Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods South East Gassers / A/FX / Altered Wheelbase Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tpw35, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I love this idea, but I agree that automatics should be allowed. Majority were automatics. I would love to come out and race with you guys when my car is finished, but My car is an auto. Also, just out of curiosity, was there every a weight to cubic inch rule? Would index racing be a better idea?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

3. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

South East Gassers are going to be on TV! Discovery channel Feb 27 at 10PM. Looks like an hour show. Tune in and watch the show!

4. tpw35

tpw35

It will be heads up racing like the other SEGA classes, that is what the fans want to see.

loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  5. catdad49

catdad49

There was Never a Doubt!

loudbang and Doctorterry like this.
  6. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. tpw35

tpw35

No rules will be posted this season, SEGA will do what they did with the super stock class, continue to run it exhibit style and Hopefully let the car count grow prior to posting official rules, for now the cars must meet the appearance guidelines.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  8. I have already talked to Rocky and Kelvin on rules and will be bringing an A/FX car to play next season. Already a legal A/G car, I'll just have to move the axles and change to injected alcohol. Love the A/FX cars since the beginning. I don't think you will ever see an automatic car with the SEGA. Never s spot or index. If you don't win, you didn't bring enough---go get some more.

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

this is going to be great!

10. tpw35

tpw35

What car are you working on? Pictures?

11. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I hope you’re wrong on the automatics

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 65 Barracuda S&M style. Just can't afford to stay in A/G anymore.
    As for automatics, maybe if we get some women interested.....

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I figured the 4 speed would make it a drivers race.

14. Exactly. The SEGA rules require a clutch assisted manual transmission. Puts it back on the driver. Anyone can drive an automatic.

chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

Robert, always root for the Black and Blue! I know you Two love what you are doing, can't wait to see the "New" Cuda.

16. We appreciate that more than you know, Thanks. It'll be close, but hope to make Shady Side with it. We just decided to do this a week ago. Rocky and Kelvin were very encouraging and helpful. Alkydigger is doing us an injection set-up as we speak. Pretty sure paint wont be done, but we try.

17. catdad49

catdad49

Wow, that's going to be a thrash! Rocky and Kelvin must be getting lonesome.

18. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

19. catdad49

catdad49

Still building in the basement? Moving both axles? Look at Squirrel's build thread on here, it may give you some ideas. You are going to post pics, right?! No matter, should be interesting, Carp.

20. Lots of bashing on the automatics. Let's look back at history shall we. Ronnie sox built a 4 speed cuda for a/fx. He quickly changed over to the automatic. So are you saying sox was a woman for driving a automatic? Looking at history one more time the a gas cars were never faster than the afx cars. Maybe the slower a gas cars were just easier to drive.

chryslerfan55, SS327, Pufff and 3 others like this.
  21. I'm saying he put in an automatic because of parts breakage. Manual transmissions have changed a bit since the old 833 days. The new ones can take it. MOST women cant drive a 4-speed clutch car. I don't care about your look at history. That's why it's history, it's gone.

22. I studied it very well. He helped me quite a bit on a few things. Nice car. I saw it when it came to Bristol. Very nice.

catdad49 likes this.
  23. With the new 4 speeds you only need the clutch for the launch. So your 3/4 of the way to a automatic.
    Per my personal conversation with ronnie breakage wasn't the reason for the switch.

chryslerfan55, Pufff and mad mikey like this.
  24. There is no clutchless shifting with Quain. Several have been caught trying and have been thrown out. An experienced racer can listen and hear a clutchless shift. We self police and have 99.9% clutch assisted shifts. If you get beat by a clutchless shifter and you are using the clutch...You will say something. It's not ratting the guy out, it's just the rule. Good for one, good for all. Until you have run a few seasons with Quain, it's hard to realize just how even and fair the rules are and are enforced. Some just do their homework better than others.
    In the SEGA the clock stops at 1967. This was my time to run and had to give up because of the newer technologies most couldn't afford. You can have all the power in the world, but if you can't hook it with a small tire..
    My wife was deadly with an automatic, she now has a 4-speed and is learning all over.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    chryslerfan55, catdad49 and jim snow like this.
  25. The videos posted from in car cameras tell a different story. The new easy shifting four speed with vertical gates connected to soft touch clutches just castrated the balls off a man's four speed. The rules do say 1967 but the clutch and trans technology used today is anything but 1967. They are still fun to watch. Afx cars and a gas cars are different animals and shouldn't be lumped together with the same rules applying to all.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    chryslerfan55, Pufff and mad mikey like this.
  26. I cut the frame off near the firewall, new rails are tacked in place. Axle ready to locate tonight probably. All brackets ready made to move rear axle. Biggest hold up will be modifying front fenders. Squirrel posted some good how to pics of this procedure. Not to mention I haven't built the engine yet. Machine work done, just not assembled.

27. tpw35

tpw35

How far are you moving the axles?

28. The rear was already up a little, so only going up 8". Front will go up 16". I have the measurements from the long nose cars of the day and plotted them on a side view of the real car. Makes it easier to measure from say, a door frame fender molding or an axle c/l.

29. tpw35

tpw35

Cool, so you are stretching the front end?

30. Yes. Go look at the AWB build by squirrel for step by step pics.