Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead/T5 TO Brg options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Looking for suggestions for my motor/tranny set up. Have an 8ba with the 2 piece bellhousing (hogs head), a Dwight Bond adapter and a T5. I'm using a stock flathead 3 finger clutch and currently have the stock TO bearing installed. I'm using the Dwight Bond Model A pedal shaft, utilizing stock A pedals and clutch hardware. As far as the pedals go, it all just fell together with stock parts. Very nice. The issue I have is, I'm about 3/4" from the face of the bearing to the face of the fingers. By the time I apply all the travel I have in the clutch pedal, I'm hardly pressing on the fingers. Even with the clevis adjustment taken all the way up, it just makes contact with the fingers. I'm still short on travel.

What I'm looking for is a deeper (longer ?) TO brg. to take up the 3/4" distance to the fingers. I could make a sleeve/spacer to go behind the bearing to keep it from travelling back so much but, the clutch arm is drilled and pinned. If I put in a spacer, it will move my arm forward and I'll just end up with the same problem I have when I adjust the clevis all the way up.

Does anyone have this adapter set up with a non-stock TO brg and if so, do you remember which bearing you used?

We thought we had all the geometry worked out. We had the whole car together and sitting in the street running when the clutch wouldn't disengage. The horror. That'll teach me to put everything together without a test drive. Thanks in advance (I hope!)

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Any pics? What size bearing retainer? Typical Ford clutch release fork? There is a modern throw out bearing that has the diameter to mate to the long style pp.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't you just lengthen the link between the pedal and clutch shaft to reduce the T/O clearance to the desired tenth" or so? That's normally what is done.

5. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

big duece-It’s the stock clutch fork and bearing retainer.

V8 Bob-Two reasons I can’t lengthen the clevis. First, because of the geometry of the connection point on the pedal, even with the stock clevis, once you run it out all the way, it begins to bind and won’t swivel. Second, if I were to lengthen it, I would have a mile of pedal travel. I have plenty of travel, I’m just starting out too far away from touchdown.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have one here that I pressed a bronze liner in to mate with GM T5, but ended up not using it. I can press the bushing out if you want to try it. I ended up using a diaphragm PP and could not use this big if bearing.

8. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Here's the throw out/fork and the pedals.

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Hmm, you may be on to something. It's a lot deeper than the stock one. If its not too buried could you get me an ID, OD and depth measurement?

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Outside diameter is 3 7/16 3.437, ID is 1.750, overall height is 1.992 and 1.355

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Pics 20190223_212043.jpeg 20190223_212057.jpeg 20190223_212109.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't know the "A" linkage pulls rather than pushes. It looks like a shorter link would move the T/O forward, by replacing your link and using a full threaded eye bolt going into a female clevis, from the pedal to clutch release arm?

13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

big duece-man, thanks so much for going to the trouble. That helps a lot.

V8 Bob-But I’ve already chromed everything! Haha! That is a thought. As long as my pedal doesn’t run out of travel back towards the seat. The only problem I see with what you’re suggesting is you may be limited in the amount of adjustment but, once you figure out the basic set up, you wouldn’t need too much adjustment anyway.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Why don't you contact Dwight Bond? He sold the kit so he should be able to trouble shoot your problem.

15. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Interesting...but fear there is only one spread value of forks.
    Watching intently...Beautiful machine, polish, and finish work on tranny and related items!

17. Ziggster

Ziggster

I was just wondering the same thing as I went through my pile of parts. I have a T5 (mustang) with a MDL adapter. At the moment my input shaft is not correct, but the depth of your hogs head relative to the trans looks much different than mine.
    image.jpeg

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I thought it fit pretty well, is your fork Ford or aftermarket? 20190306_201329.jpeg 20190306_201311.jpeg 20190306_201301.jpeg 20190306_201359.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Ziggster

Ziggster

The hogs head is Ford. I'm speaking about the how deep my input shaft mtg bolts are relative to the adapter surface compared to yours. Again, I need to change my input shaft as it is a 94 type, but the adapter from MDL is actually counter bored on the mating surface to the T5 to allow space for those input shaft mtg bolts. Yours looks different. The MDL adapter is 1.125" thick between the mounting surfaces of the T5 and hogs head, and has a center ring that protrudes from the hogs head mounting surface to center it. It would seem on mine the forks would be moved further away from the T5 and towards the engine than on yours.
    image.jpeg

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I did a customer car several years ago that used a Shadow Rods Mustang trans to FH Ford adapter and they sent a TO bearing that had clips on it to go over the fork. It combined with a Mustang diaphragm PP that bolted to the FH flywheel worked great.

21. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like these? I'm using a '51 Merc full cast bell, fork and T/O bearing with a Mustang T-5. The '49-'53 Ford/'51-'53 Merc (and maybe later) used this style T/O bearing with the clips.

upload_2019-3-7_12-21-9.jpeg

22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

That's the bearing

23. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Big Duece-Your fork is different than mine. I think I have another one somewhere. Mine is thicker (if I do say so myself) and so the groove in the bearing carrier won’t slide all the way down. Thanks for that pic. It helps.

Atwater Mike-Thank you! We tried to make it look decent. It’s kind of scuzzy right now. Need to give it a quick polish before it goes back in.

24. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Dig through my spares and found the other fork. The bearing slipped right on. Woo hoo!