering as the plastic would have gone away
    before the putty.
    IMG_3803R.jpg

IMG_3829R.jpg

IMG_3830R.jpg
    There had been about 1/8" sag in this rear arm rest. I will show the finished product later.
    We need to put up another small paint booth to paint a few parts in the next couple of weeks.
    Al of the pads were in surprisingly good shape and we will be able recover them.

loudbang likes this.
  28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

GLASS! As usual we decided to install the glass in the Merc ourselves. It proved to be
    a very challenging project.

IMG_3818R.jpg
    Getting the rubber to conform to the glass took some time. The tape was used to hold
    the rubber on the glass. Without tapethe rubber would twist and fall off the glass.
    IMG_3821R.jpg
    Once the stainless trim was installed in the rubber seal the the seal would stay on the
    glass by itself.
    IMG_3822R.jpg
    IMG_3824R.jpg
    I had a cord and ball nosed tool to help with getting the rope in . The windshield was then
    placed gently against the body windshield flange and the cord was pulled out.we used liberal
    amounts of dawn dish soap mixed with water for lubricating the seal.

IMG_3831R.jpg
    It took three tries to get the windshield in. We thought that was difficult......
    IMG_3832R.jpg
    The rear glass took about 13 tries to get it right. The wrap around design proved to be
    difficult to center and place on the flange. We could get it close but once it was in
    we could not get it to slide on the flange to get the precise placement required for a decent
    fit. We initially did not use enough lubricant. Then when increased the amount of soap
    lubricant mix we could not keep the seal on the glass long enough to install the stainless
    trim in the seal let alone get it to the car for installation. So we had to super clean and dry
    the glass and seal. I then applied gorilla duct tape to hold the seal to the glass. This allowed us
    to install the stainless and get it to the car as an assembly. Note that the rope is installed in the
    seal so that it can be pulled out from both sides. The final time we installed the rear glass we
    put it on top first and carefully centered.The 13 tries were made over a 3 day period. we are so
    glad to have this window project out of the way.
    IMG_3834R.jpg
    Back glass in!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

29. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Miscellaneous stuff:
    IMG_3833R.jpg
    Don had these new shorter springs made in Spokane, more on them later!
    IMG_3836R.jpg
    After the springs were installed we were able to assemble the brakes.
    IMG_3848R.jpg
    And install the shocks
    IMG_3854R.jpg
    After installing the rear window we were able to start putting some more of that shiny
    stuff on the car. This waist band piece was quite long. because if it's location it needed
    to have rubber seals on the fastening clips.
    IMG_3850R.jpg
    Since the Carpenter pieces came without rubber seals I had to make some from some rubber
    gasket we had in stock.
    IMG_3851R.jpg

IMG_3853R.jpg

IMG_3855R.jpg
    It's time to prep and install the dash.
    IMG_3857R.jpg
    This dual stereo speaker is something I had never seen before. Don will not be using
    kick panel speakers. That is a microphone for the telephone on the left.
    IMG_3858R.jpg
    We had the dash in and out several times. We first discovered that the ashtray assembly
    had to be installed in the dash before it is installed in the car. Then we discovered that
    the glove box door left side bracket hit the air conditioner 1" before the glove box door
    could close So we had to modify that. Oh and the radio has to be installed before the
    dash goes in also. You would think would have known all of this..... Some things just get by
    us .
    IMG_3916R.jpg
    We eventually got it all in there and Don finished up the wiring
    IMG_3978R.jpg
    This Ron Francis Gray Stuff GS-10 was used to run the wires from the cowl area to the quarter panel
    along the drivers side of the floor.
    IMG_3889R.jpg
    Don used a Popsicle stick to push the wires into the slots. Double sided carpet tape was used
    to secure the conduit to the floor. This stuff needs to be hung in a warm place for a few days
    before you try to straighten it out and lay it on the floor.

IMG_3890R.jpg

IMG_3977R.jpg
    At the quarter panel area the wire is tucked in behind the door card and run back to
    the trunk.

Attached Files:

30. loudbang

loudbang

Getting close now. :)

1947knuck and The 39 guy like this.