Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you say Engine or Motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Dec 20, 2018.

1. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

And don’t forget electric starter engine and slot car engine

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and oliver westlund like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I was hoping on it.....

3. At the end of the day does it really matter if you say motor or engine ? :rolleyes:

It probably has a lot to do where you were raised, different words meaning the same thing. HRP

Oldioron and egads like this.
  4. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

5. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha...if it won't fire, guess it don't matter what you call it!

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's funny how it does to some.....

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

What about Mill

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was just wondering that myself!!! Motors run on volts, engines have all kinds of mechanical bits, cyclic movements and a variety of power sources, like steam even. But a mill? As in a stamp mill with reciprocating parts? Or what? Gary

9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Mills grind grain but or powered by a motor or an engine

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Ok what's a water powered wheel called, as in a dam.

11. About 60 years ago I was at a gas station and some hot dog pulled in with his '50 Olds. Being a dorky high school kid I said "what ya got in it?" He looked down his nose at me and said "a mill". So there ya go.

12. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I don't think the term used is that critical, and admit I have referred ti the "motive energy generators" in my vehicles as either the "engine" kr the "motor" depending on how cultured I happened to want to appear, but just to maintain my standard of originality, also call them the "cooker".
    As long as they fire up when the key is turned, sound good, and go like they're stolen, who cares?

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A stamp mill is used to crush rock into smaller bits prior to chemical refining. Gary

14. Dang! There's one up the street from my house and I was hoping that since it is a mill, I could put it in my car. I guess that won't work.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Not again!!!..... :mad::rolleyes:

Oldioron and Truck64 like this.
  16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Motor Mill

IMG_0867.JPG

Oldioron likes this.
  17. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

18. Is that the same as a mill motor?

19. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I was taught that an engine runs on fuel and a motor is electric.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Matthew Piedl

Matthew Piedl

All engines are motors. But it doesn't work the other way. Engine by definition, means thermal energy is turned into mechanical work. I usually say "motor"...

21. Sad but I'm sorry
    you are another who was taught wrong.

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Let's look at this etymologically.

Engine has a suggestion of "clever device" to it. It is related to words like ingenuity and genius, which come from generate, genesis, etc. There is a sense of invention to it, a sense of crafted complexity. Hence steam engine, siege engine, even fire engine. Charles Babbage's mechanical difference engine encapsulates that sense perfectly.

Motor has a more purely functional connotation. It is simply something which produces motion. It is one of a fairly obvious set of words related to move.

My problem with electric propulsion is that there isn't enough to an electric motor – even less to a battery – to make it an engine. There is none of that Frankensteinian golem-like sense of mechanical life which make proper engines so cool; and hence, ironically if you think about it, instead a feeling of soullessness.

On a different point, I think the meaning in expressions like motorcycle, motor car, motorboat, etc. is more "self-propelled" in the sense of producing its own motion by whatever means, than "possessing a motor". The British usage of motor in the automotive sense refers to the entire vehicle, as an abbreviation of motor car, notably as in the Thames Valley mo'-ah. Hence the now defunct weekly magazine, The Motor.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do we put a blower or a supercharger or a huffer on our motors? I mean, engines? I mean, mills?

Did Chuck Berry motivate or engivate over that hill when he saw Maybelline in that Coupe DeVille?

24. 34Dream'n

34Dream'n

A long time ago (30 years?), I was reading a similar discussion. The following was the argument I liked best and has been my guidance on this issue ever since.

When Cale Yarborough stops saying that he "blow'd up his motor on the backstretch", that's when I'll stop calling it a motor!!

I realize that Cale probably doesn't make that statement much anymore, but I still like to use "motor", ...... kind of a tribute to Cale and the good old days of NASCAR!!

25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Those are the good old days of NASCAR! They'd wreck each other trying to win, then try to beat the hell out of each other when the cars came to a stop.